Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Owen Coyle

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts

Owen Coyle

It's great to see another Scottish-born Irish man doing well. Having completed a very good job at both Falkirk and St Johnstone, he has guided Burnley to a very credible 6th in championship. If he keeps it up he will be a shoe in for a premiership job within a couple years. Suppose to favour attacking football encouraging each and every player to express themselves on the ball. He probably rates as 3rd in the "Best Irish manager abroad" at this given juncture behind Roy Keane, and probably Mick McCarthy. He has definitely surpassed David O' Leary in the reputation stakes. His reputation is certainly growing by the week with his chairman apparently living in constant fear that he'll be snapped up by a bigger club. If he keeps going the way he's going, he will be a very strong candidate for the Irish job in a few years.....probably after the Brady era ends in tears..........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Afer they played Arsenal in the Carling Cup last year, Wenger was full of praise for Coyle and the way he has his side playing. Looks like he has a big future in the game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I tell you they really rate him in Burnley at the moment . At the start of the season they lost their first two games and a few boo boys were around , but since then they have done very well .
    Last night was a classic from OC as they were 1-1 away to Coventry so what does he do ? errr lock up shop and hang on for a draw or go for it well with 30 minutes left he took off two midfielders and a defender and put on 3 attackers to replace them . Yes they had 5 forward players and it paid off and they won 3-1 .
    He said this morning that this can leave short at the back but 3 points for a win is away better than 1 for a draw . Hey you roll your dice and you take your chance I would say

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Two things need to happen:

1. Delaney needs to sound out Coyle and see if he is interested in the Irish job.

2. If he is, John needs to get Denis O'Brien and Trap in a room and negotiate cancellation of his contract. He has just over a yr and half left on his contract now. We're talking around 1&1/4m. Probably get rid of him for just under a million. In the long run it will be money well spent if we can get Coyle in.

This circus has to stop now.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    Coyle will command a lower salaray also. This will help to cushion the blow of the settlement.

Coyle's first year at Bolton and his time at Burnley were resounding successes. He's been somewhat unlucky since. I'd like to see his name under consideration.

6. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Trap is going nowhere and the money means nothing to him, he's a millionaire several times over. This is about pride, and he agreed to stay on for another two years. No way he goes anywhere before that, unless he dies.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Trap is going nowhere and the money means nothing to him, he's a millionaire several times over. This is about pride, and he agreed to stay on for another two years. No way he goes anywhere before that, unless he dies.
    Trapatonni sleeps with the fishes

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Coyle will command a lower salaray also. This will help to cushion the blow of the settlement.

Coyle's first year at Bolton and his time at Burnley were resounding successes. He's been somewhat unlucky since. I'd like to see his name under consideration.
    I reckon he'll go back to Burnley, absolutely no chance he'll take the Ireland job if it was available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Owen Coyle: Irish cap but born and bred in Gorbals': http://www.scotsman.com/sport/footba...bals-1-2668096

WHEN he was a player, Owen Coyle admits that pragmatism trumped over patriotism. So convinced was he that he wasn’t good enough to play for Scotland, he jumped at an offer to represent the Republic of Ireland.

It is a decision which almost took him to a World Cup finals, narrowly missing out on a place in Jack Charlton’s squad for the 1994 tournament in the United States.

Coyle remains fiercely proud of his Irish heritage but both his accent and his sense of footballing identity are firmly rooted in the land where he first made his name as a prolific striker and then one of the most highly 
regarded young managers of recent years.

Currently in between jobs following his dismissal by Bolton Wanderers last month, Coyle was back on home turf in 
Glasgow yesterday in his role as a Scottish Football Association youth ambassador at a Tesco Bank Football Challenge event at the Toryglen Regional Football Centre.

He may yet find himself being approached by the SFA for an altogether more elevated post as he has emerged as one of the leading potential candidates to succeed Craig Levein as the new Scotland manager.

Coyle has also been linked with the Republic of Ireland job in the recent past, amid speculation over Giovanni Trapattoni’s future, but it is clear he feels a strong affinity to Scotland despite his status as a former Irish international. “My mum will probably fall out with me here,” he smiled, in reference to his Donegal parentage. “But the simplest answer to whether I feel more Irish or Scottish is that at the time I was asked to play for Ireland, I was a part-timer with Dumbarton in the Scottish First Division.

“I was asked if I wanted to play for the Irish under-21 side back in 1987. At that time, the Scotland under-21 side was one of the best we’d had for a long, long time. Seven or eight of them were first-team regulars, a lot of them with the Old Firm – lads like Ian Durrant, Derek Ferguson, Derek Whyte, Peter Grant, Joe Miller, Robert Fleck and Ian Ferguson.

“I was 9st 7lbs at the time – before I bulked up to 9st 12lbs later on my career! So it was a very simple choice for me when Ireland asked me to represent them.

“My ambition was to play at the highest level possible and, if I’m being totally honest, I didn’t and still don’t think I would have been good enough to play for Scotland.

“But the Irish watched me play six or seven times for Dumbarton and my first game for them was actually against Scotland. It was a European Under-21 Championship qualifier at Tynecastle in February 1987.

“I remember big Alex McLeish and the St Mirren goalkeeper Campbell Money were the two over-age players in the Scotland team that night. In the first minute, I waltzed past Big Eck and then took the ball round Campbell and scored. Scotland still won 4-1, though. Robert Fleck got a hat-trick and Ian 
Ferguson scored the other one. As I say, they had a fantastic team back then.”

Coyle actually managed just seven minutes of action for the Irish senior team, replacing Tommy Coyne in the final 
stages of a famous 1-0 friendly win over the Netherlands in Tilburg just two months before the 1994 World Cup finals.

At that time, Coyle was perhaps at the height of his powers as a player with Bolton Wanderers and was regarded as a serious candidate for the Irish squad which travelled to the USA. But he lost out as Charlton named Coyne, John Aldridge, Tony Cascarino and David Kelly as the four strikers in his party. Coyle never won another cap for 
Ireland but has no regrets.

“I’ve got Irish parents and I’m very proud of that,” he added. “That will never change. But I’m Gorbals born and bred.”

At 46, Coyle knows he may be regarded by some as still too young for the Scotland job. But, while he understands the perception that international football is better suited to older, more experienced coaches, he does not feel it would necessarily preclude him from taking it on at this stage of his career.

“There is a lot of merit in that argument,” said Coyle. “International football management has always been associated with the older age group but I think it has changed a wee bit in recent times. Look at Michael O’Neill in charge of Northern Ireland, or Slaven Bilic when he was with Croatia. They are both younger coaches. I’ve always loved working day-to-day with players, I’ve never made any secret of that, but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t listen to what the SFA had to say if they were to consider me.

“We’ll wait and see what comes up. There are fantastic candidates for the job, such as Gordon Strachan. There are a number of others out there. We’re very lucky in that respect and I’m pretty sure the SFA will get the right man.

“What I will say is that we have a good group of players and you want the national team to do well. There is no reason why we can’t do so again. I think everyone would now accept that to finish above either of the 
current top two in our World Cup group is going to be 
extremely difficult.

“We could probably win all our remaining games and still not do it. It’s not like club football, there are no transfer windows. The new man will have to work with the players currently available and the younger ones coming through.

“But whoever comes in would still want to finish as high up the group table as possible and then give us a chance of qualifying for the next European Championship in 2016.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts

Good man yourself Owen.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Call him up Trap!

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    I'm sure I read an interview with this guy someplace else another time, a time when possibly the Scots job wasn't available, when he was going on about growing up in an area dubbed 'little Donegal' and being aware of being Irish. Strong ex-pat community, big Gaoth Dobhair influence of his father, etc.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    They called where he grew up 'mini-Donegal' so when he, Glasgow-born, was given the chance to play for Ireland , he didn't have to think about it. There was a choice, he says because Scotland wanted him too, but there was no decision to make. His first match for the U-21s was against Scotland and Coyle, as he tended to do, scored early, but Scotland went on to win.
    Hmm... A glaring inconsistency there.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    What a carry on from him. Eyes peeled so for what he spouts when Trap does leave.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Hmm... A glaring inconsistency there.
    There is no inconsistency from Owen, if you think so then read them both again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    There is no inconsistency from Owen, if you think so then read them both again.
    So, did Scotland want him or not? The more recent piece would indicate there was no interest from the SFA and that he didn't see himself as good enough anyway, whilst the older piece claims the SFA were interested and that he chose to play for Ireland in spite of this.

"My ambition was to play at the highest level possible and, if I’m being totally honest, I didn’t and still don’t think I would have been good enough to play for Scotland."
    There was a choice, he says because Scotland wanted him too, but there was no decision to make.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    he didn't have to think about it. There was a choice, he says because Scotland wanted him too
    Ya he clearly says in the other article that he thought scotland didnt want him. Why lie now or then?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    So, did Scotland want him or not? The more recent piece would indicate there was no interest from the SFA and that he didn't see himself as good enough anyway, whilst the older piece claims the SFA were interested and that he chose to play for Ireland in spite of this.
    That's not an inconsistency. In the Scotsman article, there is an implication that he had a choice to join the SFA u21, whereas in the Indo article, it directly states that he had an invitation from the SFA to join the squad.

As I wrote, there is no inconsistency from Owen in this matter. If you feel there is an inconsistency, then that comes down to another factor - journalistic style/emphasis/slant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    The way I read it, the SFA wanted him, and in an ideal world he would have liked to play for them, but thought that he'd have a better chance of not just sitting on the bench if he declared for Ireland.

Worked out really well for him as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast