Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irish Strikers

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Irish Strikers

Obviously Doyle and Keane would appear to pick themselves up front at the moment.

But aside from this there doesnt seem to be too much and out of what we do have, what does Trap favour. Initially it would appear he seemed to take a shining to Keogh. Now it seems that both Stokes and Folan impressed in the game last week enough so to warrent a callup. I have heard suggestings that Folan is now third in line and god knows what Trap has seen in training this week from some of the players (stokes is supposed to be the best player in the world in training isnt he???)

Thats not to mention Murphy (who personally I consider a bottler and a very limited player) and Shane Long who seems to score goals when given the chance but I have seen little of to comment, and seems to be struggling to get games ahead of the non-present Noel Hunt. Does this say anything about his future. Is there a player in this current squad who could oust Keane or more likely Doyle over the course of the next campaing or two, or perhaps more importantly act as a capable replacement in the case of long term injury.

Where does Trap rank his strikers and what do you see the pecking order being in the near future??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    However good they are have we ever had this many strikers to choose from even as possibles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    i was thinking about this earlier. God forbid keane and doyle got injured at the same time for a game like italy / bulgaria away. possible replacements duff or andy reid to play off another striker maybe. i think keogh is a better striker than winger anyway. murphy is big but dont know if hes good enough. hard to know.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I get the feeeling Folan is next in line for the Doyle role, ahead of Murphy and Long....I agree with you about the Keane role, Duff and Reid would be the next in line if Robbie ever got injured.....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donalmcdonagh View Post
    I get the feeeling Folan is next in line for the Doyle role, ahead of Murphy and Long....I agree with you about the Keane role, Duff and Reid would be the next in line if Robbie ever got injured.....
    I agree. Trap's comments on Folan last week suggest he is the number 3 choice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    I wouldn't say Folan is number 3, more that he's number 2 behind Doyle for the target man/holding the ball up role, and maybe ahead of Murphy and Keogh?
    Can't say what the order would be behind Keane for the out and out striker role, probably Stokes, then Long
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I Think Andy Reid is competing with Keane and the rest are competing with Doyle...
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    I Think Andy Reid is competing with Keane and the rest are competing with Doyle...

I was afraid to say that earlier but I think your bang on correct. Unless he has to change the system that is the reality of the striker situation. So essentially he has Long, Murphy, Folan, Doyle, Keogh (maybe) for one position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    id add neol hunt to that list aswell, he might overtake long from now on seen as hes taken his place at reading and formed a good partnership with doyle.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    It'll be interesting to see the squad for the Poland friendly..

I think his squads are evolving based on levels of exposure and loyalty, and this time next year we will have a much better squad. I think the like of Keogh and/or long (unless gets going) will be phased out over the next few squads...

I think we forget just how little exposure Trapp has had to our players (not just the squads, I mean the entire selection base). He commented this week on not being aware and being pleasently surprised of some of the players in the B squad (or something to that effect), hence the promoted 5.

I would say if a couple of us here on this board were each given a couple of pages, along with Trapp, and asked to list available Irish players in each position, any one of us would win hands down in terms of Quantity.

I reckon if at a press conference he was asked about St Ledger or Painter he wouldn't have a clue who they are (despite the fact they play in positions we have little or no depth in). I got the impression he didn't know who Rory Delap was during an interview I heard a few weeks ago.

From the B game and the portugal camp we have seen evidence, that he is loyal to those who take the chance when given it, despite the status with their club, media or fans.

Over the next year with the Friendlies in Nov and March I think we'll see some of the players like St Ledger given a chance. And trapp'll retain them if he sees fit.

( a bit of a drift from the strikers I know but it was the presence of Long, Keogh, Murphy, Folan and Stokes in one squad along with Keane and Doyle got me thinking)
    Last edited by dr_peepee; 15/10/2008 at 3:28 PM.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts

I think his squads are evolving based on levels of exposure and loyalty, and this time next year we will have a much better squad. I think the like of Keogh and/or long (unless gets going) will be phased out over the next few squads...

I think we forget just how little exposure Trapp has had to our players (not just the squads, I mean the entire selection base). He commented this week on not being aware and being pleasently surprised of some of the players in the B squad (or something to that effect), hence the promoted 5.

I would say if a couple of us here on this board were each given a couple of pages, along with Trapp, and asked to list available Irish players in each position, any one of us would win hands down in terms of Quantity.

I reckon if at a press conference he was asked about St Ledger or Painter he wouldn't have a clue who they are (despite the fact they play in positions we have little or no depth in). I got the impression he didn't know who Rory Delap was during an interview I heard a few weeks ago.

From the B game and the portugal camp we have seen evidence, that he is loyal to those who take the chance when given it, despite the status with their club, media or fans.

Over the next year with the Friendlies in Nov and March I think we'll see some players given a chance. And trapp'll retain them if he sees fit.

( a bit of a drift from the strikers I know but it was the presence of Long, Keogh, Murphy, Folan and Stokes in one squad along with Keane and Doyle got me thinking)
    keogh deserves his place in the squad, i like him and i think hes here to stay.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    He's OK.... A poor mans Kuyt.

www.thefastleague.com

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's an oxymoron if ever I saw one. How someone can be okay and a poor man's kuyt at the same time is beyond me.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    He's scored for Trap when given the chance against Serbia, and last week against Forest. Can't really ask for more from a striker.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Over the next year with the Friendlies in Nov and March I think we'll see some of the players like St Ledger given a chance. And trapp'll retain them if he sees fit.

Think this is a spot analysis. The worry is who is advising Trapp about the wider playing pool and do they (Givens, Brady) no very much than he does. I suspect they dont because many of the players selected for the B squad seemed to be there because they have some recent Premiership exposure (Folan, Andrews, Treacy). Not sure that they deserve recognition ahead of the likes of McCann, O'Toole or Walters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    He's scored for Trap when given the chance against Serbia, and last week against Forest. Can't really ask for more from a striker.
    Fair point...

Keogh is industrious, can do a job wide and contributes. Keoghs International record is O.K much like Kuyts record in the Champions leage but all in doesn't score enough for his position. Thats the Kuyt comparison (And I like Kuyt, so it's not a dig)

My point is assuming Keane and Doyle a definates, and I believe that Andy Reid is now actually compteting with Keane for a role rather than anyone else. Is there really room for Keogh, Stokes, Folan, Murphy and Long on top of that? ( Also Baring in mind Folan offers something different to anything else we have in terms of physique, if not quality).

I think Keoghs ability to pay wide right is stands to him more than any forward playing comparisons with say Stokes, Long or N Hunt, Murphy. However over the next two friendlies players are going to get chances such as Lawrence and Trapp is not afraid to show loyalty to players who take chances. I think some of Long Murphy and Keogh, regular squad members thus far, are going to be phased out...

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    what evr happened to stephen elliott???? he really drifted off the radar in recent times after arriving on the scene as the next great white hope...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Wolves sold him to Preston earlier this season. Considering Mick McCarthy signed him for Sunderland from Man City as a youngster, and took a chance on him again at Wolves, it says a lot that he was willing to let him go.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stokes off to Sheffield United, I fully expect him to bag alot of goals

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would Stokes and N. Hunt not be backup tO Keane? Long deserves his place but Murphy and Long will fade unless they strt getting regular game time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast