Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson defends his performance...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts

Gibson defends his performance...

http://www.derryjournal.com/derry-sp...phy.4601963.jp

Here's the pertinent part:

I don’t care what anyone is saying about me, to be honest,” said Darron last night.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been fitter than what I am now and the main thing is that we won the game. The manager told both Glenn Whelan and myself to sit deep and help with defending. It was a typically Italian way of playing of the game,” he claimed.

“It was a different role than what I’m used to playing at Manchester United, I suppose I’d rather be bombing forward and be more attacking, but it was a big confidence-booster to play at this level and, hopefully, I can kick on from here and make an impression in the squad.”

Only confirms what we already though Trap was trying to achieve. Maybe we'd have seen more from him or Whelan if their leash as loosened - but I don't think that's anything we're going to see under Trap, at least not currently
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Agreed. Its all about the result for Trap with entertaining football well down his list of prioirities

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I really don't think a 20 year old should have to defend himself considering he was following instructions.Mr Dunphys comments were inaproapriate IMO.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    http://www.derryjournal.com/derry-sp...phy.4601963.jp

Here's the pertinent part:

I don’t care what anyone is saying about me, to be honest,” said Darron last night.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been fitter than what I am now and the main thing is that we won the game. The manager told both Glenn Whelan and myself to sit deep and help with defending. It was a typically Italian way of playing of the game,” he claimed.

“It was a different role than what I’m used to playing at Manchester United, I suppose I’d rather be bombing forward and be more attacking, but it was a big confidence-booster to play at this level and, hopefully, I can kick on from here and make an impression in the squad.”

Only confirms what we already though Trap was trying to achieve. Maybe we'd have seen more from him or Whelan if their leash as loosened - but I don't think that's anything we're going to see under Trap, at least not currently
    We will see it, we just to to go behind first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Gibson did his job and did what he was asked but S.Reid was also asked to do the same role and still he was the reason we dominated possession for large periods of the previous games. The central midfielders need to show for the ball more than they did against Cyprus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Gibson did his job and did what he was asked but S.Reid was also asked to do the same role and still he was the reason we dominated possession for large periods of the previous games. The central midfielders need to show for the ball more than they did against Cyprus.

In fairness to Gibson he is 20 with 21 appearances in the first team of an English side. Reid, who is 27 and has played 109 times for Blackburn and 158 times for Millwall. Factor that in with 22 international caps.

The lad is deffinately better in an attacking sense seen enough of him to know that. Maybe Traps tactics don't suit him he only needs time he will be great players for Ireland.
    Last edited by gaiscíoch; 22/10/2008 at 8:59 AM.
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    In fairness to Gibson he is 20 with 21 appearances in the first team of an English side. Reid, who is 27 and has played 109 times for Blackburn and 158 times for Millwall. Factor that in with 22 international caps.

The lad is deffinately better in an attacking sense seen enough of him to know that. Maybe Traps tactics don't suit him he only needs time he will be great players for Ireland.

Great post. Totally agree with everything you say here.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    if he did what trap said, why did trap make the comments he said about him that he was nervous and he didnt perform like he did in training?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    It was the guys first start at senior international level.We got a good result.
    If he does step up to the mark that first start will have been seen in hindsight a good help in his developement.
    I would like to see him out on loan at a championship club or better still at a premier league club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Yes he needs to play regularly. I don't think he is the answer yet in central midfield but he may well be.

Andy Reid could do with playing for Sunderland as well on a regular basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    In all seriousness what were most Irish fans expecting from this kid. It was his debut and he has only a handful of appearances for Man Utd. For his debut he did quite well. Some people seem to be buying into the Dunphy logic on this, that Gibson, on his full match debut, should be controlling the game and running the show ala Roy Keane in his day. People need to get their expectations in check. I have said it before and ill say it again, Whealan and Gibson have between them less than 10 caps so i think we should be picking up on the positives of their performances. In fairness they did their job and Cyprus only rarely looked like creating anything. It may not look pretty, but by god ill take this over Stauntons Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo View Post
    I really don't think a 20 year old should have to defend himself considering he was following instructions.Mr Dunphys comments were inaproapriate IMO.
    Always.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    In all seriousness what were most Irish fans expecting from this kid. It was his debut and he has only a handful of appearances for Man Utd. For his debut he did quite well. Some people seem to be buying into the Dunphy logic on this, that Gibson, on his full match debut, should be controlling the game and running the show ala Roy Keane in his day. People need to get their expectations in check. I have said it before and ill say it again, Whealan and Gibson have between them less than 10 caps so i think we should be picking up on the positives of their performances. In fairness they did their job and Cyprus only rarely looked like creating anything. It may not look pretty, but by god ill take this over Stauntons Ireland
    I think different people are seeing different things, and are expecting different things, and then some are just seeing inexperience as a substitue. I have to say I personally thought gibson was better than whelan(4 years at that age is a huge difference in terms of physique, ability, experience etc), he looked more aware on the ball when he had it and he looked more agile and intelligent when distributing/using the ball. I think a good barometer here would be the tackle count/lost possession/won back possession in terms of whether or not they could have done more, sitting back is fair enough but it doesnt mean you dont get back and make tackles and try and win possession back, what is the point of just an extra body in front of the back 4 if they aren't going to do that/anything? SUre he could have put anyone in there if thats the case.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    if he did what trap said, why did trap make the comments he said about him that he was nervous and he didnt perform like he did in training?
    Did Trap say that?
    Even if Trap said that, doesn't it also mean that Gibson has the capacity to play with more confidence? He would have to, if he is to be a midfield contender.
    Bear in mind that Gibson played with an adequate but inexperienced Whelan.

It has been mentioned that Trap is the manager who didn't play Pirlo therefore he doesn't value that type of player in his team. But he is also the manager who made sure he had the best offer on the table to sign Liam Brady for Juve. He knows a few things about playmakers, he had the best of them in his Juve teams. He built his Juve teams around Brady and Platini.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya he definitely did, i think i remember EB saying it on here, and then i read it online, thought it was RTE but it must have been the independent.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I thought Gibson blatantly hid at times!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Frankly I don't believe he should have to defend his selection. Just shows the level our gutter journalists/pundits now operate at.

Trap has a system, & whether Dunphy & co. like it or not it is getting results. Trap picks the players that are best suited to his system, not the best players.

As a holding defensive midfielder Gibson is better than Reid. As a winger Duff, McGeady & Hunt are far better able at attacking then tracking back down the wing for 90 mins than Andy Reid.

If Dunphy was to look at this in a pragmatic & logical manner rather than his usual waffle/bulls**t he might actually agree.

This however would not give him & his tabloid colleague hacks anywhere near as many headlines or articles as not selecting Andy Reid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    Trap picks the players that are best suited to his system, not the best players.
    Agreed, it's why the Ireland XI played that system against Forest - 2 strikers, 2 wingers, 2 defensive central midfielders. Trap was looking for players to fit his system, not necessarily players who did well on the night. I thought Keogh and Andrews were the best players on the pitch over the 90 minutes, but it was Gibson and Folan who made it to the Cyprus game.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Gibson sored a penalty for the reserves last night after making the bench for the Champions league game on Tuesday evening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by co. down green View Post
    Gibson sored a penalty for the reserves last night after making the bench for the Champions league game on Tuesday evening.
    Michael Daly, Paul Marshall and Donal McDermott played in the same game
    review on man city's site: http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pa...10&toyear=2008
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast