Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: UCC supporters club update

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

UCC supporters club update

Seven of us turned up yesterday including a couple of the FourFiveOne lads. This was brilliant since terrible notice was given by me. Thanks to them again.

For what the meeting was yesterday, I thought, and I hope the others did too, it was very successful. Everyone present agreed on what the principle objective should be for a Student Supporters' Club i.e. to promote Cork City on campus.

UCC is a community of people with a population of 13000 approx and we were all agreed that this is a community that needs to be tapped into in an organised fashion.

Therefore we yesterday agreed on some provisional aims and methods by which these aims would be achieved:

AIMS
    1 There needs to be a solid UCC Cork City FC Supporters Club fully ready well in advance of the 2004 season.
    2 A UCC supporters club should work in conjunction with the other third levels in Cork i.e. promotional exercises and other support and ideas.
    3 We would need to have a system in place whereby incoming first years from 2004-5 onwards are ready to join.
    4 Also, between now and the end of the season as soon as we get Society Guild Clearance, some basic promotion of home games will be carried out such as posters etc.

METHODS
    1 The university paper as well as Campus Radio, kindly suggested by Ruairi will be extremely handy devices by which we would promote ourselves in a variety of different ways.
    2 A supporters club of this nature would also benefit from contribution/support offered to sporting clubs within the UCC network. e.g. The UCC soccer club run an annual football tournament called the Quarry Cup which is sponsored by Guinness - the possibilities of partnership of some shape or form are quite evident.
    There is also the Pat Dolanesque option of wishing luck to clubs who reach finals etc. e.g when the hurlers go on the Fitzgibbon weekend, as much as it may pain some people (!!), a public indication of our hopes for their success could only be beneficial for our football clubs good name.
    3 In much the same vein, UCC Societies that have a worthy cause or a political dimension (which would have to be acceptable to our members) could also raise Cork City Football Club in the estimations of a lot of students. e.g the St Vincent de Paul society or an Anti-Racism society etc.
    Of course, we would avoid any opportunism and would treat people with more respect than to simply use them for our own ends.

In the short term, we need to sort all the beauracracy and once we have a clear path to this club's formation, we will announce a more structured preliminary meeting that will hopefully take place in 3 or 4 weeks time. This will be announced with better notice than the last time and will be a fuller, more productive occasion where everyone will know where we stand.

Thanks to everyone who has wished us luck/offered ideas etc.
    I hope if anyone has thoughts on what I've just written that they please respond.

Enjoy Friday night, whoever is going.

John Riordan
    Last edited by vito_golightly; 29/10/2003 at 2:29 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Best of luck with it I'm only sorry that it comes 3 years too late for me!!

I floated the motion of having a Dublin based supporters club a while back and didn't get any feedback but sounds like you'll be more successful so again best of luck.
    Up she Flew!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Conor74
    Best of luck with it. Hope you tap in to the thousands of students from areas outside Cork who have no idea that this product is on their doorstep. Know a good few around these parts at UCC and will try to get them to go along.
    spot the ff'er trying to hijack and corrupt young, impressionable city fans

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Best of luck with that, John! I konw from experience how hard it is to tap in to students, so you've got your work cut out!!!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Students? Difficult?

Whatever happened to just getting loads of drink off some rep and giving free vouchers left, right and centre? Don't a certain international drinks company with HQ at James' Gate in Dublin sponsor City. Time for them to cough up a little...
    I thought FF were trying to crack down on young people drinking

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Obviously you have never been to the annual Ógra FF do
    No. Nor would I contemplate going without heavy weaponry

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Students? Difficult?

Whatever happened to just getting loads of drink off some rep and giving free vouchers left, right and centre? Don't a certain international drinks company with HQ at James' Gate in Dublin sponsor City. Time for them to cough up a little...
    Hmmm...good point. Unfortunately UCD banned drinks promotions about four years, which really screwed us over...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Originally posted by pineapple stu
    Hmmm...good point. Unfortunately UCD banned drinks promotions about four years, which really screwed us over...
    yer whole budwieser sponsorship is kinda pointless from their point of view so yea!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    "wine and cheese",
    the ol' reliables

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "wine and cheese"
    or cider and crisps and one soc did it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Originally posted by joe
    or cider and crisps and one soc did it
    fecking cowpunchers for ya

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? That's unbelievable.
    Yep, not too far off my reaction either! What was worse was that it was the start of our second year, when we'd gotten the hang of running a society from the first year and had some good ideas for the second year (drinks promotions in the bar for all Ireland games [with UCD posters in prominent positions], free-to-enter eL fantasy football with drink as the prizes, drinks promotions at UCD games, probably some other stuff which I can't remember - possibly 'cos of drink, I don't know...!)

On our Budweiser sponsorship, the story goes that in 1985, we won the World Collegiate Championships in Mexico. This only involved about 8 colleges, most from the US or Mexico, but it's still about the biggest (sizewise) trophy in our trophy cabinet! Anyway, Budweiser were trying to break into the Irish market at the time (you could only really get Harp Lager then) and saw this performance and have been our sponsors ever since! Course, all that'll end if this law against drinks advertising comes into affect!