Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 81 of 86 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 1717

Thread: Rate the last film you saw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Watched "Manchester by the Sea" at the weekend there. Very good. Well acted by Casey Affleck and Michelle Williams and the young lad. A bit of a downer but in a good way.

No tits, no rating.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    That film was complete Oscar Bait. I love how Casey is accused of sexual harassment by so many women on set but since he is left wing he skates by. I mean even if we were all filthy rich, would you ever settle a claim against you that wasn't true? I would fight to the death. Why would you want to pay someone who is lying about you money? Because they aren't lying I suppose. On a lighter note his brother was removed as director of the next Batman. But he will still star.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Does being oscar bait automatically make a movie bad?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    No but do you ever notice how every year at this time there is a white person weeper type story that is total fiction? I didn't until Chris Rock brought it up a few weeks ago. It's like a genetically engineered thing from Harvey Weinstein to win an oscar. I mean look, how old is he supposed to be in the film. In his 30s? Grow up and take care of the nephew. Problem solved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    I liked it. I thought the internal struggle he was going through was portrayed well.

Although I see what you're saying, I (personally) don't think much of the politics or motives behind movies and their releases. I just watch them and judge them on their own merits which is usually just based on how they make me feel.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Hell Or High Water .Jeff Bridges as a gnarly old Texas Ranger near retirement and one big last case on the trail of Bank robber brothers Chris Pine and Ben Foster across the wilderness and small hick towns of Texas.Loved it- 8.5/10.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Trainspotting 1 & 2. Really enjoyed them. Don't think I had ever sat down and watched the first one right through before and it was great to have it fresh going into the second one. First one holds up really well and the second really captures the modernisation and changes around Edinburgh over the last 20odd years. If anything second one is maybe a bit lighter, doesn't quite have the huge impact moments of the first, but it tugs at the nostalgia heart strings and is a really enjoyable couple of hours cinema.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    Hell Or High Water .Jeff Bridges as a gnarly old Texas Ranger near retirement and one big last case on the trail of Bank robber brothers Chris Pine and Ben Foster across the wilderness and small hick towns of Texas.Loved it- 8.5/10.
    saw that when it came out, thought it was really good, and Bridges is excellent, but didn't understand why people were telling me it was the best film of the year. It's good, really good, but I didn't have it in my top five
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    You know something I never understood when i was a kid or when it's on now...that scene in Ferris Buellers Day Off when they go to the restaurant. He picks a name off the reservations list. And the Maitre D' suspects he is not indeed Abe Froman. The Sausage King of Chicago. But then they play the stupid game with the phone somehow convincing said Maitre D' that he IS in fact Abe Froman. But this is like a 1980's power lunch expense account type place, which would be presumably what Mr.Froman would have used it for. And the salty Maitre D' knew who the guy was by name. So its VERY likely that he would have know Abe Froman by face too, been on a first name basis with him possibly and even met him many times. But even if not, how would Ferris have known that the guy was not going to show up for his reservation? If the guy shows up with his party, it ruins the whole caper. And what would the odds be that he picks the one name on the list who doesn't show up? And how did they pay for the meal on top of the tickets to the Cubs game, the museum entrance fee, etc? It really is kind of a stupid plot line in that film. I also think the principal probably would have gone to Mia Sara's house to figure out the whole dead Grandmother thing for sure, and not Ferris's house. But I digress.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    You know something I never understood when i was a kid or when it's on now...that scene in Ferris Buellers Day Off when they go to the restaurant. He picks a name off the reservations list. And the Maitre D' suspects he is not indeed Abe Froman. The Sausage King of Chicago. But then they play the stupid game with the phone somehow convincing said Maitre D' that he IS in fact Abe Froman. But this is like a 1980's power lunch expense account type place, which would be presumably what Mr.Froman would have used it for. And the salty Maitre D' knew who the guy was by name. So its VERY likely that he would have know Abe Froman by face too, been on a first name basis with him possibly and even met him many times. But even if not, how would Ferris have known that the guy was not going to show up for his reservation? If the guy shows up with his party, it ruins the whole caper. And what would the odds be that he picks the one name on the list who doesn't show up? And how did they pay for the meal on top of the tickets to the Cubs game, the museum entrance fee, etc? It really is kind of a stupid plot line in that film. I also think the principal probably would have gone to Mia Sara's house to figure out the whole dead Grandmother thing for sure, and not Ferris's house. But I digress.
    Were you made sleep on the couch last night?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I re-watched Trainspotting last night before going in to see the new one this evening. I'm really looking forward to the new one, and it's been a fair while since I watched the first. The gut-wrenching moments are still as strong as they were on first watch. What a truly incredible film.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    It's a movie...............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Trainspotting 2 is that rarest of beasts - a worthy sequel.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    I was really put off by the trailer so I'm delighted to read a lot of positive reviews. Looking forward to seeing it now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Couldn't help but notice ANOTHER Fast and Furious movie coming out with all their Super Bowl commercials. Reale says Vox says it is going to be "Better than the Godfather."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Saw Trainspotting 2 tonight and I made the mistake of reading the comments on here first so my expectations kind of soared. It was enjoyable but I think it leant too heavily on the nostalgia of the first one, probably because the plot wasn't strong enough for it to stand on its own two feet anyway. Without saying too much, some of the stuff towards the end was a bit lame I felt. The characters, acting and humour carried it through more than anything else really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Just watched Irish movie "Young Offenders" about a couple of langers looking to make a few euros and not get caught by the cops, their enemy and a gimpy drug dealer.

Gave me and the wife a good laugh.

A perfect 5/7

18. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    899 Posts
    Just watched it today, too, with Mrs Grise (Netflix, Stu?). Really enjoyed it - it's got some great one-liners, delivered in a pitch-perfect Caawrk droll. An under-the-radar gem.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Just watched it today, too, with Mrs Grise (Netflix, Stu?). Really enjoyed it - it's got some great one-liners, delivered in a pitch-perfect Caawrk droll. An under-the-radar gem.
    funnily enough, we watched it on Kodi and got a fairly good stream. Would have liked subtitles for the Missus although she understood it all. Then last night we were picking a movie to watch off Netflix and saw that "Young Offenders" was on there. Yeah it was really good alright - lots of laugh out loud moments that you'd think only Irish might get but the crazy Canadian Croat beside me was laughing too.

Ended up watching "Patriots Day" last night. You know, I have to say, I wasn't sure where they were going to go with it but I thought it was a really well done sequence of events before, during and after the bombing that captured some individual stories really well and respectfully. I also had no idea that the shoot out in Watertown went down like that!!! Crazy stuff!! Also, I am a huge Mark Wahlberg fan - I like almost every movie he is connected with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I saw Young Offenders in the cinema last year and I don't think I've ever laughed so much at a movie in years! Absolutely wonderful. Really hope the 2 lads in it go onto some massive things. Mad that they're not Cork. Accents were pitch city.

Defo 5/7
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Page 81 of 86 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast