Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Certain Journos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Certain Journos

a journo in the indo today complains in this sundays paper that the irish team has no style and should be dispatching cyprus with ease.

Personally I'm fine with winning at any cost. Jack's teams were hardly silky skill merchants.

qualification please. style be damned.

He also moans that the poland game will be under-attended. This is no surprise. It's a midweek friendly against Poland. Who cares. The only people pleased about this game are the poles in ireland. You'd swear every ireland friendly over the last 20 years was packed to the rafters the way he is carrying on. Hands up who has been at lansdowne on a wet march night watching ireland play czech republic/greece/nigeria/usa(very wet) when there were thousands of empty seats.

journos, please do one/sling yer hook.

I won't mention the chap by name as I don't wish to give him the notoriety.

what say you all.. are the journos clutching at straws or is there a case?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Lazy jounralism at work again. Probably one of Dunphy's buddies trying to cause trouble for Trap. We're in danger of turning into the English press if fools like Dunphy and this Indo guy (Ahern, perhaps?) start manufacturing consent like this.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    Lazy jounralism at work again. Probably one of Dunphy's buddies trying to cause trouble for Trap. We're in danger of turning into the English press if fools like Dunphy and this Indo guy (Ahern, perhaps?) start manufacturing consent like this.
    Probably more like the journos that wanted Venables appointed rather than Trap and cant wait for him to fail
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I read another article in the Sindo at the weekend by John O'Brien, It was dreadful stuff, his comments about Trapps defence made me laugh out loud -

who else we got John who is going to fill these positions you wrote so cuttingly about - the extract was something in the way of - how can we take a manager seriously who puts O'shea and McShane in defence - WHO ELSE HAVE WE GOT JOHN???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    These scum are never happy , just waiting for the first opportunity for Trap to fail , We have done great so far , so the performance wasn't great against Cyprus , but we won , I'd take plenty more so so performances if it meant three points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry View Post
    He also moans that the poland game will be under-attended. This is no surprise. It's a midweek friendly against Poland. Who cares. The only people pleased about this game are the poles in ireland. You'd swear every ireland friendly over the last 20 years was packed to the rafters the way he is carrying on. Hands up who has been at lansdowne on a wet march night watching ireland play czech republic/greece/nigeria/usa(very wet) when there were thousands of empty seats.
    journos, please do one/sling yer hook.

I won't mention the chap by name as I don't wish to give him the notoriety.

what say you all.. are the journos clutching at straws or is there a case?

My hands up and plenty of real fans who follow teams through and through will have been there. Are you one of these who only go to the big games? Wheres the real fans!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    They'll be happy if they are on a first class ticket to South Africa in less than 2 years time. I thought he was also disrespectful to Cyprus - a team which outplayed Italy a few weeks ago + a country which now has a team in the group stages of the CL.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo kerry View Post
    Hands up who has been at lansdowne on a wet march night watching ireland play czech republic/greece/nigeria/usa(very wet) when there were thousands of empty seats.
    i presume you refer to the friendly we beat the czechs 3-2? one of the best matches i was ever at. 2 nil down and came back to win 3-2!

i take your point on the journalists. real sour people. we had 1 pt from 3 matches in the last campaign yet this time have 7 from 3 games. cant argue with that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You are all getting a bit heated about the opinions of a couple of journalists.

While there has been some disgracefully unprofessional stuff written over the last few years in Irish Football it does not mean every journalist who writes an article that you disagree with is a muck-raker looking to cause trouble. You would say yes if there was no foundation, but of course there are things to worry about under Trap.

You'd have to be a fool not to spot them. We knew we were getting a negative manager who will aim to keep things tight, so how the hell can you be surprised to read an article that there is no style to our play? Of course this was going to happen under Trap. Some people value style of play over a results at any cost attitude. I myself am generally like that, but am happy to put up with our current gameplan to get us settled after the last couple of years of turmoil.

It's not a ridiculous argument to ask how can we play McShane and O'Shea in defence. Have you not been around to watch the shambles that is O'Shea over the last few years. I was asking last year that he be let nowhere near the team, although it's a pleasant surprise to see him start to turn it around. McShane has quite obviously shown over the last year that he is not up to it. So what is so wrong with asking why they are there. Players should be picked on form. And of course we have options. Or are you not aware of the names in our squad and outside it that play in defence? Plenty of them play well at club level, and deserve to be picked on form. Foley and O'Brien alone for the right back position that McShane made a mess of.

I'm fully behind Trapattoni, but also fully aware of the problems so far. Too many Ireland fans are way too touchy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    i presume you refer to the friendly we beat the czechs 3-2? one of the best matches i was ever at. 2 nil down and came back to win 3-2!
    :confused
    a friendly was one of the best matches you were ever at?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    :confused
    a friendly was one of the best matches you were ever at?
    yes, most home friendlys are complete rubbish but that was was a great game and good atmosphere. how is that confusing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I was using the confused smiley to express surprise. dunno why it came out as text
    just dont get excited about friendlies myself. surprised anyone would be excited by that game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Actually jbyrne is correct imo - that friendly was the turning-point in Mick McCarthy's tenure as manager. The team that night (except for Paul Butler) was essentially the same that qualified for Japorea, with Roy Keane coming in for either Holland or Kinsella depending on who was available.
    Incidentally, watching it afterwards I recall George Hamilton remarking on the healthy attendance (about 25k), saying where else in Europe would you get an attendance like that for a friendly on a such a night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I was using the confused smiley to express surprise. dunno why it came out as text
    just dont get excited about friendlies myself. surprised anyone would be excited by that game.
    it was a good game with atmosphere were we came from 2 down to beat one of the better teams in europe at the time. simple as that really

would agree most friendlies are useless though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monutdfc View Post
    Incidentally, watching it afterwards I recall George Hamilton remarking on the healthy attendance (about 25k), saying where else in Europe would you get an attendance like that for a friendly on a such a night
    He is legally obliged to say this for every friendly match rte shows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Its been changed to include all qualifiers too.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He is legally obliged to say this for every friendly match rte shows.
    jeez christ what the hell you talking about.

If you look back for the last couple of years Ireland have had top attendence in quite a few matches in the international scene.

there was about 33,000 there that night and you would find it harder to get a bigger crowd for game where Ireland were not preparing for nay major championship while the Czechs were.

there was 52,000 or so at game last wedensday night I dont think there was too many more at other games across Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    jeez christ what the hell you talking about
    He's talking about george Hamilton's overuse of certain phrases and cliches

What did you think he was talking about?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    He's talking about george Hamilton's overuse of certain phrases and cliches

What did you think he was talking about?
    aaa ya I know I was being bloody sarcastic

did ya not read the rest of it no.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernian View Post
    jeez christ what the hell you talking about.

If you look back for the last couple of years Ireland have had top attendence in quite a few matches in the international scene.

there was about 33,000 there that night and you would find it harder to get a bigger crowd for game where Ireland were not preparing for nay major championship while the Czechs were.

there was 52,000 or so at game last wedensday night I dont think there was too many more at other games across Europe.

I would have thought that there was more than 52,000 there the other night.

Neil
    In Trap we trust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast