Thread: Lee Carsley's impressive form.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts

To razors left peg

Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    They didnt play us off the park, the only real chances they created were in the last 5-10 minutes. We created a number of really good chances and should have scored at least 3.
    Eh...sorry, but they did play us off the park. The only real chances they created were in the last 5-10 minutes? What about the one Given knew nothing about but saved with his chest in the first half. That should have gone in as should the one in the last seconds when the lad had a clear sight of the net from six yards! There were one or two other close calls midway through the game.

They should have got two, we should have got three. Whatever, but it wasn't the easy win you seem to be implying. And the bigger point is that we better get our act together before facing the stronger nations in the group. It's all going well now with results, but we have ridden our luck a bit and it could all go south with a loss or two.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile

It is simple. Lee Carsley should be in the Ireland squad on merit. I am not sure his opinion on the matter though. I read the article on the BBC's website and he made some good points. He tells a story of the importance in the modern game, especially international football i must add, of the holding midfielder. We have not got one. I know the argument about his age but Maldini is still playing great stuff at 41? Stan made the fatal decision to leave Carsley out of the sqaud against Cyprus and the rest is History!!!

Another thought Keane is a No 10 and he should play nowhere else but off Doyles' shoulder. A point to note - Kevin Doyle is proving what a great player his is with his recent performances both with club and country. I really believe he will be world class!!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Eh...sorry, but they did play us off the park. The only real chances they created were in the last 5-10 minutes? What about the one Given knew nothing about but saved with his chest in the first half. That should have gone in as should the one in the last seconds when the lad had a clear sight of the net from six yards! There were one or two other close calls midway through the game.

They should have got two, we should have got three. Whatever, but it wasn't the easy win you seem to be implying. And the bigger point is that we better get our act together before facing the stronger nations in the group. It's all going well now with results, but we have ridden our luck a bit and it could all go south with a loss or two.
    Where did I say it was an easy win. What I did say is that we were the better side for most of the Cyprus game and we created by far the most goal scoring oppertunities. Yes we let them back into it in the last 10 minutes but we should have been out of sight by that point if we had taken our chances.It wasnt a brilliant performance by any means and our center midfield offered nothing going forward but to say we were played off the park is as ridiculous as your suggestion that Robbie Keane should be brought back in midfield
    Its really not that complicated!!!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmanCas View Post
    It is simple. Lee Carsley should be in the Ireland squad on merit. I am not sure his opinion on the matter though. I read the article on the BBC's website and he made some good points. He tells a story of the importance in the modern game, especially international football i must add, of the holding midfielder. We have not got one. I know the argument about his age but Maldini is still playing great stuff at 41? Stan made the fatal decision to leave Carsley out of the sqaud against Cyprus and the rest is History!!!

Another thought Keane is a No 10 and he should play nowhere else but off Doyles' shoulder. A point to note - Kevin Doyle is proving what a great player his is with his recent performances both with club and country. I really believe he will be world class!!
    I dont know about world class but he is a fantastic player and deserves to be playing for a club in the top end of the Premiership
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Cyprus didn't play us off the park but it was a long time since we gave the opposition so much possession at home. Over 56%.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts

To Razors Left Peg, Eirebhoy

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. We were played off the park for long periods against Cyprus, as far as I'm concerned (just to give some perspective - we were played off the park by Slovakia away and Cyprus home and away in the last campaign, and I know this is a new campaign and things look much brighter, but there have been a lot of similarities in us being dominated by other teams).

Like I said, put Italy or Bulgaria in that position at Croke Park and I think the outcome will be different than a 1-0 win to Ireland. Don't want to come across as a cup half empty type but it all stems from us failing to possess the ball with any confidence. Still believe Keane should be fitted in as an attacking midfielder to pick off passes behind the defence, but I guess we'll just have to wait for Trap to make his next team selection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    carsley nowhere near good enough anymore, wouldnt be sticking robbie in midifeld though !
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerMilla View Post
    carsley nowhere near good enough anymore, wouldnt be sticking robbie in midifeld though !
    who would you start in central midfield then? Name two players please.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    I know the question wasn't addressed to me but, in terms of ability, form and long term potential - McCann and Garvan.

Would play them against Poland and I would confidently expect them to perform better that the Whelan, Gibson pairing or any other currenly available combination. They would do what Trapp wants from his central midfielders and make better use of the ball and contribute more going forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I know the question wasn't addressed to me but, in terms of ability, form and long term potential - McCann and Garvan.

Would play them against Poland and I would confidently expect them to perform better that the Whelan, Gibson pairing or any other currenly available combination. They would do what Trapp wants from his central midfielders and make better use of the ball and contribute more going forward.
    I don't think Trap wants his central midfielders to contribute going forward at all. From the games so far, and the B game, it appears their remit is to protect the centre of defence, spray the ball out to the wingers, and the occasional (very occasional) long shot.
    I haven't seen a lot of either Garvan or McCann this season, but I would think McCann would fit this system more than Garvan.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12