Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Taoiseach to launch Menton book

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Post Taoiseach to launch Menton book

Taoiseach to launch Menton book

The eagerly awaited book by former FAI General Secretary and treasurer Brendan Menton detailing his six years in office at the association will be launched by An Taoiseach Bertie Ahern on Wednesday, October 29.

Menton’s book titled ’Beyond The Green Door’ will reveal the often turbulent that he encountered during his time working at the Merrion square premises.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Our leader will do anything for a bit of publicity. Why he would want to be associated with Menton and the FAI though beats me.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Originally posted by niamh
    Our leader will do anything for a bit of publicity. Why he would want to be associated with Menton and the FAI though beats me.
    Yeah Bertie is essentially endorsing the book by launching it.

Even for a guy so addicted to publicity seems a strange move for Bertie as the book can only be a bad thing surely...
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    On a more general level, Keely is also critical of the manner in which Menton has appeared to offload culpability for the state of Irish football onto others – when he should be held accountable for his part in the mess.

Said Keely: “He seems to have developed quite an ability to divest himself of all responsibility for all that is wrong in Irish football. After six years at the top of the association, he must bear at least some of the brunt.”
    I'm not particularly endeared to Keely but credit to this quote... He speaks about Ollie and Marneygate before this but he hits the nail on the head here...
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by niamh
    Where was he on Sunday? Why is he willing to associate himself with this book but not around wish the two teams competing in the FAI Cup Final a bit of luck before the match?

Surely that would have been a better bit of publicity for him.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Robinski
    Where was he on Sunday? Why is he willing to associate himself with this book but not around wish the two teams competing in the FAI Cup Final a bit of luck before the match?

Surely that would have been a better bit of publicity for him.
    Dunno about that. If he was at Landsdowne he would have got booed roundly by all and sundry. Probably wouldn't do a great deal for his ego.
    Maybe you should put her on a leash, agent-man.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I guess so. What about John O'D then, our sports minister? I just don't get why there was no representation there from the government. A little odd.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs down Insult

I think was a big insult to irish football that no Taoiseach, President or even Sports Minister at the game.

Even giving them the benefit of the doubt that they otherwise engaged surely they could have sent some Junior Minister or something?

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Why is Bertie launching the book?
    Menton was/is pro-Bertie Bowl...

Why was there no minister at Lansdowne?
    Are they not all on a well-deserved self-awarded bonus week's holidays/isn't "domestic" football of absolutely no interest whatsoever to any of them?

Why is everybody surprised?

Donie the cynic
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by The Donie Forde
    Why is Bertie launching the book?
    Menton was/is pro-Bertie Bowl...

Why was there no minister at Lansdowne?
    Are they not all on a well-deserved self-awarded bonus week's holidays/isn't "domestic" football of absolutely no interest whatsoever to any of them?

Why is everybody surprised?

Donie the cynic
    reading the posts before yours donie I was almost moved to post exactly what you did. hardly surprising that that shower of gombeens who conned themselves into power are behaving like this

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was just home on Friday to be faced with Menton's appearance on the Late Late Show - what a *****! Seriously he thinks he's God's gift to football admin, telling everyone that he has a much better job in Malaysia now, taking all the credit for making all the money at the World Cup and the Sky deal.

On the stadium issue he had the arrogance to say the FAI are more than welcome over in Kuala Lumpar.
    Effenberg played like my grandmother!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think the Taoiseach was at the last two finals before this year. What annoyed me was that the dude with the mic was telling the crowd we should be so honoured that Bertie turned up, but there was a difference in that Tolka Park is in his constituency and Lansdowne is all the way across town!
    I agree though some government rep from the Dept of Sport at least should have been there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Originally posted by NigeSausagepump
    Dunno about that. If he was at Landsdowne he would have got booed roundly by all and sundry. Probably wouldn't do a great deal for his ego.
    What do yous think about this?It's been happening recently at Dubs matches aswell.Whatever the opinion is of Bertie don't yous think that he should have the right to attend games without being booed at?He's a dedicated fan of Dublin and the Ireland soccer team.I really hate when it happens and like people are always saying on this site POLITICS SHOULD BE LEFT OUT OF FOOTBALL !!
    <insert witty remark>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I'd make a slight distinction here. If he's at a game in an official capacity (in the dignitaries' box in Lansdowne for an international etc.), I think it's fair enough to boo him but if he's at a game in a personal capacity (at a Dublin gaa match etc.), it's a bit excessive (kind of like booing him at a family wedding). It's a difficult distinction to make in reality though.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I haven't booed Bertie at Landsdowne for Internationals but dunno if too bothered with other people doing it.

The again irish people will bitch, moan & boo politicians in public but couldn't be bothered to vote then.

Bring back Rocketman!