Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 84 of 86 FirstFirst ... 34748283848586 LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1717

Thread: Rate the last film you saw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Don't Look Up. It's a good film, wouldn't stop you from seeing it, but I don't know how it was nominated for best picture
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    The Oscars can be quite politicised. They like the message in the movie, and the calibre of actor involved; the quality of execution is secondary. Remember Crash won best picture in 2005 to widespread scepticism? Heck, Nomadland last year was arguably that category too. All I'm saying is don't be surprised if it wins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Greed. Steve Coogan as a fashion magnate planning his 60th birthday party with a Gladiator theme
    Been meaning to watch this one for a while, and it's on Netflix now. Coogan chewing the scenery as someone who made his money during the Thatcher era and has been investigated for shady, although not necessarily illegal, business practices. A few nods to Coogan's own Irish heritage as well.
    Check it out
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Ressurecting this thread to comment on the phenomenal Banshees of Inisherin.

Fantastic film with superb performances all round. Rumours of Oscar nominations would be well deserved.

Easily a 9/10.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Aftersun.

Watched it a few weeks ago. It is an outstanding movie. One of the most impactful movies I have watched in a long time and I find myself thinking about it regularly since. There is this impending sense of doom that runs underneath it throughout but you dont realize what or why until it is almost on top of you. So much to think about afterwards. I found the style and structure of the film to be incredible (though it might not be everyones cup of tea) and the performances from Paul Mescal and the young girl in it are so so good. He deserves the Oscar nomination he got for it and she could/should have been nominated too. The last 5 minutes are just so moving. I would love to hear from others who might have watched it and liked it too.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Banshees of Inisherin ~ ~ Curates egg of a film ~ Good in parts but it is probably a film that you should watched a couple or three times ~ Ya might get something extra out of it from each viewing ( I am guessing )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Aftersun
    As soon as I see "coming of age film", I bleurgh. Is it really original or is it just the usual tropes packaged in a new format?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    It’s not what I’d call a “coming of age” movie at all. In some respects the young girl is at that point where she’s aware of the bigger world around her and stuff but it’s not the core premise of the movie at all. She is looking back as an adult on her relationship with her dad. The focal point is him and their relationship at a moment in time - through her eyes as an adult. Hard to describe it much more without getting into spoiler territory but calling it a “coming of age” movie is not at all what it’s about or how I’d have characterized it. I’ve seen the reference too but I question it as a bit lazy. If it is, it’s stylistically and thematically different (pardon the w@nky language) from any “coming of age” movie I’ve seen before. I’d highly recommend you check it out and let me know what you think!

For what it’s worth I just asked my wife if she thought it was a “coming of age” movie and she said emphatically no!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Downloading now, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    jesus, i'm feeling a bit worried now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    It's not like he'll permaban you if it's ****. Well, it's highly unlikely at laest. Reasonably unlikely. You're probably safe enough. You seem confident it's a good film anyway. Besides, you were wasting your time on this site anyway. Adios.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    All Quiet on the Western Front.

As a war movie, it’s quite excellent in a Dunkirk, 1917 etc kind of way. Strong script, great acting and the action sequences punctuate the story, rather than being the story. It’s an 8/10 on that basis.

As an adaptation of the novel it lets the standard slip. OK, nobody wants a page-by-page adaptation, but what made Remarque’s novel so powerful was the way it pulled you into the trenches then deeper into this small group of soldiers. The film pulls back too much from that level, the Armistice talks being a good example, and those scenes become an irritation. They seemed a clumsy way of showing that the war was lost even as the fighting continued. A scene where a general orders one final charge before the Armistice is a nod, at least, to Letters from Iwo Jima, and sets up a high action finale that is far removed from the devastating quietness of the novel… It pales compared to the two previous, more faithful adaptations – one from the late ‘70s with Richard Thomas (John Boy from The Waltons) and a surprisingly good cast for a TV movie, and, for me, the best of the bunch, the 1930 version which is still the standard to match. A generous 6/10.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    I studied All Quiet On The Western Front for the Junior Cert. It's one of the books that I think everyone should read once.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    All Quiet on the Western Front.

As a war movie, it’s quite excellent in a Dunkirk, 1917 etc kind of way. Strong script, great acting and the action sequences punctuate the story, rather than being the story. It’s an 8/10 on that basis.

As an adaptation of the novel it lets the standard slip. OK, nobody wants a page-by-page adaptation, but what made Remarque’s novel so powerful was the way it pulled you into the trenches then deeper into this small group of soldiers. The film pulls back too much from that level, the Armistice talks being a good example, and those scenes become an irritation. They seemed a clumsy way of showing that the war was lost even as the fighting continued. A scene where a general orders one final charge before the Armistice is a nod, at least, to Letters from Iwo Jima, and sets up a high action finale that is far removed from the devastating quietness of the novel… It pales compared to the two previous, more faithful adaptations – one from the late ‘70s with Richard Thomas (John Boy from The Waltons) and a surprisingly good cast for a TV movie, and, for me, the best of the bunch, the 1930 version which is still the standard to match. A generous 6/10.
    Agree totally. Beautiful film, but took a few too many Hollywood style liberties with source material.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    It's not like he'll permaban you if it's ****. Well, it's highly unlikely at laest. Reasonably unlikely. You're probably safe enough. You seem confident it's a good film anyway. Besides, you were wasting your time on this site anyway. Adios.
    hahaha I'll say my goodbyes now!

21. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    "Plane" 6/10,Gerard Butler by the numbers action film,Butler a pilot who crash lands safely on a remote island that happens to have a lot of bogeys hanging around,he manages to somehow find a disused flat wide hard mud road in the middle of a jungle to touch down on.

I heard it was great but didn't live up to the reputation in my opinion.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Sound of Metal - 7/10 - main actor is great in it. Second on my list of best drumming movies now after Whiplash......
    21 leagues and 25 cups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    So, Everything Everywhere All At Once cleaned up last night with all the major awards. Disappointing there was no real Irish winner on the night (except for the short) in any of the major categories but they were up against a tidal wave of popularity for EEAAO. Has anyone watched it? The genre wouldn't really be my cup of tea on the face of it.

Would've been nice to see Keoghan and Farrell or Mescal in particular get the acting awards as they were all excellent in their showings. Or is it more foot.ie green-tinted glasses at play here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I started watching it but stopped after 20 mins or so when I decided my kids would probably like it. It looks pretty good, but I'm afraid that's all I have so far.

I watched Richard Ayoade's The Double this weekend, which I really wanted to like because the aesthetic was just fab, but it was kind of tedious and pointless in the end. I hoped he saved the sets for something better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    So, Everything Everywhere All At Once cleaned up last night with all the major awards. Disappointing there was no real Irish winner on the night (except for the short) in any of the major categories but they were up against a tidal wave of popularity for EEAAO. Has anyone watched it? The genre wouldn't really be my cup of tea on the face of it.

Would've been nice to see Keoghan and Farrell or Mescal in particular get the acting awards as they were all excellent in their showings. Or is it more foot.ie green-tinted glasses at play here
    It's been on my to-watch list ever since it came out, but still haven't got around to it. Find it hard to sit down and watch films at home, and rarely get a chance to go to the cinema anymore beyond seeing kids films.