1 Post

Lee Carsley's impressive form.

In Trap we trust

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    just read this blog before coming on foot.ie, excellent blog and completely true, makelele had nothing that carseley didnt have bar a fancy foreign name

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    would be delighted to have him back on board

never let us down

everton miss him badly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Always liked him and loved his commitment to Ireland. Would welcome him back with open arms.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts

mark12345

For God's sake keep him away from the Irish team. He shouldn't be allowed watch international football let alone play it. He was the consummate shadow midfielder under Stan, who hid in many games and never took charge in midfield and never appeared able to. We need a leader and he doesn't have an ounce of leadership in him.

To pick Carsley would be a massive step backwards. Robbie Keane is the best option right now - let him drop back behind the front two and find a partner for Doyle in his place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    To pick Carsley would be a massive step backwards. Robbie Keane is the best option right now - let him drop back behind the front two and find a partner for Doyle in his place.
    wtf? do you even realise the formation Trappatoni is playing?

back on topic, Carsley is one of those underrated players, the sort that supporters will either love for wahat he brings to a team or hates for what he doesnt. Carsley under Stan is a bit of a strange one as Stan played him in a different role to the one that Moyes played him in, a role that he played to near perfection.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Great attitude. And he still offers us a lot. Not a great passer of the ball but knows how to sniff out the oppositions attacks as they develop. And he can score the odd goal. I would be quite happy to see Carsley back.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Great attitude. And he still offers us a lot. Not a great passer of the ball but knows how to sniff out the oppositions attacks as they develop. And he can score the odd goal. I would be quite happy to see Carsley back.
    Has he ever actually scored for Ireland? I think not. Nobody game him the time of day when we had greats like Holland and Kinsella, now almost 35 he must be in the team? Isn't it ironic...

He has done very well at club level, I don't think he has ever really impressed at international level. His commitment is fantastic. But can offer stop gap for the remainder of this campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Against 10 man QPR (for all of 2nd half) on Tuesday Night he was up against Irelands Martin Rowlands and Former Italian International Damiano Tomassi....and the QPR came out on top 1-0

Committment etc...is 100% but his Ireland days are over
    Ciao

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts

we are talking about a defensive midfield position , not an attacker playing in the hole behind the front 2

WTF are u on about??

if carso wants to come back - id have him back with open arms ... we need him back asap
    Last edited by back of the net; 31/10/2008 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    we are talking about a defensive midfield position , not an attacker playing in the hole behind the front 2

WTF are u on about??

if carso wants to come back - id have him back with open arms ... we need him back asap
    agree. some people forget that we dont exactly have too many midfield options. robbie keane in ctre mid??????????

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts

TO SKSTU and BACK OF THE NET

"WTF are you on about?"

Are you watching the same Ireland team I am? As it stands right now there are only three players who can hold the ball in the opposition half of the field with any degree of success (a) Damien Duff (b) Steven Reid (c) Robbie Keane........ I probably should include McGeady but his strengths are not really holding the ball, more taking on players.

With Steven Reid injured we need a presence in midfield, and My God, Lee Carsley is certainly not that presence. Carsley is one of the least effective midfielders to ever pull on a green jersey. Are you lads going to sit there and tell me that Carsley can do more with a ball than Keane? I suggested that Keane should sit behind the front two - don't you recall him doing the same for Spurs with great success? And as for the formation Trap is trying to play, I'm sure he's looking for players who can hold possession, not give it away like snuff at a wake like we did against Cyprus.

Keane in the middle with Whelan or Gibson (Reid when he comes back) and McGeady and Duff on the wings. It may have to be slightly more defensive when we play Italy but Carsley should not be in anyone's plans.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    "WTF are you on about?"

Are you watching the same Ireland team I am? As it stands right now there are only three players who can hold the ball in the opposition half of the field with any degree of success (a) Damien Duff (b) Steven Reid (c) Robbie Keane........ I probably should include McGeady but his strengths are not really holding the ball, more taking on players.

With Steven Reid injured we need a presence in midfield, and My God, Lee Carsley is certainly not that presence. Carsley is one of the least effective midfielders to ever pull on a green jersey. Are you lads going to sit there and tell me that Carsley can do more with a ball than Keane? I suggested that Keane should sit behind the front two - don't you recall him doing the same for Spurs with great success? And as for the formation Trap is trying to play, I'm sure he's looking for players who can hold possession, not give it away like snuff at a wake like we did against Cyprus.

