Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: galway united players futures

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

galway united players futures

hey lads just wonderin whats the latest with the united players like who might be leaving or staying next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Wont know untill we know where we're playing next season. O'Shea and Rodgers are the only 2 on contracts for next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    The whole future of the club and league is up in the air at the moment. The budget for next season will be slashed hugely whether we stay up or not.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Dont Scaremonger

T the whole future of the club is NOT up in the air at the moment,please dont scare monger like that.Even IF we go down we will still be around next season.Yes there will be adjustments etc but the club WILL be around next season,stop scaremongering.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    T the whole future of the club is NOT up in the air at the moment,please dont scare monger like that.Even IF we go down we will still be around next season.Yes there will be adjustments etc but the club WILL be around next season,stop scaremongering.
    From what I heard I have to agree with gufct the club is not in a great position, But now is not the time to go into this as we have 2 cup finals left. The club will be around next season but what ever our budget will be next season will be a huge % will be spent on clearing debts and ont on the team.

At the end of season we hope to have a meeting with Nick to find out the position the club is in and the clubs plan for 2009

But for now only Harps game matters and 3 points
    Last edited by Trainee; 07/11/2008 at 12:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    it is up in the air. as in we will more than likely go part time and could be playing in either the premier or first divisions. i doubt there is even a budget at this stage agreed (and secured) for next season. Therefore referring to the title thread how can we speculate on players futures when the future is up in the air. For example if we get relegated we be looking at a much different squad than if we stay up.

Anyway.... all that matters today is the 3 points, all season we have had people on here talking about must win games, none more than tonight lads.... MASSIVE GAME

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainee View Post
    From what I heard I have to agree with gufct the club is not in a great position, But now is not the time to go into this as we have 2 cup finals left. The club will be around next season but what ever our budget will be next season will be a huge % will be spent on clearing debts and ont on the team.

If we get a lot of money for jay will that not clear most of the debts? One of the papers today said birmingham are willing to pay 385000 for him.

gg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    The transfer fee will paper over the cracks and pay off some of our debts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    after friday night, I can see a lot of players being around next season. Its great when a large percentage of the team are Galway based players. Its all down to the type of contracts that are offered to them, cash wise im talking of coarse. As in all jobs, money talks as all of them have to pay the bills just like the rest of us.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i have already heard from lads here that players are starting to look for alternate work outside of football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minivan man View Post
    i have already heard from lads here that players are starting to look for alternate work outside of football.
    Looking at your location i presume your talking about Derek Glynn in particular... i heard he was looking for a course to do next year as he knows Jeff won't keep him on!!.... shame really because he has some finish, can see him getting another club elsewhere, that is if he wanted to travel a distance!!
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah i heard that about derek glynn but i also heard he is not the only one to start looking ahead for next year. having played with him here in claremorris i think he would be a great signing for someone like limerick 37 or athlone or even sligo. some time at that level (div1) would give him game time and help establise him at eircom league level. he a great guy and has total dedacation to his football, i hope he gets his chance to show people what he is capable of.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Moving On!

With all the talk of clubs in financial difficulty in Ireland, I believe that full-time soccer in not sustainable in Ireland...

I feel O'Shea, Russell, Lester and McCullough are the four players most likely to be snapped up by other clubs.

Cannot figure out what has happened to Derek Glynn and how he has slipped so far down the pecking order?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    142 Posts
    You have to laugh really, when the player clear out was proposed back in June, Lester and Foley were 2 who were told 'thanks but no thanks'. We are now in the driving dseat to avoid relegation, thanks in no small part to the central midfield partnership they have struck up.
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    good point woodquay boy!
    more water!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    You have to laugh really, when the player clear out was proposed back in June, Lester and Foley were 2 who were told 'thanks but no thanks'. We are now in the driving dseat to avoid relegation, thanks in no small part to the central midfield partnership they have struck up.
    The second time it has happend to Foley & he responded in similar fashion last season. Fair play to the lad & batman also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    The team improved a lot when Alan Keane and Ciaran Foley came back from injury and John Lester was able to move back to midfield, Deegan was a big loss and they were terrible when he left and Lester was stuck in C.B., since that got sorted that out they've improved an awful lot!
    I can't see GUFC losing that many players, the top teams all have plenty of cover or no money and the likes of Bray/Sligo/Shels/Dundalk don't seem to have the resources to pry players away from GUFC.
    Could be an interesting close season....
    innit though??

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    whats the story with united players all rejecting part time contracts? are all players (except rogers and o shea) out of contract?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    yes essentially all free agents
    more water!