Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TV Viewing Figures

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    "Irish people generally aren't great at attending sporting events, and with genuine concerns over how much spare income they have, they're going to pick and choose what they spend their money on
    Disagree Dodge, Croker, Thomand, Lepordstown, local GAA are all well attended. Sadly as previously discussed ad infinitum without any solution it is really only LOI that is realtively poorly attended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    thats rubbish - just go to nay LOI game - we are the biggest cheerleaders alright - good at jumping on the bandwagon
    the sporting world in this country doesnt revolve around attending LOI matches. lots of sporting events in this country are very well attended

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    How many big championship games are there? 5/6 max per team (Less than 18,000 at leinster hurling final!) 3 games max in the 6 nations. No more than 4 home qualifiers in a year.

Until last year magners league crowds were averaging less than 5,000 (have admittedly shot up...). GAA league games dreadful. Football crowds abysmal. And no other sport has more than a 1,000 people at it

Compare that to sporting attendances around europe
    Apples and oranges. There was over 10,000 in Parnell Park for the Dublin senior football semi-finals last weekend. Over 15,000 at the Cork hurling final etc. The latter stages of club championships get pretty big crowds all over the country. I have 2 allegiances. My club & my county. There's more to the GAA than just the intercounty scene.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
    Apples and oranges. There was over 10,000 in Parnell Park for the Dublin senior football semi-finals last weekend. Over 15,000 at the Cork hurling final etc. The latter stages of club championships get pretty big crowds all over the country. I have 2 allegiances. My club & my county. There's more to the GAA than just the intercounty scene.
    how dare they. why were they not at a LOI match? sure thats all that matters really

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    To be fair there's big differnce paying €70 for an All Ireland Football/Hurling final to support your county at the highest level they can possibly compete at and paying €70 to see an Ireland international on a Wednesday night if yer talkin value for money. If I was living in Dublin I'd be happy to pay the €70 albeit grossly overpriced but when your coming from Kerry/Cork the Wednesday aspect really kicks in when your working on the Thursday morning. It's either drive (sleep-drive home), fly or take train for another €70 and stay overnight for another €40-€60, might be worth it for the Azzurri but for Cyprus and Glen Whelan, no thanks!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I used to go to LOI games, but I stopped going because I didn't like the negative atmosphere from fans - shouting nasty personal abuse at players - and also because the standard of football seems to be as low as it was 5-10 years ago... If there was progress, then it would be easier to attract fans... but it's not a nice experience to go to a LOI game now... I love football and I go to all the international games...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I find going to LOI games great craic and great fun and I also love going to internationals too. Also I have been off the drink 2 days and my name is Neil.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musicinmouth View Post
    I used to go to LOI games, but I stopped going because I didn't like the negative atmosphere from fans - shouting nasty personal abuse at players - and also because the standard of football seems to be as low as it was 5-10 years ago... If there was progress, then it would be easier to attract fans... but it's not a nice experience to go to a LOI game now... I love football and I go to all the international games...
    There was plenty of folk around me F-ing and blinding on Wednesday night. I doubt it will put anyone off going tho.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musicinmouth View Post
    I used to go to LOI games, but I stopped going because I didn't like the negative atmosphere from fans - shouting nasty personal abuse at players ... but it's not a nice experience to go to a LOI game now... I love football and I go to all the international games...
    Football is tribal and partizan as are it's fans. The game should not be viewed as a sterile prawn sandwich munching experience.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    You must be a big lad if you need that many seats
    One is for me, the other 3 are lined up in a row behind me so I can stand up at the game. Real fans go that extra mile.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    One is for me, the other 3 are lined up in a row behind me so I can stand up at the game. Real fans go that extra mile.
    That reminds me!!

The Davin Stand Wednesday night - Hats off to the group of Pats fans that stood and sang with gusto for the ENTIRETY of the game without a lull. One or two of them must have been at the Red Bull.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxy View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to try and make out the GAA wasn't the best supported sport in this country in terms of attendances. It unquestionably is. Wehn i said there league fixtures are dreadfull, I meant in comparison to the championship matches (which they generally are).

I'll repeat though, the majority of irish sporting events are poorly attended. The events that get great crowds are just that, "events".

The average horse racing day gets crowds of less than 1,000. I've witnessed this a number of times. Big meetings get decent numbers

I'm trying not to make this a football v the rest arguement, as I don't believe it is. Our crowds, relatively speaking, are the worst.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Then Dodge, your point might have been just how many times in the year does the GAA fan get off their backside and attend a live game?
    Do the GAA figures include a 1/2 million who only attend 2 or 3 games p/a?
    One big difference is that club and county are intertwined. The hard core club support is strong enough.
    Any club in the LOI could do with 10k extra spectators who only turn up for the bigger games 2, 3 or 4 times a year. Call those spectators whatever you want but that was the mainstay of the old LOI, the glam games got the punters in, made the event and funded the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I thought the point he was making was that there is no strong tradition of high numbers attending sports on a regular basis here.
    People turn up for the big events only.

Just on the football club semi finals getting 10,000 at Parnell Park. I used to go to the Dublin senior club games a fair bit and you would be lucky to get a couple of hundred people there. All Ireland League in rugby the same story.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    I thought the point he was making was that there is no strong tradition of high numbers attending sports on a regular basis here. People turn up for the big events only.
    That is true for every single sport in this country. For example in the Uk you don't usually see attendances increase 10 times for big events.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    the sporting world in this country doesnt revolve around attending LOI matches. lots of sporting events in this country are very well attended
    man oh man
    Surely it should be, what sport is better than football
    thats the whole point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12