Keane in the middle with Whelan or Gibson (Reid when he comes back) and McGeady and Duff on the wings. It may have to be slightly more defensive when we play Italy but Carsley should not be in anyone's plans.
    Trap has already said that Andy Reid is too attack minded to play in his center midfield so to suggest that he would play Robbie Keane there is beyond ridiculous
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Whomever suggests that Robbie Keane should play in central midfield is absolutely clueless. You need to watch some match tapes to see what formation Trap has played in every game so far. A goalkeeper, four across the back, two deep-lying central defensive midfielders who sit WAY back and do nothing but tackle and break up attacks through the middle. All of our attacks are meant to come up the wings, not through the middle! Two strikers up top (Keane and Doyle) who are meant to finish off crosses from McGeady and Duff.

There is no one here that would suggest that Whelan is a better player than Andy Reid. However, he is a better tackler and much more defensive minded, which is what Trap wants from that position. Carsley would be my FIRST choice for this role. He is a very limited player who is losing his legs fast but all we need him to do is stand ten yards in front of Richard Dunne/John O'Shea and put his spikes into his tackles. Every time he gets possession, all he needs to do is a ten yard pass backwards to Finnan or Kilbane, who'll start the attack up the wings. He fits the system perfectly. Anyone who suggests his Ireland days are over is about as smart as the guy who suggest Robbie Keane would fit into the central midfield role in this team! Especially with Steven Reid out for the year.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Im all for a Carsley return. Please God it would be a straight swap for Whelan who isnt even making the Stoke bench these days

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Our central strikeforce is not the biggest and all our attacks are expected to/will be coming from the wings. Ok Doyle gets a few headers, but hes not the strongest and a decent centre half should be able to muscle him out of the game.

I cant see us scoring too many in this campaign. we'll be relying on clean sheets. Its the Italian way of course...but is it the Irish?.............
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Our central strikeforce is not the biggest and all our attacks are expected to/will be coming from the wings. Ok Doyle gets a few headers, but hes not the strongest and a decent centre half should be able to muscle him out of the game.

I cant see us scoring too many in this campaign. we'll be relying on clean sheets. Its the Italian way of course...but is it the Irish?.............
    who cares as long as we qualify, we are not like Brazil that expects fantastic free flowing football at all times
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 01/11/2008 at 9:40 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    who cares as long as we qualify, we are not like Brazil that expects fantastic free flowing football at all times
    I think you missed my point.

Its not Brazilian-esque football I am looking for. I was more concerned that Traps style will be reliant on clean sheets - something we havent been that great at in recent times!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts

To colbert report

You are taking it all wrong. I never suggested that Keane play as a holding midfielder. I said he should play behind the front two as an attacking midfielder, like he did for Spurs (when he used link brilliantly with Berbatov and Lennon). Now Doyle is no Berbatov and McGeady may not be as fast as Lennon but it is the same concept.

I fully understand that Trap is trying to break up attacks with two hard men in the middle, but it clearly did not work against Cyprus. They played us off the park remember, and we can't have that happen when Bulgaria, Montenegro and Italy come to town. If you remember the Cyprus game (and it might sound a bit redundant but) we looked at our best when attacking. That is we weren't forced to defend in numbers for long periods.

I know our options are limited in midfield and in a perfect world Robbie would be up front with Doyle, but we have to make do with what we have and a player who can take a ball in the middle and find a pass behind the defence, like Robbie, is gong to be worth his weight in gold during the rest of this campaign. As I said Duff, Keane and Reid are the only ones who can hold the ball and make things happen, but good luck to you if you think Carsley is worth anything. You clearly have a different view of the game than me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    You are taking it all wrong. I never suggested that Keane play as a holding midfielder. I said he should play behind the front two as an attacking midfielder, like he did for Spurs (when he used link brilliantly with Berbatov and Lennon). Now Doyle is no Berbatov and McGeady may not be as fast as Lennon but it is the same concept.

I fully understand that Trap is trying to break up attacks with two hard men in the middle, but it clearly did not work against Cyprus. They played us off the park remember, and we can't have that happen when Bulgaria, Montenegro and Italy come to town. If you remember the Cyprus game (and it might sound a bit redundant but) we looked at our best when attacking. That is we weren't forced to defend in numbers for long periods.

I know our options are limited in midfield and in a perfect world Robbie would be up front with Doyle, but we have to make do with what we have and a player who can take a ball in the middle and find a pass behind the defence, like Robbie, is gong to be worth his weight in gold during the rest of this campaign. As I said Duff, Keane and Reid are the only ones who can hold the ball and make things happen, but good luck to you if you think Carsley is worth anything. You clearly have a different view of the game than me.
    They didnt play us off the park, the only real chances they created were in the last 5-10 minutes. We created a number of really good chances and should have scored at least 3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast