Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    As I said before, it is their right if they want to take it up. If they have that sort of sound infrastructure as is mentioned here, then another chance will come along again when they might be better placed.
    Should be thrown out of A league if they don't accept promotion. Why enter it in the first place?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well they probably thought the FAI might have shown just a little more interest in the first division. I think Mervue are right in making a stand on this. The question has to be asked what is the incentive for teams like Mervue to join the LOI. Other than the slight step up in quality of football there is little else and their manager Johnny Glynn has said as much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maroon ultra View Post
    Well they probably thought the FAI might have shown just a little more interest in the first division. I think Mervue are right in making a stand on this. The question has to be asked what is the incentive for teams like Mervue to join the LOI. Other than the slight step up in quality of football there is little else and their manager Johnny Glynn has said as much.
    I have no problem with jumior clubs staying junior BTW I just think that if they're either in the league (and agree to all the conditions etc) or they're not
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Should be thrown out of A league if they don't accept promotion. Why enter it in the first place?
    thats a bit harsh Dodge!! would it be better for them to step up, find out they can't afford it and go bust or drop out mid-season to save the club???

all the word coming from mervue utd. is they are thinking long and hard about it and going to make the best decision for the club.

they surely didn't expect to have to make this decision this soon and had probably budgeted on A division for a few years first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    thats a bit harsh Dodge!! would it be better for them to step up, find out they can't afford it and go bust or drop out mid-season to save the club???
    Nope, they should figure out if they can do it, and make the decision accordingly. if they enter the first division, I wish them nothing but luck. if they refuse, then please make way for a club that has ambitions

they surely didn't expect to have to make this decision this soon and had probably budgeted on A division for a few years first.
    There's, what, 4 or 5 non LOI teams in the A league. Surely, they must've though they were in with a shout.
    ---

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    There's, what, 4 or 5 non LOI teams in the A league. Surely, they must've though they were in with a shout.
    3. Mervue, Salthill and Tullamore. I'm 100% in agreement with Dodge tbh. If they have no intention of making the step up then they have no business playing in the 'A' League. I hope they do take their place in the First Division but if they don't, for whatever reason, what purpose exactly are they serving in the 'A' League? If it's solely for experience for players then I'm sure that Galway United signed some bodies for their own 'A' team... I just don't see any purpose in Mervue sustaining a team solely to play 14 games a year in the 'A' Championship.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    I just don't see any purpose in Mervue sustaining a team solely to play 14 games a year in the 'A' Championship.
    with no connacht senior league both of Galways big amateur clubs Mervue and Salthill presumably decided to join the A League as the only other option they had was junior football, which isn't great in Galway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Did Mervue and the other clubs not have to agree to make the step up to the League at the time of joining the A Championship?

I'm nearly sure I read something about such an agreement..
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    with no connacht senior league both of Galways big amateur clubs Mervue and Salthill presumably decided to join the A League as the only other option they had was junior football, which isn't great in Galway.
    I can totally accept that from the point of view of the clubs but from the league's point of view then I still fail to see what they're bringing to the table. This question isn't a side swipe at you in any fashion galwayhoop but is the 'A' Championship the bottom rung of the national senior league or an extension of the junior set up then?
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12