Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul McGrath

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    but we shouldn't downplay Robbies international record.
    If anyone seeks to downplay SIXTY-EIGHT international goals, they need to re-assess their entire life! I mean.....68.

We often had to do without McGrath (and I absolutely adore the man), and we could get by as we had other options who could do a good job, but Robbie could get us wins in game's we'd have drawn otherwise, or gain us draws instead of losses. Regularly, for a ridiculously long time.
    Doesn't feel right to compare the two players anyway.

But, come on, Robbie's goal tally puts him in the top 5 players ever, because that goal tally is 68.

As someone said, only in Ireland.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    The question of who were Ireland's best players ever is always very subjective. Is the question which player played the best or was the most essential for Ireland over a prolonged International career or alternatively who was the best player to ever line out for Ireland if we consider their career as a whole including their club form? If it's the former then it's hard to overlook Robbie Keane as being a contender and even less talented players like Richard Dunne for instance. If it's the latter then unfortunately Dunne wouldn't get a look in but Keane could still make a case albeit far less of one than his namesake Roy or McGrath. I would argue as a player he wasn't in the same league as either when you consider his career as a whole.

On a sidenote in a segment on Sky recently where Townsend was picking a team of the best players he ever played with throughout his career he claimed McGrath was hands down the best player he had ever seen. He mentioned a story at Aston Villa where McGrath was on an exercise bike during training (as he didn't train with the rest of the team) when the coach increased the incline at which point he jumped off. When he was asked angrily why he stopped cycling McGrath apparently replied that he always gets off his bike to push it up hills. Apparently he still came out that weekend and put in a motm performance as per usual.
    Last edited by youngirish; 16/12/2019 at 9:30 AM.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Robbie Keane is a legend but there's no comparison between him and Paul McGrath. Paul is in a league of his own, best player we'll every have, no doubt about it in my mind. Virgil van Dijk is the closest thing to McGrath in today's game, and he's not nearly as good. Top five players I've seen for Ireland, born in 1983 myself:

5)Denis Irwin
    4)Robbie Keane
    3)Damien Duff
    2)Roy Keane
    1)Paul McGrath

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    If anyone seeks to downplay SIXTY-EIGHT international goals, they need to re-assess their entire life! I mean.....68.

We often had to do without McGrath (and I absolutely adore the man), and we could get by as we had other options who could do a good job, but Robbie could get us wins in game's we'd have drawn otherwise, or gain us draws instead of losses. Regularly, for a ridiculously long time.
    Doesn't feel right to compare the two players anyway.

But, come on, Robbie's goal tally puts him in the top 5 players ever, because that goal tally is 68.

As someone said, only in Ireland.
    It's also worth comparing him with second place on that metric: Niall Quinn on 21.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Paul McGrath made more than 68 crucial interceptions, I can tell you that.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Paul McGrath made more than 68 crucial interceptions, I can tell you that.
    In about 10 matches

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I think if I was to go off-the-top of my head without thinking I have always said my top-3:

Denis Irwin
    Roy Keane
    Robbie Keane

Paul is in his own category. Beyond those mere mortals.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Reprint in today's independent from when McGrath announced his retirement: https://www.independent.ie/sport/on-...-39134196.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Did his son make it as a pro?

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    He signed for Liverpool and played for Ireland under 16 but never went much further. This is the last article I can find about him, playing alongside his own son; https://www.somersetcountygazette.co...t-premier-cup/

Tallaght Stadium Regular

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Now and then, I would look to Football365 as an easy-reading source of football news and articles. A columnist on the site, John Nicholson, wrote a lengthy article on Paul McGrath which was published yesterday. Very interesting to see a British journalist write about Paul in the awe-struck tone that an Irish football supporter would use. The article includes plenty quotes from fans and footballers and links to his documentary, three of his finest moments and his interview with Tommy Tiernan. I actually watched that interview back again- amazing to see him speak so naturally about how he closes the curtains and drinks at home and says, almost by-the-way, that he has started talking to himself.

It's not ground-breaking, it is quite long but it is very digestible so worth a read or a scroll: https://www.football365.com/news/eve...-villa-ireland

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I rewatched that Italy game recently with Aberdonian Stu and Schumi in a zoom beers thing. McGrath is immense in it, but so is Irwin, and several more are superb too. It's a great performance, but it's not the one-man band of legend.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Finest ROI player I've ever seen, and that includes Roy Keane, Liam Brady and Johnny Giles (just caught the tail-end of his career).

I'd have him as a contender for your finest ever (alongside maybe Hurley and Carey?)

21. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Finest ROI player I've ever seen, and that includes Roy Keane, Liam Brady and Johnny Giles (just caught the tail-end of his career).

I'd have him as a contender for your finest ever (alongside maybe Hurley and Carey?)
    He certainly had a very high number of top class performances and played a lot for us too considering his injury / other issues.

Performing for Ireland he would have to be right up there. How good would he have been without the injury Issues !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Everybody played well in that Italy game. Poor Tommy Coyne ran the legs off himself for little reward.
    Sheridan should've scored in second half. Houghton also came close as McAteer was on sideline waiting to replace him. Great day.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    I rewatched that Italy game recently with Aberdonian Stu and Schumi in a zoom beers thing. McGrath is immense in it, but so is Irwin, and several more are superb too. It's a great performance, but it's not the one-man band of legend.
    Completely agree. Biggest takeaway was how comfortable we were for the vast majority of it, particularly the first half as they didn't lay a glove on us. The early goal was huge of course with the way we were set up, we were always going to be difficult to break down.

The adulation for McGrath kind of belies how comfortable we were really, he was excellent but hardly a one man rearguard à la Dunne in Moscow.

That midfield trio of Keane, Townsend and Sheridan made his life relatively straightforward, not to mention the rest of the back five doing their stuff well.

Obviously McGrath's hat-trick of interceptions from Baggio is an iconic piece of footage, but maybe paints an inaccurate picture that we were under the cosh more than we were. Babb was pretty lucky not to give away a pen, think VAR would give it for sure.

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    It was some came but we should have scored a second (and not just Sheridan hitting the bar). We had the Italians on the back foot for a fair amount of the second half. Tremendous performance and makes the performance against Mexico all the more difficult to stomach (or it just highlights how big of a factor the heart was in that match).
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    This is a very interesting observation LR, I can't recall it, but A LOT of big Paul's interviews have been like that (well, any that I've heard, including the recent one on his HoF award with that arsehole Dervan). I know that speaking isn't his thing, particularly when there's a camera on him, but for god sake, you'd think that one of the proper sports journos could do a decent interview with him, that would allow him to speak without resorting to clichés, but also to put functional, interesting questions to him that would be of interest to football fans.

I always want to hear more from McGrath, as much now as ever, given he's in what could be described as as good a place as hes ever been.
    Thought it'd be better to reply to this in his own thread. You might not have seen this, with Tommy Tiernan from last year. A bit more relaxed/off the cuff than most of his other interviews.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    https://www.the42.ie/paul-mcgrath-at...61730-Feb2021/

There's never a bad article to read about Paul McGrath. Considering the incredible issues he was having off the field and the injuries, it's remarkable that he's held in such awe by everyone who played with him. I think his legend will only ever continue to grow and we'll be lucky to have been the generation who witnessed him play.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

30. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    https://www.the42.ie/paul-mcgrath-at...61730-Feb2021/

There's never a bad article to read about Paul McGrath. Considering the incredible issues he was having off the field and the injuries, it's remarkable that he's held in such awe by everyone who played with him. I think his legend will only ever continue to grow and we'll be lucky to have been the generation who witnessed him play.
    Great Player and he even played the holding role in midfield with bad knees.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast