Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: ManUtd v Blackburn - Ticket Advice for a Novice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question ManUtd v Blackburn - Ticket Advice for a Novice

Hi all,

I'm bringing my wife (a die hard Manc for her troubles) to Old Trafford as a Crimbo present. I'm a big Liverpool fan myself and know absolutely zip about acquiring match day tickets for ManU games.

I've had a quick look and think that the Utd v Blackburn game would suit. Just wondering if you all think it would be advisable to book flights and accommodation now and take my chances with getting tickets on general sale in the new year?

It's something I don't wanna have to do but at the same time the idea of lumping out massive money on a "package tour" makes me physically ill!

Would any mancs that go to the games regularly have any ideas what I'd best do or am I right to take the risk with flights and accommodation?

Thanks in advance,

MickoD
    MickoD - a part-time Bohs Man, full-time Liverpool Man

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I dont go to Old Trafford but I know that viagogo.com (or maybe .co.uk) are Man U's official partners for Season Ticket Holders who cant make games and want to sell on their tickets. Im sure you would definitely get a couple for the Blackburn game no problem on there, alleviating any worries about match tickets.

Its possible also that they would go on sale from OT nearer the time but you probably have to be a member.
    Last edited by Junior; 04/11/2008 at 1:09 PM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks very much for the tip. This is most helpful.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,082 Posts
    I think you have to be a United member to buy on there but membership isn't too dear I don't think, something like £30 per year. You can then apply directly to the club as well for tickets. Either way it's not that difficult to pick up tickets for most home games these days if you look around.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for this lads. All very helpful. I'll look into all this when I get home this evening.

As an aside, what do you think is a good clean and safe hotel to stay in that's not going to mean missing a mortgage repayment if you catch my drift

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[LEFT]Trafford Hall Hotel
    23 Talbot Road, Old Trafford, ManManchester M16 0PE

Tel: 0161 848 7791
    Fax: 0161 848 0219
    http://www.traffordhallhotel.co.uk

Hotel is 5 minute walk from Old Trafford and right next to a tram stop. Tram is about 10 minutes from city centre. You would want to check price of flights though. Saw weekend of Sunderland game. Cork to Manchester 340 euros return. [/LEFT]

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    If you want something more central - i.e. if you are planning on a night out in the city centre, there are a few cheap holiday inn express / premier travel inn places that are a central,decent standard and very reasonable. Just google them

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I'm not a Man u fan but that viagogo ticket thing is expensive. You need a different "one United" membership for each ticket you want to purchase. So that’s £60 to join if you want to go with your wife. The tickets are "sold" at face value but there is a pretty hefty "admin fee". If you go this route, it will cost you way over £100 per ticket.

Hotels fill up pretty quickly around match days so book as soon as you can.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I'm not a Man u fan but that viagogo ticket thing is expensive. You need a different "one United" membership for each ticket you want to purchase. So that’s £60 to join if you want to go with your wife. The tickets are "sold" at face value but there is a pretty hefty "admin fee". If you go this route, it will cost you way over £100 per ticket.

Hotels fill up pretty quickly around match days so book as soon as you can.
    Yeah probably worth it if you are going to go over a couple of times a season, to guarantee tickets but for a one off its a £30-40 premium to guarantee a ticket - your choice.

There will be loads of Season ticket holders, not making this game, particularly from Ireland. Im sure if you asked around you could get them for face value - depends on your contacts though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    141 Posts
    Best bet is to try and find a season ticket holder not goping to the game. Given Blackburn is close to Utd, it is a North West derby so would think tickets could be scarce.
    Bite the bullet and contact the club (www.manutd.com) and ask them but try and travel independently rather than on a package as it would be much cheaper
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."