Thread: Stokes to the Blades

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Stokes to the Blades

See here.

Championship side Sheffield United have signed Sunderland forward Anthony Stokes on a three-month loan.
    The 20-year-old Republic of Ireland international will go straight into the Blades squad to face Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough on Sunday.
    Stokes began his career at Arsenal, and moved to the Stadium of Light after a highly prolific loan spell at Falkirk.
    The Dubliner, who can also play on the left side of midfield, scored 16 goals in 18 games for the Bairns in 2006/07.
    Stokes has played in just three games for the Black Cats this season, although scored twice late on against Northampton in the Carling Cup. Blades boss Kevin Blackwell told the club website: "He will give us more options on the left-hand side, especially as we have got a few injury niggles. He has also played in the hole and gives us great cover right across the frontline."
    It was coming to be honest. My only hope is that they don't throw him on the left-wing. He's obviously a striker and it's clear that he has an eye for goal.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would be very foolish to put him on the left wing.
    If played through the middle he will score a hatful

Can only be a good move for Ireland......was never going to get a proper look in a Sunderland although i get a feeling that Keane really fancys him, just needs to apply himself better

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FootballsKing View Post

Can only be a good move for Ireland......was never going to get a proper look in a Sunderland although i get a feeling that Keane really fancys him, just needs to apply himself better
    Like I said on another thread, there really is a worry that the kid will go the way of Sean Thornton. I hope he doesn't, because he's clearly got more natural ability than many members in the Irish squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    saw him play an under 21 game in Terryland last season and I have to admit he seems to have a really, really bad attitude. he had absolutely no interest. Sean Scannell (came on) and Andy Keogh both played that night and were excellent, full of running and effort. Stokes strutted around and was very disappointing overall. I had been really looking forward to watching Stokes in the match but won't in future.

I have had an interest in the player since he was with Falkirk but the more I see and read of him the less I think he will achieve in the game. He seems like a big time charlie who thinks he should be everyones number one. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I thought the thread title was suggesting that Keane had finally knifed him.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    This is last chance saloon for Stokesy. Its high time he stops playing touch mickey and starts fulfilling that undoubted potential he has. Not sure he will though, he has already been corrupted by all the perks of being a high paid footballer at such a young age. Terrible attitude. Best of luck to the guy though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FootballsKing View Post
    nothing he's done at that level would suggest he'll score a hatful of goals in any position
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why do so many young talented Irish players have such a poor attitude. Are they to stupid to see if they put the work in that the rewards are massive.

Maybe this move will wake him up. He as stated all season that he wanted to stay at Sunderland and fight for his place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Will do him good 2 play a bit lower down, he can finish thats for sure just not 2 many goals to be had at sunderland
    he has to score at least every other game for stoke if he is to be taken seriously

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary Fan View Post
    Why do so many young talented Irish players have such a poor attitude. Are they to stupid to see if they put the work in that the rewards are massive.

Maybe this move will wake him up. He as stated all season that he wanted to stay at Sunderland and fight for his place.
    Think its more than young Irish lads to be fair, its a problem with alot of young footballers, they get paid a hell of alot of money these days even before they get near the first team and the hunger isnt there for alot of them. Think Roy Keane had a bit of a rant about it a few years back too. In years past the youth player had to do things like cleaning the senior pros boots, thats not even done anymore
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I just wish a manager would play him as an out and out striker like he was played at Falkirk. If people think McGeady is frustrating, Stokes is on a whole new level. Don't get him involved in the build up play. Stick him up front and let him score.