Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trapattoni - Questionable?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    The game against Cyprus clearly shouldn't have been a draw, we were worthy winners and perhaps he meant some people don't know anything about football if they thought otherwise.

As for questioning Traps methods, it is absolutely ridiculous to badmouth him because of the amount of games he goes to. Everyone has a method, a system, a way of working (except a Mr Staunton). Trapattoni's has seen him be one of the worlds most succesfull managers of all time. Now we have him at Ireland and people whinge because he doesn't watch every game in person. How big a difference would it really make if he went to games??

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    The game against Cyprus clearly shouldn't have been a draw, we were worthy winners and perhaps he meant some people don't know anything about football if they thought otherwise.
    As for questioning Traps methods, it is absolutely ridiculous to badmouth him because of the amount of games he goes to. Everyone has a method, a system, a way of working (except a Mr Staunton). Trapattoni's has seen him be one of the worlds most succesfull managers of all time. Now we have him at Ireland and people whinge because he doesn't watch every game in person. How big a difference would it really make if he went to games??

I watch every Ireland match and usually 5-6 Premiership matches every weekend. I guess I don't know much about football because I thought a draw would have been a much fairer result. Cyprus were all over us for most of the second half and we were very lucky to get three points in my humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    All over us? Much better than us? Please, they had one scrambled opportunity that wasn't on target, and we had a few chances to score at the other end. it was nervy yes, but only because it was Ireland and we're used to watching us throw away those games.

Besides, what of the fact that Cyprus had taken Italy apart previously? Their having one big chance against us doesn't look as bad when you consider they repeatedly took Italy apart.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    All over us? Much better than us? Please, they had one scrambled opportunity that wasn't on target, and we had a few chances to score at the other end. it was nervy yes, but only because it was Ireland and we're used to watching us throw away those games.

Besides, what of the fact that Cyprus had taken Italy apart previously? Their having one big chance against us doesn't look as bad when you consider they repeatedly took Italy apart.
    Here is the report on the game from the FIFA site

The victory kept the Irish second in the pool behind Italy, and went some way towards erasing the memory of their 5-2 defeat by Cyprus in UEFA EURO 2008 qualifying.

However, Cyprus dominated the play for long periods after half-time, and squandered a great chance to equalise when Dimitris Christofi blasted over the bar from five metres out after goalkeeper Shay Given blocked a shot from Michael Constantinou.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post
    Lads
    I know some are worried and I can see why , but Trap is an A1 class manager just keep behind him and everything will be fine in the end and we can all look forward to a trip to SA on the back of him .

We have to back him ...........
    Trap was an A1 class manager, in the 70s and 80s. Now he is an old man in semi-retirement. We will not get anywhere near to SA with him and that is the stone cold truth. With the players we have available we could do a decent job and push for qualification or even a playoff place, but with the players being picked we will be lucky to get third.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    With the players we have available we could do a decent job and push for qualification or even a playoff place, but with the players being picked we will be lucky to get third.
    Yeh cos we got so close to qualifying the last time with different players selected

How pessimistic are Irish people? There are some negatives in the last 6months but come on, just go with the flow at the moment. We're doing OK in the group and have a reasonbly settled side that has great respect for the manager. Just let them get on with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Trap was an A1 class manager, in the 70s and 80s.
    Yeah, all he won in the 90's and 00's was the UEFA Cup twice (90/91 and 92/93), the Bundesliga (96/97), the German Cup (97/98), the SuperLiga (04/05) and the Austrian Bundesliga (06/07)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Yeah, all he won in the 90's and 00's was the UEFA Cup twice (90/91 and 92/93), the Bundesliga (96/97), the German Cup (97/98), the SuperLiga (04/05) and the Austrian Bundesliga (06/07)
    It's such a pity that he can no longer judge a player when he sees one because he's gone completely blind, as indeed you would if you'd seen as many naked footballers in dressing rooms as he has over the years. No wonder Jack and Mick are thinking about managing a ladies team. And if only his tactical systems weren't so out of date - no one plays defensively like that any more, certainly not world class managers like Mourinho and Capello and half the managers in Serie A. It's such a pity too that he's surrounded by idiots like the former Italy U21 manager and the head of Arsenal's youth development programme.

I think we should put him down before he kills himself getting out of the bathtub, taking a valuable bar of soap with him. We should install some assclown from the internet as manager, so we can play Steven Ireland and Andy Reid and return to the glory days of beating Wales and a small mountain in Italy.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The only problem I have with weldoniniho, because everyone has a right to their opinion, is he wont post often, and in 5 months if we are doing well and sitting pretty we will never here from him again.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Trap was an A1 class manager, in the 70s and 80s. Now he is an old man in semi-retirement. We will not get anywhere near to SA with him and that is the stone cold truth. With the players we have available we could do a decent job and push for qualification or even a playoff place, but with the players being picked we will be lucky to get third.
    id take a look at our group if iwas you mate. Our next game is Georgia at home, in all honesty a match we should win. That puts us 7 points ahead of third placed Bulgaria. So realisitcally we should be 7 points ahead of Bulgaria when they come to Croker. The turmoil they are in at the moment it is hard to see them beating us. Should we beat Georgia and not lose to Bulgaria then it would quite frankly be embarressing if we dont get second place.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    id take a look at our group if iwas you mate. Our next game is Georgia at home, in all honesty a match we should win. That puts us 7 points ahead of third placed Bulgaria. So realisitcally we should be 7 points ahead of Bulgaria when they come to Croker. The turmoil they are in at the moment it is hard to see them beating us. Should we beat Georgia and not lose to Bulgaria then it would quite frankly be embarressing if we dont get second place.
    It wouldn't be we started off better this time because we had hte luck of the draw and the easier games at home. We got a point away from home like we did against slovakia who are probably on an equal with montenegro when the campaign ends. IF we lose two away games to bulgaria and italy it will not quite frankly be embarassing if didnt qualify, but a reality that we might not actually qualify. 2 games will make all the difference.

I don't see how people seem to think that if you start off with wins against the two lesser nations in a group you are going to qualify. Just think back to NI when they started off brilliantly but then had the harder games to come and got found out. At the end of the day you can only judge at the end of the group, getting points against weaker nations at the start counts for NOTHING as its expected, no matter when you come up against them.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Just think back to NI when they started off brilliantly but then had the harder games to come and got found out.
    NI's qualification hopes ultimately died at the hands of Latvia and Iceland. BTW they lost their opening game of that campaign 3-0 at home to Iceland.

Anyways, of tradition, we are a very weak away side. Considering Bulgaria took 2 points from their 2 away games against Georgia and Montenegro, I'm happy we have 4 points from those 2 games. But there's a long way to go yet as you say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Bulgaria played Georgia away and drew and we won that match so we are 2 points up there. We are equal on the Montenegro away game as we both took a point there.

We have beaten Cyprus at home so they now have to match that and we have to match them drawing against Italy at home. If we beat Georgia at home they will have to match that also.

At the moment we are 2 points ahead of Bulgaria in my view.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    NI's qualification hopes ultimately died at the hands of Latvia and Iceland. BTW they lost their opening game of that campaign 3-0 at home to Iceland.

Anyways, of tradition, we are a very weak away side. Considering Bulgaria took 2 points from their 2 away games against Georgia and Montenegro, I'm happy we have 4 points from those 2 games. But there's a long way to go yet as you say.
    Ya but the following week they bounced back with a great victory. Latvia also qualified for the euros didnt they the campaign before, so they wouldn't have been that poor.Anyway I spose my point was more geared towards the good start being a false hope/dawn.

We played georgia in what was a very bad time for htem and a game away from their home with about 3000 irish fans to 300 georgian fans. We are 2 points better off only because of circumstance I beleive.

Bulgaria also managed to score twice against Montenegro away from home. Scoring away from home has been a big problem for us, hence we never win
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 25/11/2008 at 3:31 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Yes exactly Neil, and thats only because of circumstance.

In the same way people are jumping on Trap after the poland result, people jumped on saying how great a return 7 from 9 etc etc was. They were relatively easy games in teh group and I explained them above. If we came away with 7 from 9 from bulgaria twice and italy once then we could start jumping up and down celebrating. However this isn't going to happen. We have done absoloutely nothing yet(given the opposition i mean), and very little more than we did with Staunton, bar a terrible result against cyprus away.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    It doesn't matter paul_oshea. It's 3 points in the bag. Sometimes you can be fortunate to play a side depleted by injuries. We benefitted from a FIFA ruling but we still had to go out and win the game. Don't particularly remember the game but besides from a free header and the goal at the end, I don't think they caused us much trouble. In other words it was a competent and organised display by our boys away from home.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Yes exactly Neil, and thats only because of circumstance.

In the same way people are jumping on Trap after the poland result, people jumped on saying how great a return 7 from 9 etc etc was. They were relatively easy games in teh group and I explained them above. If we came away with 7 from 9 from bulgaria twice and italy once then we could start jumping up and down celebrating. However this isn't going to happen. We have done absoloutely nothing yet(given the opposition i mean), and very little more than we did with Staunton, bar a terrible result against cyprus away.
    Completely underestimating Cyprus and Montenegro. The only bad side in this group is Georgia

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan 82 View Post
    Completely underestimating Cyprus and Montenegro. The only bad side in this group is Georgia
    Likewise I think you are underestimating georgia, they are a tough team to beat at HOME. I think montenegro are on a par with the likes of macedonia/slovakia etc. As the group games go on I beleive they will feature less(unless of course bulgaria implode).

Yes fortune and circumstance do play a huge part ifk, and they could yet play an even bigger part for us, where it becomes only a 2 horse race due to bulgaria going through turmoil. Hopefully that is the case, but hopefully we prove we can play as well.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Bulgaria played Georgia away and drew and we won that match so we are 2 points up there. We are equal on the Montenegro away game as we both took a point there.

We have beaten Cyprus at home so they now have to match that and we have to match them drawing against Italy at home. If we beat Georgia at home they will have to match that also.

I like this post. It makes far more sense looking at it this way than having a glance at a very misleading group table. Having said that psychology is a big thing in football and it might serve us well running into an early lead. It puts massive pressure on Bulgaria not to slip up again and gets us into a winning habbit. True though, the only difference really between ourselves and Bulgaria so far is the 3 points we picked up in an empty stadium in Germany compared to their 1 point in the far more difficult Tblisi, we'll take what we can get though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    I like this post. It makes far more sense looking at it this way than having a glance at a very misleading group table. Having said that psychology is a big thing in football and it might serve us well running into an early lead. It puts massive pressure on Bulgaria not to slip up again and gets us into a winning habbit. True though, the only difference really between ourselves and Bulgaria so far is the 3 points we picked up in an empty stadium in Germany compared to their 1 point in the far more difficult Tblisi, we'll take what we can get though.
    Is that a monks one or an acquired behavior pattern regularly followed until it has become almost involuntary?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast