Page 73 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1717

Thread: Rate the last film you saw

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    The Internship - Knew nothing about the movie though should have guessed from the poster I'd seen what it really was. A 2 hour infomercial w@nkfest for google. I like Owen Wilson and I like Vince Vaughan, together they're funny and I expected something light, funny and "heartwarming", by jesus was I wrong. It was $58million of google, non-stop and to the point where I looked at herself and said, "Should we leave?" That was 15minutes in. I stuck it out because while it was going to be more of the self-pleasuring mess that big corporations love, there were a couple of funny moments (in a nightclub) and I begrudged having to spend to watch an advert. Maybe I'm just not tech minded enough, but people were laughing at references to instagram and other stuff, but it was just an advert. I like my product placement subtle, interesting and not sitting on my chest hanging a golly over my open mouth. I'm being very generous in giving 0.5/10

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

Still scratching my head with this one, still dont know what to think with the ending. Great movie, and proof that fact is always stranger than fiction

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    World War Z - my 1st zombie movie and have to say it was okay. Moved fast, not a whole lot of gore and there were some funny parts. Set for the sequel, but hope they don't make it. Reminded me of visiting a certain town in the south of Ireland, on a midweek drinking night (Osarusan was there I believe) and the night crowd. 5/10

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Still scratching my head with this one, still dont know what to think with the ending. Great movie, and proof that fact is always stranger than fiction
    Saw this a few months back great show and a strange situation
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Watched The Hunger Games the other evening. I thought the concept would be interesting, but found it all a bit silly once I began watching.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Mesrine: Killer Instinct was much better. Not that the two are in any way related. It's the first of two parts about the notorious French gangster, Jacques Mesrine, who is played by the ever-excellent Vincent Cassell. Gérard Depardieu also features but Cassell really does steal the show. I think I'll watch the second part, Mesrine: Public Enemy Number One, after work tonight or else over the weekend.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Danny - Have you watched the prophet or the beat that my heart skipped?

If you like French movies then both of these are a must watch.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Watched a movie last night starring Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman last night called The Master. From 2012, written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, who done There Will Be Blood.
    It's partly inspired by L. Ron Hubbard of Scientology fame.
    The movie is based around Phoenixs character, basically being a drunk fool stumbling from place to place after coming home from the war. Hoffmans character takes him in, and transforms him, all for 'the cause'. It's where the whole scientology part comes in.
    There's not a whole lot more I can say about it.

A really fantastic film, and completely worth watching. Hoffman and Phoenix are both superb in it. 100% one of the best movies of 2012. Only wish I'd watched it sooner. 10/10

Finally got around to watching Seven Psychopaths as well. Not exactly what I expected of it at all. Some great stories though, and some fabulous twists. Really well done by Martin McDonagh though. Some fantastic one-liners too. Not a glorious film by any means, but it's a good laugh all the same. 7/10.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Danny - Have you watched the prophet or the beat that my heart skipped?

If you like French movies then both of these are a must watch.
    Have seen A Prophet and thought it was great. Must check out the other.

Have you seen Rust and Bone, by the way? It's another one directed by Jacques Audiard. Saw it in the cinema a few months ago and thought very highly of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Funnily enough I bought Rust & Bone the other day. Not got round to watching it yet but am sure it's another Audiard classic.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Grown Ups 2 - Predictable, some smiles, no need to follow up the first, waste of abilities. I like Adam Sandler, Water Boy is one of my favourite movies as it is just beyond parody of US collegiate sports and life in America. But this movie just didn't need to be made. 1.5/10

White House Down - It was the only one not in 3D in the cinema and the other half told me we'll have to see it. We did and it wasn't too bad, but it was also pretty terrible. It was funny in parts and James Woods is always interesting, but terrible in how poor an actor Channing Tatum is, at least in this. Waste of good buttered popcorn. 2/10

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    The Worlds End-Pegg and Frost go on the pub crawl to end all pub crawls,their usual set of side kicks show up and I loved it,I'd put it just below Hot Fuzz but plenty of laughs and a soundtrack that was top notch if you liked the Manc music scene from a few years back 8/10

This Is The End,Seth Rogan,Jonah Hill,James Franco and a few famous cameos,the aforementioned play themselves at a a mad party in Franco's house when they gat attacked by a zombie gang and have to survive on meagre rations whilst they sit it out and wait for help to come,a bit laboured compared to the Pegg movie but enjoyable all the same 6.5/10.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Grown Ups 2 - Predictable, some smiles, no need to follow up the first, waste of abilities. I like Adam Sandler, Water Boy is one of my favourite movies as it is just beyond parody of US collegiate sports and life in America. But this movie just didn't need to be made. 1.5/10
    It must be at least 10 years since Sandler made a decent movie.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Watched a movie last night starring Joaquin Phoenix and Phillip Seymour Hoffman last night called The Master. From 2012, written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, who done There Will Be Blood.
    It's partly inspired by L. Ron Hubbard of Scientology fame.
    The movie is based around Phoenixs character, basically being a drunk fool stumbling from place to place after coming home from the war. Hoffmans character takes him in, and transforms him, all for 'the cause'. It's where the whole scientology part comes in.
    There's not a whole lot more I can say about it.

A really fantastic film, and completely worth watching. Hoffman and Phoenix are both superb in it. 100% one of the best movies of 2012. Only wish I'd watched it sooner. 10/10
    Just watched it there last night thought it good for first hour/90 min but found it dragged out a bit from there on. Although I would agree that both Hoffman and Phoenix were excellent
    Last edited by Neish; 28/07/2013 at 9:15 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    It must be at least 10 years since Sandler made a decent movie.
    It hard when you basically play the same character in every film

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Anyone see the Art of Killing? Thought it was slightly over rated, a good idea for a movie but i dont think it worked. The movie follows some anti-Chinese/Communists from Indonesia who committed atrocities back in the day, and gets them to recreate their methods of torture and direct a movie about their activities. The idea from the director was to show that by going over their crimes remorse would set in. I dont think the remorse and sorrow that was shown was too genuine and the people highlighted were horrible characters that made themselves look awful (that might have been the point!). but for over 3 hours it was long!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    The Worlds End-Pegg and Frost go on the pub crawl to end all pub crawls,their usual set of side kicks show up and I loved it,I'd put it just below Hot Fuzz but plenty of laughs and a soundtrack that was top notch if you liked the Manc music scene from a few years back 8/10
    Went to see it with Mrs Grise last week. Great soundtrack alright, and I liked the way Pegg and Frost played against type (basically by playing the kind of role the other usually plays) but I thought it was a bit disappointing. Some good laughs and one-liners and the cast gelled perfectly, but for me it felt unoriginal and formulaic. If Pegg and Wright weren't associated with it, it may never have been made, or - at least - not with the great cast that was assembled.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Went to see it with Mrs Grise last week. Great soundtrack alright, and I liked the way Pegg and Frost played against type (basically by playing the kind of role the other usually plays) but I thought it was a bit disappointing. Some good laughs and one-liners and the cast gelled perfectly, but for me it felt unoriginal and formulaic. If Pegg and Wright weren't associated with it, it may never have been made, or - at least - not with the great cast that was assembled.
    I suppose expectation comes into it as I had read it wasn't up to much and was expecting it to be poor but got pleasantly surprised,it was billed as the third leg of a trilogy so it's going to be somewhat unoriginal

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    I have a hunch that calling it the third of a trilogy was a marketing ploy to get bums on seats. http://irishtimes.newspaperdirect.co...er/viewer.aspx . IIRC, wasn't Hot Fuzz seen as the follow-up to Shaun of the Dead? No mention of it being the midpoint of a trilogy.

Anyway, a trilogy has something running through it to connect all three parts - characters, location, motif, something. Shaun, HF and this are just three disconnected comic horror films. It's watchable, but no more than that.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post

Anyway, a trilogy has something running through it to connect all three parts - characters, location, motif, something.
    Cornettos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_F...rnetto_trilogy

Page 73 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast