Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bohs Court Case

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    The fact that you think €30k it is such a "massive" sum in Irish football says more about UCD than it does about the game here.
    Fair enough; if it's such a trivial sum, I'm sure you can pay it over?

The deal you got for McCourt (400k all in?) was needed to keep the banks at bay, and there's money owed to other clubs (Dungannon mentioned for one), so the money owed to UCD isn't the full extent of your problems. I'd suggest you go off and ask questions about Derry's financial situation before commenting again. And there's not many deals between eL clubs that have exceeded E30k either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    €30k is not a "massive" sum of money in Irish football. Your acknowledgement that it is only 5% - not a "massive" percentage - of the budget for the club in the premier league with the smallest revenues shows that it isn't a "massive" sum.

Sales of 180 of City's 'Dream Draw' tickets would cover the €30k you keep harping on about. And we've got individual sellers who've sold more than that many draw tickets single-handedly.

The fact that you think €30k it is such a "massive" sum in Irish football says more about UCD than it does about the game here.
    Then whats the delay in Derry paying UCD the mney they owe them.

30K is massive in our league. Its the equivalent of 2/3 good gates FFS
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    €30k is not a "massive" sum of money in Irish football. Your acknowledgement that it is only 5% - not a "massive" percentage - of the budget for the club in the premier league with the smallest revenues shows that it isn't a "massive" sum.

Not really,UCD and that Irish league team(forget who it is)have both been on about Derry not paying them for players.

If its not a massive sum,why not pay it??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Here's a link to RTE's take on the subject:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1107/bohemians.html

As you can see it's not all cut&dried at all yet.

My reading of it - Bohs entered into talks with Albion about selling the land
    Bohs recieved monies to the value of 1.05m euro from Albion over time
    No contract was ever finallised, but the judge is taking these payments to show that Albion now have a definite ownership issue in this tract of land.

(presumably Bohs only ever wanted to give back the 1.05mil but Albion will now be looking for a far greater ransom sum)

The Daninger deal may not be affected IF Bohs can buy out Albion - depending on the terms of the Daninger contracts, but we can all be sure that Mr Carroll would LOVE to re-negotiate the deal at least.

Proviso: I'm presuming there is SOME accuracy in the RTE piece - but this bit makes me wonder: "the proposed sell-off of the stadium and its re-location to a site in Castleknock."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Given Albion returned Bohs' cheque to buy the land, and then refused to give up their hold on the land, even letting Bohs sue them, I don't think they'll be being bought out any time soon.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

The deal you got for McCourt (400k all in?) was needed to keep the banks at bay, and there's money owed to other clubs (Dungannon mentioned for one), so the money owed to UCD isn't the full extent of your problems. I'd suggest you go off and ask questions about Derry's financial situation before commenting again. And there's not many deals between eL clubs that have exceeded E30k either.
    I think the 55k we got for Shane Barrett is the highest between two EL clubs. It certainly was at the time and somebody in our club said they were told recently enough by somebody in the League offices that it still was. By highest i mean highest up front without add ons. So 30k is a big amount of money.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CuanaD View Post
    My reading of it - Bohs entered into talks with Albion about selling the land
    Bohs recieved monies to the value of 1.05m euro from Albion over time
    No contract was ever finallised, but the judge is taking these payments to show that Albion now have a definite ownership issue in this tract of land.
    I'm not a legal expert by any stretch but my understanding is that if money (or any other consideration) is paid then a contract is present, even if it's not written down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Sorry - we only pay big, important clubs. Hence why it's Dungannon and UCD we owe money to.

It's part of our plan to drive you out of Irish football. Though you seem to have done a good job of that on-the-pitch yourselves this year....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Why did Albion want this land, does anyone know?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,223 Posts
    Shams only paid big, important creditors. That's why it was their laundrette that screwed them over ultimately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    I think they also own the shopping centre behind it and want to redevelop the whole lot. I remember plans being made up a few years ago, they might have even gotten planning but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    They were going to develop the Shopping centre end. part of the dela was to build Bohs some "executive boxes".
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sligored View Post
    Some of your fellow bohs supporters have been on here gloating (not yourself it must be said)about how much better ye are compared to all the other teams in the league.
    The league table doesn't lie. We've been the best team this season.

Ye used this prospective money to raid many clubs players with contracts that the clubs could not match. For example in the case of sligo rovers ye were happy to seduct burns singh mansaram turner connor murphy with the lucrative contracts on offer.
    In fairness, I doubt it took a huge amount of money to outbid Sligo for these. Turner aside, they are/were all on relatively modest contracts for a top team's wage bill.

And then you find it strange when other clubs supporters dont share in your grief.

When were other clubs asked to share in our grief?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    "The judge said he had come to the view that Albion are entitled to an interest in the land involved because there was 'clear evidence of repeated promises etc"

Did the judge define the extent of the interest or is that left for another day in court?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    The judge delivered a 130 page judgement on it. I doubt a spourts journo, particularly one who supports Bohs, would have the legal nous to understand and intrepret all of it.
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    "The judge said he had come to the view that Albion are entitled to an interest in the land involved because there was 'clear evidence of repeated promises etc"

Did the judge define the extent of the interest or is that left for another day in court?
    The land sectioning was fairly complicated. The crux of it is that Albion are the beneficial owners of the land that was under dispute.

The reason for the use of the term "trust" is because Bohs are effectively the legal owners but they no longer have any beneficial interest in it.

I'll try post a copy of the judgment up on Monday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by charliesboots View Post
    The land sectioning was fairly complicated. The crux of it is that Albion are the beneficial owners of the land that was under dispute.

The reason for the use of the term "trust" is because Bohs are effectively the legal owners but they no longer have any beneficial interest in it.
    I'm sure I'll regret asking this but what does that mean?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley View Post
    What a truly revolting spectacle.

An eL club loses a critical case against a property developer and the verdict is greeted with unbridled joy and the usual half-baked, ill-informed gloating from the boards' rabble of self-appointed football finance gurus. Ugly.

If anyone thinks this is good for the league, then you are as misguided as the people who put Bohemian FC in this position.
    Not sure I can entirely blame them TBH.

Neither you or I ever came on here crowing about our money and future dominance, but a fair few did; the minority of Bohs members who kept their eyes open through the last half- decade are not particularly represented over here. There were people -you included- asking questions which, had they been answered might have meant this day wouldn't have come. As we both know, a members club and 'democracy' were no protection against the same hubris that infected Shels/ Drogs/ Cork- a few hundred people can be as deluded as half a dozen.

I'm gutted because my club is - potentially - in tatters; I really don't expect sympathy for our entirely self -inflicted wounds; at least fans of the above clubs had the excuse that they didn't know what was going on ......
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm sure I'll regret asking this but what does that mean?
    There can be two types of owners of land. Legal owners and beneficial owners (or equitable owners).

Take for example a couple who bought a house 30 years ago. Only Mr A's name is on the title deeds but both Mr and Mrs A payed off the mortgage equally over the thirty years.

So while Mr A is the legal owner, Mrs A has a 50% beneficial interest in the house.

Mr A is therefore is the legal owner of the entire house but only has a beneficial interest in 50% of the house and as legal owner holds the other 50% in trust for Mrs A.

So while Bohs are the legal owners of the disputed land (their name is on the title deeds), today's decision granted Albion the beneficial ownership over the parts of the land which the two sides had entered negotiations regarding. Bohs now, as legal owners, hold that land in trust for the beneficial owners, Albion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan View Post
    Not sure I can entirely blame them TBH.

Neither you or I ever came on here crowing about our money and future dominance, but a fair few did; the minority of Bohs members who kept their eyes open through the last half- decade are not particularly represented over here. There were people -you included- asking questions which, had they been answered might have meant this day wouldn't have come. As we both know, a members club and 'democracy' were no protection against the same hubris that infected Shels/ Drogs/ Cork- a few hundred people can be as deluded as half a dozen.

I'm gutted because my club is - potentially - in tatters; I really don't expect sympathy for our entirely self -inflicted wounds; at least fans of the above clubs had the excuse that they didn't know what was going on ......
    Don't want to stick the knife into anybody here and I don't know the ins and outs of Bohs internal disputes but.....Felim O'Reilly seemed to come out of the judgment pretty badly, so much so that it seems that his scampering to get money off Conroy may have ultimately cost Bohs.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast