Thread: Bulgaria and Berbatov

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bulgaria and Berbatov

Taken from the Sun's website

ENGLAND’S players may be raving about Dimitar Berbatov — but his international future with Bulgaria is hanging by a thread.
    The Manchester United striker was awful in Wednesday’s 0-0 World Cup qualifier away to Georgia and not much better in Saturday’s goalless draw against Italy.

Angry Bulgarian supporters were waiting at Sofia airport yesterday morning and threw eggs and toilet rolls at Berbatov and his team-mates, including Aston Villa’s Martin Petrov and Stiliyan Petrov.

Berbatov, in particular, has been slammed for his poor performances and there are rumours in Bulgaria that the United man could quit international football.

Boss Plamen Markov slaughtered Berba after the shock midweek draw with Group Eight underdogs Georgia.

Markov said: “Berbatov was very far from his real qualities. If somebody doesn’t want to play for Bulgaria he will not be picked.”

Even Berba said: “I played very poorly.”

The United striker may now be dropped from next month’s friendly with Serbia.

His week had started badly after he came under fierce attack from Bulgarian FA vice- president Yordan Lechkov for running just 2km in Saturday’s game against Italy.

Lechkov said: “Berbatov’s job is to score goals and Bulgaria to win games.

“Berbatov ran just 2,000m against Italy when normally a player runs between 9,000 and 10,000m during 90 minutes. Berbatov is the captain and must lead the team, he has to give his best on the pitch.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    berb's the capt he wont be dropped. cant imagine bulgaria have the quality to replace him. cant turn it on and win a game. ive seen a lot of him at spurs and if hes given space and time say like wed night we could be in trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FootballsKing View Post
    Angry Bulgarian supporters were waiting at Sofia airport yesterday morning and threw eggs and toilet rolls at Berbatov and his team-mates, including Aston Villa’s Martin Petrov and Stiliyan Petrov.
    There's the credibility gone right there - Martin Petrov plays for Man City. Throwing eggs was a bit harsh on Petrov, he's only after coming back from (another) injury at City, so to expect him to be a match winner is a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    berb's the capt he wont be dropped. cant imagine bulgaria have the quality to replace him. cant turn it on and win a game. ive seen a lot of him at spurs and if hes given space and time say like wed night we could be in trouble.
    Dunne and O'Shea gave nobody space on wednesday night, Konstantinou was taken off because he was so ineffective against them.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    There's the credibility gone right there - Martin Petrov plays for Man City. Throwing eggs was a bit harsh on Petrov, he's only after coming back from (another) injury at City, so to expect him to be a match winner is a bit much.

Dunne and O'Shea gave nobody space on wednesday night, Konstantinou was taken off because he was so ineffective against them.
    i was talking about our midfield - berb will drop of a bit and collect the ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Taken from the Sun's website
    “Berbatov ran just 2,000m against Italy when normally a player runs between 9,000 and 10,000m during 90 minutes. Berbatov is the captain and must lead the team, he has to give his best on the pitch.”
    2km?
    Must be a record, even the goalkeeper would have more movement recorded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    i was talking about our midfield - berb will drop of a bit and collect the ball.
    why do you think there was loads of space in front of Dunne and O'Shea the last night??? i thought the two sitting midfielders had that area pretty much covered tbh...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    why do you think there was loads of space in front of Dunne and O'Shea the last night??? i thought the two sitting midfielders had that area pretty much covered tbh...
    what ?
    whelan and gibson were barely in the game. as giles said after the we played without a midfield really apart from duff and mcgeady. they barely touched the ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    what ?
    whelan and gibson were barely in the game. as giles said after the we played without a midfield really apart from duff and mcgeady. they barely touched the ball.
    how many times did cyprus come through the middle to threaten us or more accurately to your previous comment how many times did their attacking players drop off and pick the ball up?? very few if any!!!

whelan and gibson had very little impact when we were in possession but they did accomplish their primary objective of preventing the opposition from running straight at our defense. to this end they did their jobs. the manager decided to play with two midfielders to sit in front of our defense and to my mind the players are being individually hounded for sticking to the game plan. if there is flak to be taken, to my mind there shouldn't be but if there is, then it should be Trap in the firing line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    what ?
    It isn't what they did with the ball that was important in the game, it was what they did when we weren't in possession. They blocked all direct passes from Cyprus' defence and central midfield to their strikers, they had to go to the wings. Considering how we were torn apart by their midfield in Cyprus, and to a lesser extent last October, I'd say it was job done.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Lads the last two comments to me are somewhat non-sensical. To say that they did their job because cyrpus never came through the middle is true, but the only reason they didn't was because mcshane and kilbane to a lesser extent were getting beaten by high balls, more the point cyprus should never had the possession in the frist place, its up to the midfield to win back possession, hold onto it and use it. Its fine if you are san marino and playing italy, and you tell your defenders and midfielder, sit back don't attack just stay in front of the defence sitting deep near the edge of the box. We are not a minnow, our midfielders should be looking to win back and retain possession not sit on a lead and hold back and break down attacks to hoof them back to the oppossition again.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    “Berbatov ran just 2,000m against Italy...
    Jesus christ. ffs I'm unfit but can still run 2k in about 10 minutes. Most players would probably even walk a lot more than 2k when nowhere near the ball over 90 minutes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In fairness to Berbatov, isn't he supposed to be a smoker? It's very unprofessional but smoking really does make excercise a lot harder.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    In fairness to Berbatov, isn't he supposed to be a smoker? It's very unprofessional but smoking really does make excercise a lot harder.
    Didn't do Zidane much harm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    how many times did cyprus come through the middle to threaten us or more accurately to your previous comment how many times did their attacking players drop off and pick the ball up?? very few if any!!!

whelan and gibson had very little impact when we were in possession but they did accomplish their primary objective of preventing the opposition from running straight at our defense. to this end they did their jobs. the manager decided to play with two midfielders to sit in front of our defense and to my mind the players are being individually hounded for sticking to the game plan. if there is flak to be taken, to my mind there shouldn't be but if there is, then it should be Trap in the firing line.
    To be honest I'm a sucker for that ole cliche 'attack is teh best form of defence'
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

It really makes no difference at that age, there are olymipc atheletes smoke.
    It's not as if he has fag on whilst on the pitch.

(Note above picture looks like an unfiltered cigarette too!!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Didn't do Zidane much harm.
    Or Cryuff!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Richard Dunne, Wayne Rooney like the odd ciggy.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well, seeing as it's turned into a who's who of smokers, Rui Costa and Jorge Costa both smoked. One of my friend's dad's told me that Jorge Costa asked him for a cigarette at half time in a friendly.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast