Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1717

Thread: Rate the last film you saw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I started watching it but stopped after 20 mins or so when I decided my kids would probably like it. It looks pretty good, but I'm afraid that's all I have so far.

I watched Richard Ayoade's The Double this weekend, which I really wanted to like because the aesthetic was just fab, but it was kind of tedious and pointless in the end. I hoped he saved the sets for something better.
    Hey - meant to ask if you watched Aftersun in the end?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    I watched Richard Ayoade's The Double this weekend, which I really wanted to like because the aesthetic was just fab, but it was kind of tedious and pointless in the end. I hoped he saved the sets for something better.
    I enjoyed his previous effort, Submarine, far more. The Double felt a bit derivative, like second rate Lynch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Hey - meant to ask if you watched Aftersun in the end?
    Not yet. I tend towards the mindless at the moment, too easy to skip over.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    So, Everything Everywhere All At Once cleaned up last night with all the major awards. Disappointing there was no real Irish winner on the night (except for the short) in any of the major categories but they were up against a tidal wave of popularity for EEAAO. Has anyone watched it? The genre wouldn't really be my cup of tea on the face of it.

Would've been nice to see Keoghan and Farrell or Mescal in particular get the acting awards as they were all excellent in their showings. Or is it more foot.ie green-tinted glasses at play here
    Saw EEAAO - my wife gave up on it about 20 minutes in. I watched to the end but ended up underwhelmed and mildly disappointed - because I had high hopes for. Critics talked about it being surreal but at times it felt like it was surrealism created by people who don't have a proper grasp on surrealism and ended up just being "wacky" and sometimes in an annoying way, if you know what I mean.

Then watched The Woman King - give it a six and a half out of ten - solid enough military actioner that was essentially, as one critic said, "Braveheart with African women". For all the plaudits Viola Davis gets (in fairness she was very good), I thought Thuso Mbedu was terrific. But it really stretched the definition of "based on true events" - should have been really captioned as "set in a place and time that existed". Also, in order to achieve it's goal of lionizing the woman warriors featured, it really had to do some serious "brushing past" of problematic issues related to them. Apparently Lupita Nyong'o was slated to be in the movie and in advance did a documentary for Channel 4 about the Agojie, initially viewing them as brave heroes, but by the end realized that they were heavily involved in the slave trade and it's been reported that this was a reason why she didn't appear in it.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Not yet. I tend towards the mindless at the moment, too easy to skip over.
    Fair enough...definitely not a mindless one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Saw EEAAO - my wife gave up on it about 20 minutes in. I watched to the end but ended up underwhelmed and mildly disappointed - because I had high hopes for. Critics talked about it being surreal but at times it felt like it was surrealism created by people who don't have a proper grasp on surrealism and ended up just being "wacky" and sometimes in an annoying way, if you know what I mean.
    Definitely know what you mean. I think that's kind of the Daniels' schtick. From what I've read about it and the clips I've seen, I think i would hate it. Hollywood is weird. These movies get this mass award season marketing push behind them and the hive think (and often this weird nostalgia) kicks in, i think, rather than a number of winners being legitimately good movies or actors. I'll be honest, i don't think Banshees would have been a worthy winner either from the movies I've seen that were nominated (acting was great in it though). I probably would have given it to All Quiet on the Western Front. Beautiful but harrowing film (I haven't seen the previous versions). Elvis (bit long) and Top Gun (bit cheesy) were also great in their own way.

I'll check out The Woman King - honestly, it hadn't been on my radar at all.

Sam - check out Aftersun

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I watched Aftersun over the weekend, it was good and worth watching but it wouldn't be one of my favourite movies. [SPOILERS FOLLOW] Perhaps it's because I'm fairly shallow at the moment, or because I'm familiar with depression to a certain extent, but I found the undercurrents kind of obvious, the only thing that kept me guessing for a while was whether he was suffering from PTSD or depression. It was worth it for the beautiful cinematography and editing, and the brilliant acting, but I wouldn't be a fan of the writing.

I also watched Everything, Everywhere All At Once, having started it a week ago and deciding to watch it with my kids. It was great craic, particularly with the kids, but all those Oscars? What the fuh?

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    I watched Aftersun over the weekend, it was good and worth watching but it wouldn't be one of my favourite movies. [SPOILERS FOLLOW] Perhaps it's because I'm fairly shallow at the moment, or because I'm familiar with depression to a certain extent, but I found the undercurrents kind of obvious, the only thing that kept me guessing for a while was whether he was suffering from PTSD or depression. It was worth it for the beautiful cinematography and editing, and the brilliant acting, but I wouldn't be a fan of the writing.
    Yeah, I think thats all fair. By no means the perfect movie (though overall a very decent directorial debut). For me, i didnt really find the undercurrent obvious until very close to the end but knew from quite early on that something was up, there was a sense of dread built into quite a few of the scenes and it all came together for me in the penultimate scene. I do think the last 5 minutes (from the dancing in the bar to them leaving the airport) was astoundingly well done and moving. The movie got me in the heart as someone close to the subject matter too.

Either way, do you agree that it wasn't a "coming of age" movie?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Cocaine Bear,wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised by its irreverence and gore,apparently shot mostly in Wicklow 7/10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Either way, do you agree that it wasn't a "coming of age" movie?
    Well, I guess from her point of view it is to a certain extent, but it's hardly the main premise, by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    Cocaine Bear,wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised by its irreverence and gore,apparently shot mostly in Wicklow 7/10.
    Kinda looking forward to watching that. Sounds mad Ted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Watcher is a decent indie horror. Maika Monroe (The Guest, It Follows) plays a woman who moves to Romania with her husband. Isolated by her husband's long hours and her inability to speak Romanian, she becomes concerned a neighbour may be stalking her.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    Watcher is a decent indie horror. Maika Monroe (The Guest, It Follows) plays a woman who moves to Romania with her husband. Isolated by her husband's long hours and her inability to speak Romanian, she becomes concerned a neighbour may be stalking her.
    Saw that movie and echo your comments,Romania doesn't look like a place I'd be in a hurry to visit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Saw Mario Bros movie with the kids today. Was probably expecting big things from it, seeing as I practically lived on Super Mario on the NES as a kid.

It's got some really great moments. The storyline is a bit arse-about-faceways for my liking, but I can see the angle they're coming from. As far as a film goes, it's a bit meh. But overall, at times, enjoyable enough.

To summise, I'm not entirely sure what I made of it..

Probably a generous 6/10.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I used to really like going to kids movies with my eldest, who's now mid-20s. Pixar's golden age, I suppose.

These days I mostly sleep during kids movies. They like Avengers. I hate Avengers. They feel like something Trump would create, gilded confused awfulness with no substance whatsoever.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I used to really like going to kids movies with my eldest, who's now mid-20s. Pixar's golden age, I suppose.

These days I mostly sleep during kids movies. They like Avengers. I hate Avengers. They feel like something Trump would create, gilded confused awfulness with no substance whatsoever.
    Your kids or the movie?....

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts

Generally quite like taking the kids to the cinema. Don't go very often, but caught the Sonic The Hedgehog movies with them and loved them. Seen a few great films with them over the last number of years, eldest lad is 10 this year so at a great age to be seeing all these sorts of films too.

The last Pixar films we've saw have been a bit underwhelming though, Lightyear and Strange World both in 2022 weren't great.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    Your kids or the movie?....

Yes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Got a free month of Prime, my kids starting watching Proximity (2020) before I had the chance to look it up on Rotten Tomatoes. 38% critics, 31% audience. They overrated it. Just don't.

22. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts

Yes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I'm watching some classics with the kids at the moment. Started with Alien and we all enjoyed it. They didn't get The Holy Grail a couple of years ago, but they were knotted this time, wish I'd watched it with them properly. They liked Predator, I thought it dated quite badly. Working towards the modern sequels. Terminator this weekend.

We also watched Red Notice with Ryan Reynolds and The Rock, which we all loved despite the reviews. Finch with Hanks, which was fine but a bit meh IMHO. Chronicle was a little better than I expected. And the 1st two Guardians in preparation for Vol. 3 in the cinema. We went to Super Mario in the cinema, they enjoyed it, I slept.

In recent weeks I watched The Whale, which was excellent but depressing; Neighbors with Seth Rogan, which had me laughing so hard in places I could hardly breathe, no idea why it gets such bad reviews; The Prestige, another meh; and Linoleum, which was familiar and should have been better than it was.

Page 85 of 86 FirstFirst ... 357583848586 LastLast