Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: derry & Cliftonville

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Originally posted by Paddy Ramone
    In Martin O'Neill's biography Terry Neill is quoted as saying that Peter Doherty was Catholic. While normally this wouldn't be relevant, I think it is in the context of Northern Ireland where there are allegations of anti-catholicism.

I keep hearing for instance from Celtic fans that Martin O'Neill was the first Catholic to captain Northern Ireland. Also, I read in Celtic fanzine "the Alternative View" that Bertie Peacock and Charlie Tully were booed by Northern Ireland fans constantly. But Peacock in an interview in the Celtic View said he never had any trouble playing for NI.
    Oddly enough, the IFA have quite a good record of steering clear of discrimination. Remember that in the 1950's, Stormont UP MPs were proud of claiming that they or someone they knew just employed true - blue Protestants (and presumably got rid of the rotten ones that either fancied a 32 independent state or were keen to stand up for RC rights like trade unionists). The IFA to their credit continued to pick RCs when it would have not only looked normal, but gained them favour by not.

However, picking RCs is one thing. Look at all those black basketball players in the US, but where are they when it comes to jobs in running the club or the leagues. The IFA have had RC administrators, in particular Austin Donnelly. However the IL fares more poorly in this department: delaying kick off times and granting home advantage to a certain club as well as matters concerning Belfast Celtic, Derry City and the admission of the two other Celtic clubs to the league a few years ago. All the above have in common religion/ethnicity at their heart which cannot be glossed over as irrelevant.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by lopez
    However the IL fares more poorly in this department: delaying kick off times and granting home advantage to a certain club as well as matters concerning Belfast Celtic, Derry City and the admission of the two other Celtic clubs to the league a few years ago. All the above have in common religion/ethnicity at their heart which cannot be glossed over as irrelevant.
    Lopez, no-one's saying they weren't relevant. But the first two examples you quote are rather less relevant than they were 50 and 30 years ago, eh?

Donegal and Lurgan Celtics are in the IL on merit. I agree their admission was delayed a couple of seasons longer than it might have been. Security worries or old-fashioned bigotry? A bit of both, probably...
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
    Security worries or old-fashioned bigotry? A bit of both, probably...
    The fact that they backed down the second they were threatened with being brought to the equality commission would suggest more of the latter though.
    EL grounds are like good episodes of The Simpsons, no matter how many times you see them they're still funny

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lopez, no-one's saying they weren't relevant. But the first two examples you quote are rather less relevant than they were 50 and 30 years ago, eh?

Donegal and Lurgan Celtics are in the IL on merit. I agree their admission was delayed a couple of seasons longer than it might have been. Security worries or old-fashioned bigotry? A bit of both, probably...
    Actually Lurgan and Donegal Celtic are in the Irish League because they were ready to bring the IL to court, the IL lawyers knew fine rightly that they had such a strong case for inclusion in the League that they allowed them entry after 15 years of trying.

I'd go along with the Old fashioned bigotry as the main reason, the thought of teams with Green and White hoops must've sicken the billy boys at the IL.
    CIS Cup Winners 2003/04

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Aye that's right, the IFA is dominated by Billy Boys. Which might explain the manager, assistant manager and about half the squad being Roman Catholics.
    The hatchetmen are back.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Aye that's right, the IFA is dominated by Billy Boys. Which might explain the manager, assistant manager and about half the squad being Roman Catholics.
    We're talking about the Irish League. Different body, no?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As in other countries the Irish League is a member of the Irish Football Association.

I'd argue that neither body is particularly sectarian, though I realise that some in the Suffolk/ Lurgan areas may differ.

Lopez- if you're reading this I'm back on the curry. Lasted 23 days though, to be fair...
    The hatchetmen are back.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Lopez- if you're reading this I'm back on the curry. Lasted 23 days though, to be fair...
    Tut, tut, tut. Make your own with plenty of spinach and tomatoes with Pataks curry pastes. Good for the prostrate and quite low in calories. Stay away from the nan breads as well.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Originally posted by davros
    Managed the fat Gatt.special;Prawn Biriyani(with rice),Poppadoms,Naan bread & about 1/3 of lamb kashmiri......Fat F***!
    Take it you were with him you little fat Buddha.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Mr Davros appears to confuse my ordering a second course in an Indian restaurant with an opinion on the political situation in 1981. I thing he must be drunk, confused, or both.
    The hatchetmen are back.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sammy mc Ilroy isn't a RC, not that that matters to be fair, the assistant manager i couldn't tell you who he was, nevermind what religion he is. As for the RC that play for the North, well lets be honest none if them would get into the ROI side, hence the reason they throw their lot in with the North.
    CIS Cup Winners 2003/04

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    you really are a *****, i have never heard such narrow minded drivel in all my life.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by ghosty
    Sammy mc Ilroy isn't a RC, not that that matters to be fair, the assistant manager i couldn't tell you who he was, nevermind what religion he is. As for the RC that play for the North, well lets be honest none if them would get into the ROI side, hence the reason they throw their lot in with the North.
    Yawn. The reason they get in the Northern Ireland side is generally because they grew up there and played for schools and youth representative sides. Damian Johnson would get in the Southern side at the moment while your squad includes so many platers from Division 1. Mulryne and McVeigh would probably be in the 22 and Michael Hughes- even after missing a season and in his mid-30s- is on a par with McAteer. Lennon would have 50 Southern caps had he declared for you.

Ghosty's only half right. It doesn't matter what religion the managers, players or even the supporters are. But you are actually at one with many of the NI fans in exaggerating this a factor. And don't pretend you didn't know about Gerry Armstrong's appointment- even the IN and Andytown News covered it

Davros. The Alliance Party's lawyers are on yer case...
    The hatchetmen are back.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by davros
    Ah,the truth hurts..........
    , your biggoted slabbering couldn't be farther from the truth.

i don't know what cause you think you are standing up for, but most of us in the 21st century have moved on since William III and king James. There is no need for 15th century politics in football in this millenium. Seems some dinosaurs didn't become extinct.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Originally posted by BannsideBoy
    most of us in the 21st century have moved on since William III and king James.
    As proved by "Twelth"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Originally posted by liam88
    As proved by "Twelth"
    BB does have a point. 100,000 membership of the OO seems staggering but this is only 10% of the unionist population. This doesn't take away from the illegality of the NI statelet, the electoral discrimination within its first fifty years of existence, the extreme nationalism still present and the fact that the military victory of a closet Dutch shirtlifter over his poor wife's father outside the O6C is still a 'national' holiday.

BTW, BB, bigot has only one g. Tell me to p*ss off if you like but if you can spell the word there is always a good chance you know who qualifies as one.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i could tell you to **** off, but frankly being so anal about a typo error just makes me wonder if you need to get out a bit more.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Iv their iz won ting yoo musht spel roight is dur f*cking insults. And no I don't get out enough...just like the rest of us on this forum.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Speak for yourself

All I will refer to is you significantly higher post count!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Let's not let this get into a flame war lads
    I mean we've already lost the old "keeping on topic", the thread started off asking people opinions on whether Belfast Celtic should reform

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast