Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sky Sports and LOI Floodlights

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I Pats were very lucky, and got in at the tail end of this and the floodlights in Richmond were turned on in January 2004 (we moved back to Richmond in December 2003)
    Really?
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    Really?
    Read the thread man, its been covered
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Read the thread man, its been covered
    I did, I know but couldn't resist it
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I fully understand
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    I would imagine it was seen as a one-off good deal fifteen years ago,
    Why good? And who saw it as that? Compared to the damage its doing, just how good is it?

and trying to take it further now would be seen as greed.
    Whos greed though, Sky broadcasting, in a completely different country at the cost of the domestic country's league ..... yup, thats greed alright.

Agreed, the LOI should have told them where to go initially, maybe it was a lack of greed at the time, or a lack of self-preservation at the time.

Not that I would be against pursuing SKY, but I'm not sure how far you'd get.
    Theres always a case there if you

There had been Sunday games live on ITV for many years before the Sky deal. As harpo pointed out, they had no obligation to do anything
    ITV didn't have right to broadcast here, and it doesn't jusify it either. The league is suffering as a result so it should be made their obligation.

There is definitely grounds to take it further, its just it never will unless we have a Minister for Sport or someone that would champion the cause for the domestic game.

We shouldn't just have to roll over and die anyway as being suggested.
    Last edited by A face; 06/11/2008 at 12:49 PM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Does anyone else think we should have got more for it?

I'd be thinking something along the lines of an annual fee, remuneration for the damage the foreign games being broadcasted here are doing to the league. No one can deny that it severely damages the league, untold damage in my opinion and all we got for it was poxy floodlights. I think we really got short changed here.

Could the League of Ireland ever take it further and make a case for it?
    This is pernickety even for you Face.
    Let it go man, it was 15 years ago!
    So no, we can't get anything more out of it. Apart from the league looking like money grubbing shysters. "Ahhhh, I meant a tax on not wearing puffy pants!" anyone?
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Why good? And who saw it as that? Compared to the damage its doing, just how good is it?

Why good? Because clubs got floodlights.
    Comparing it to damage done is hindsight; I'm saying that at the time it may have looked as a good deal.

Any attempt now will smack of 'SKY have made millions, so we changed our mind and want a bigger slice of the cake'.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    Let it go man, it was 15 years ago!
    No its not .... its each and every single year from now to the year dot, and people think we should do nothing about it. Maybe we should have done something about it long before now and we wouldn't have the league crumbling around us.

Quote Originally Posted by noby View Post
    Any attempt now will smack of 'SKY have made millions, so we changed our mind and want a bigger slice of the cake'.
    Thats the idea ..... its all about the cake, not just crumbs to keep us down happy. If only we had someone with a bit of bottle in the league
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    OK then, why not look for compensation off the GAA and IRFU too for taking punters away from our league?
    Some people miss games because they're on holidays, shameful! Let's have a word with the ITAA!
    Many people can't go because of work, and that should not go unpunished either. Let's start an email campaign against IBEC!

It's too late.
    Whether you think we got a good deal for the time or not is immaterial. It's TOO LATE now.
    Just let it lie a few days, you'll soon have something else to bash the FAI about. Something that maybe someone can do something about.
    Last edited by stann; 06/11/2008 at 1:30 PM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    OK then, why not look for compensation off the GAA and IRFU too for taking punters away from our league.
    Some people miss games because they're on holidays, shameful! Let's have a word with the ITAA!
    Many people can't go because of work, and that should not go unpunished either. Let's start an email campaign against IBEC!

It's too late.
    Whether you think we got a good deal for the time or not is immaterial. It's TOO LATE now.
    You're being silly now Stann, come on, i expected more from you

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Might be a bit of a reductio ad absurdum but it's basically what you are saying.
    "Sky's Premiership coverage is affecting our attendances, they should pay for this."
    Why stop there if you're so convinced of the righteousness of the case is all I'm saying. There's many other factors affecting the crowds.

To me, the reason why we shouldn't revisit the Sky deal is that, even if there was a case before, the time to push it has long, long gone. Now it only smacks of greed, desperation, and pure sulky self-pity.
    As I said above, there'll soon be another reason to bash the FAI more worthy of your talents and attention.

And stop replying to my posts before I've finished them!
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    sligo could get compensation for sky showing la liga games on saturday nights. i know the last barca madrid derby resulted in a few barstoolers not falling off their stools into the showgrounds.

i think this is the reason sky are not allowed to show premiership games on a friday night even though i feel it would be primetime viewing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Not for the first time a face, geta grip man. Sky are NOT the reason why the league's in bits.
    ---

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I remember a bit about the time this happened. The LOI (as it was back then - the clubs made the decision, not the FAI) were going to prevent Sky from showing live games on a Sunday afternoon to Sky subscribers in Ireland. However, an agreement between the Clubs and Sky was that Sky would pay for the installation of floodlights at all LOI grounds so that the LOI clubs could move their matches to Friday/Saturday nights. At the time, the clubs accepted this and it was generally felt by everyone at the time that this was a great move for the LOI.

Let's look at it another way. If the LOI were successful in preventing Sky from showing live Premiership matches on a Sunday afternoon to Irish subscribers, do you think that there would be more people attending LOI games on a Sunday. The reason I say this is because most clubs would NOT have spent the money themselves to install floodlights and we would still be looking at a situation of 2.30pm kick-offs on a Sunday afternoon (going up against nearly every Junior football fixture in the country where a decent percentage of those playing actually attend LOI games). Cup replays, European games and midweek fixtures still being played in the afternoon. Not to mention the Setanta Cup.

I have no doubt that clubs made the correct decision in accepting the deal from Sky in the 90's. Remember, it was my club and your club that made this decision. By playing on a Friday/Saturday night, every club in the country will tell you that it's still better than playing on a Sunday afternoon - and not just because their is live UK football on TV.

Just look back to the 80's when football on TV was on very, very little - even on a Sunday afternoon. There wasn't exactly thousands at LOI games back then. The problem for poor attendances runs a lot deeper than Sky TV showing live football on a Sunday. The problem was in the LOI long before Sky TV were even heard of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Yes, but SKY are rich now, so we should demand more money from them. [/skewed logic]
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    great post harps1954
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Smile

As we and a few other clubs play on Sat nights should we ask RTE for compensation for showing the premiership at the same time ? Maybe a % of the advertising revenue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post
    I remember a bit about the time this happened. The LOI (as it was back then - the clubs made the decision, not the FAI) were going to prevent Sky from showing live games on a Sunday afternoon to Sky subscribers in Ireland. However, an agreement between the Clubs and Sky was that Sky would pay for the installation of floodlights at all LOI grounds so that the LOI clubs could move their matches to Friday/Saturday nights. At the time, the clubs accepted this and it was generally felt by everyone at the time that this was a great move for the LOI.
    So its the chairman of the day in each club who was resonsible in leaving this go through so yeah?

Let's look at it another way. If the LOI were successful in preventing Sky from showing live Premiership matches on a Sunday afternoon to Irish subscribers, do you think that there would be more people attending LOI games on a Sunday. The reason I say this is because most clubs would NOT have spent the money themselves to install floodlights and we would still be looking at a situation of 2.30pm kick-offs on a Sunday afternoon (going up against nearly every Junior football fixture in the country where a decent percentage of those playing actually attend LOI games). Cup replays, European games and midweek fixtures still being played in the afternoon. Not to mention the Setanta Cup.
    You can just say that every club would not have lights installed, someone said that even UCD had them at the time so that doesn't stand up. Alot of junior clubs have them now so its not plausible to say otherwise.

Clubs have actually made some progress by themselves, all on their own, without sky, for themselves under their own steam .... imagine that.

I have no doubt that clubs made the correct decision in accepting the deal from Sky in the 90's. Remember, it was my club and your club that made this decision. By playing on a Friday/Saturday night, every club in the country will tell you that it's still better than playing on a Sunday afternoon - and not just because their is live UK football on TV.
    Who was the chairman of the league at that time?

Just look back to the 80's when football on TV was on very, very little - even on a Sunday afternoon. There wasn't exactly thousands at LOI games back then. The problem for poor attendances runs a lot deeper than Sky TV showing live football on a Sunday. The problem was in the LOI long before Sky TV were even heard of.
    There is one thing for sure ..... it aint helping it. And i'm not suggesting that this is the one and only problem with our league, i'm not suggesting that resolving it is the shot in the arm that all the clubs need. Its obviously just one element. And logically, to break it down, you isolate the problems and look at them on their own. Thats what i'm doing. Fair enough if people are dismissive or flipant but there definitely is something to this. To say otherwise is wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    i dont agree aface. i cant figure the point you are trying to make.
    this is not creating any problem in the running of the league of ireland. if you can show any evidence that the sky sports subsidy towards the installation of floodlights has had any negative effect on our league, i may reconsider.
    But in the absence of this i feel this was a great deal for sligo rovers at the time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    AFace, sorry to be blunt, but what part of the statement "we aren't eligible for compensation anymore" don't you understand?

It was the best deal possible at the time as if Sky had taken it to the European courts they may well have got to show the matches with no compensation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast