Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: St Pats in player betting allegations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_Charlie View Post
    For the sake of 20 quid in a game he didn't play in. It's a stupid thing to do, but a lifetime ban??!!
    Yep. He bet against his team, he had inside information on the game, he's a cheat.

That his other part of the double header didn't come in shouldn't be taken into account

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    He didn't play so less than a lifetime ban, but enough punishment to deter others (see slippy slope argument). A season minimum.

Gutted it wasn't Rodgers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I think the player should have his case heard. Obviously he's going to say, 'sure it was only 20 quid, I wasn't involved in the game, I wasn't aware I was breaking any rules, etc'. I think some common sense needs to prevail here. He's held up his hands about it, so credit to him for that, at least. To talk about giving season-long bans for the sake of a 20e bet, taking away a player's livelihood on one act of stupidity, is OTT.

A fine or a ban for a few games would be sufficient.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Don't see too much wrong with it(assuming Dempsey was definitely going to be out for the game? If there was a chance he could have been selected then give him big punishment).
    Bollo-x, He is in a position to influence the end result of a game, he has a duty to his team mates, his employers, his fellow pros, Pats fans, every other team in the league to ensure the integrity of every game he takes part in. A lifetime ban is a must.

Regardless of the amount of money staked, €20 according to Dempsey, but realistically there is no way of verifying that, how many games did he bet on & profited from that he was involved in.

This raises its ugly head every now & again, its has to be stamped out with force.
    Last edited by centre mid; 09/11/2008 at 11:06 AM.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Re Brianw82, he held up his hands after he was caught! Hardly honesty.
    Last edited by OneRedArmy; 09/11/2008 at 2:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by City till I Die View Post
    Fair play to him for having the balls to come out and admit it. Dosnt make it right though. Hefty ban on the way methinks
    In every other sport this will get you warned off or banned for life, think Kieran Fallon. Even if he claims momentary insanity he should still receive a lifetime ban. Its the only way to stop it happening again. He can have as much as he like on Pats to win ( or any other game ) but he cannot bet on a game he is marterially involved in, regardless of whether he takes par, he had access to information regarding the pats team.

Shane on him.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Where did the story come from in the first place, as in how did it come knowledge that he placed this bet if it was only part of a 20 euro double. You just cant take his word for it that it was only 20 euro. Ignorance of the law is no defence either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceirtlis View Post
    Where did the story come from in the first place, as in how did it come knowledge that he placed this bet if it was only part of a 20 euro double. You just cant take his word for it that it was only 20 euro. Ignorance of the law is no defence either.
    The only way I can think of, is that he was recognised by a cahier in whatever bookie he went into.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

pats

sponsor and directors not happy this weekend. Its getting serious for the fai now but did that ever make any difference. At least its publicity and you know what they say about publicity. I remeber eddie van boxtel jumping over the ball in terryland against athlone in 1996 i think after he came down on the train with half the athlone team that morning. It has always gone on
    Last edited by geezer; 09/11/2008 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    The only thing he's guilty is of being a fool. I could have told you we would have struggled in the games we lost. There was no insider info needed to see that.

Calling for lifetime bans over 20 quid is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure this isn't what Quinn was writing about either. Surely?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    The only thing he's guilty is of being a fool. I could have told you we would have struggled in the games we lost. There was no insider info needed to see that.

Calling for lifetime bans over 20 quid is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure this isn't what Quinn was writing about either. Surely?
    The thing is, it probably wont be eL calling for it though. The media will destroy this, we'd be lucky if they relayed the real story. They'll sell more papers if they can make people think its wide spread throughout the league.

The FAI and St Pats are on dodgy ground here, and losing face is not an option.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I'm pretty sure this isn't what Quinn was writing about either. Surely?
    I imagine you have to be right - I don't even know where these stories came from...

Generally it's the bookies who report any suspicious betting on a match, like Monaghan v Longord. It would be very interesting to see where this story originated - so far there's absolutely no substance to it.

Apparently some lazy hacks are trying to stir up that Dundalk v Athlone was also fixed...
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    He didn't say there was any suspicious betting did he? I thought he just said that Pats players had bet on themselves to lose. Which Dempsey did. Stupidly.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    No one will remember in 3 months. Every league has had betting scandals

Stop being a dramaqueen
    If he didnt bet with PP he mite pull out on pats

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Didn't a ceratin bookie report 'irregular betting patterns' in the game involved. Now 20 euro is hardly irregular. And is it true Dempsey done a double, with Man City to win, who then lost?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CameramanConka View Post
    Didn't a ceratin bookie report 'irregular betting patterns' in the game involved. Now 20 euro is hardly irregular. And is it true Dempsey done a double, with Man City to win, who then lost?
    Yep. He didn't even win the bet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CameramanConka View Post

Its obvious that this isn't what the investigation was about. I'd say he thought he should be up front because if it came out later he'd be in more s**t.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    But the article which started it all is from the Daily Mail which only mentions the two Pats players betting against their team. There's no quotes from any bookmakers about suspicious betting patterns regarding Pats.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Yep. He didn't even win the bet.
    That makes it all better then, maybe we could have a whip round to make sure he isn't out his twenty euro as well?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Regardless of the amount it's just sheer stupidity. I can't understand his thinking process, I mean it's not like City are playing well at the moment.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast