Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Andy Reid & Trapp row???

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Gibson didn't set the world alight it's true. Whelan was the disappointing one in my opinion.

I think Trap has a chance in November to try something else in midfield and I hope that Andy Reid figures in some capacity. With Steven Reid out for 7 months we need to have covered other options. Perhaps even Gibson and Andy Reid, or Andy Reid in one of the wide positions.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Andy Reid can't make the Sunderland team at the moment!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    andy reid came on the last day for sunderland and he was the only one with any bit of creativity on the pitch from both sides. Keane is annoying playing fellas out of position the whole time, anyway he put him on the left wing but reid kept coming into the middle of the pitch(i assume the position he prefers) to look for the ball, when he got on it he did quite well. Its strange I always thought reid to be a more sit back type player, on Saturday he was always in the final third - as though he was playing the game Trap thinks he can only play.....made me wonder did I get him wrong in where he played, or has he moulded into this player or has traps thinking got him playing in that position rather than a preferred sit back midfielder and pick out a pass?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Very unfair on Reid being dropped. He's easily been Sunderland's best player since joining.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Reid always gets dropped when Keane tries to accomadate two forwards...

I still wouldn't play reid in the centre of the current formation but I've thought Reid and Duff done alright on the flanks for Ireland under Kerr. Reid is obvisously different to McGeady and Duff and while I think the symetry the Duff and McGeady offer on the flanks is usefull that's not to say it should be written in stone..

Reids role in Trapps thinking will be confirmed when Robbies Keane is unnavailable..
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Very unfair on Reid being dropped. He's easily been Sunderland's best player since joining.
    So, both his club manager and his international manager don't rate him deserving of a starting place.

I don't think its correct to describe this situation as "unfair"?
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    So, both his club manager and his international manager don't rate him deserving of a starting place.
    As I'll always say Trap didn't play Pirlo in his team. Enough said. He doesn't like that type of player clearly.

Sunderland is a different story. The reason I say it's unfair is because he's clearly been their best player since he joined. I'd usually put "imo" at the end of a statement like that but I really don't think there's any doubt about that. It seems to be away from home that he's not playing recently. Maybe something has to be sacrificed to play Reid, I don't know. But it's still unfair on him imo.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 21/10/2008 at 5:22 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think you mean that it's unfair that a player with Andy Reid's delightful talents don't see the light of day with country and hardly at club level. That his talents are being sacrificed for something cruder but maybe more effective.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    “He’s not mobile enough, and I think Andy Reid needs to be more conscious about picking his knife and fork up. He looks like he’s carrying a bit of timber. He’s got to be absolutely spot on physically. There’s going to be times during the season where he’s going to be as fit as he can be but I think he needs to up it again.”
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    “He’s not mobile enough, and I think Andy Reid needs to be more conscious about picking his knife and fork up. He looks like he’s carrying a bit of timber. He’s got to be absolutely spot on physically. There’s going to be times during the season where he’s going to be as fit as he can be but I think he needs to up it again.”
    He looks like he has had a pie too many (not that I am one to talk). however tests have shown at tottenham he was one of the fittest players at the club.

However he is only being used as a sub by Sunderland.

If he gets a regular game then he has a chance to prove Trap wrong. However I think it is a cas eof him not fitting the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    You could have told us who the quote was from. Anyway, googled it and it's Cascarino. He also says:

"One of our biggest problems last year was that in midfield people just went straight through us, and Andy played in some of those games."

and

"What happened with Trapattoni is I think he looked at a lot of videos of us from the last campaign and has come away thinking we can’t concede the goals like we were conceding on a regular basis. He’s pinpointed certain players and it looks like Andy Reid is one of them, and I think he’s right. It’s not anything personal against Andy, I just think he’s a luxury footballer."

I don't think the opposition midfield were having any extra freedom when Reid played and thought we had the better of midfield for most of them...

Also, in his time at Spurs on the left wing, if anything his best work was being done off the ball. I'm not saying he's a great defender but Cascarino is talking about S.Ireland in that article. No way is Ireland a better defender than Reid imo.

Article:
    http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/stor...snid&cat=sport

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    You could have told us who the quote was from. Anyway, googled it and it's Cascarino. He also says:

"One of our biggest problems last year was that in midfield people just went straight through us, and Andy played in some of those games."

and

"What happened with Trapattoni is I think he looked at a lot of videos of us from the last campaign and has come away thinking we can’t concede the goals like we were conceding on a regular basis. He’s pinpointed certain players and it looks like Andy Reid is one of them, and I think he’s right. It’s not anything personal against Andy, I just think he’s a luxury footballer."

I don't think the opposition midfield were having any extra freedom when Reid played and thought we had the better of midfield for most of them...

Also, in his time at Spurs on the left wing, if anything his best work was being done off the ball. I'm not saying he's a great defender but Cascarino is talking about S.Ireland in that article. No way is Ireland a better defender than Reid imo.Article:
    Ireland wins an unbelievable amount of tackles high up the pitch, I've noticed this a lot in the past few games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    He looks like he has had a pie too many (not that I am one to talk). however tests have shown at tottenham he was one of the fittest players at the club.
    I saw him make his debut for Spurs and if he was fit, then I'm Kate Moss. I've heard about this mysterious fitness test and frankly, I don't believe it. I strongly suspect that this was put about in order to placate the fans, who reckoned his four and a half million pound valuation was avoirdupois, not sterling.

Moreover, whoever actually signed him at the Lane (NOT Martin Jol) was likely covering his ass, as well.

Tbh, I saw most of his home appearances for Spurs and there is no doubt that he is a very talented footballer, easily skillful enough for the Premier League, and better than Andy Dawson, signed from Forest in the same deal.

But it is not coincidence that Spurs sold Reid in August 2006, by which time Jol had taken Spurs to 5th place in the Prem, and so was established enough to get his way. Meanwhile, Jol kept Dawson, whose exemplary attitude has meant that he has improved noticeably as a player.

Further, it may not be coincidence that when Charlton signed him, they were in disarray (it was the time of the Iain Dowie, Les Reed fiasco), so Spurs may have "sold them a pup".

And the fact that a player of his ability cannot get a regular place at Sunderland, nor with the ROI, suggests to me there's something seriously wrong.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    I saw him make his debut for Spurs and if he was fit, then I'm Kate Moss. I've heard about this mysterious fitness test and frankly, I don't believe it. I strongly suspect that this was put about in order to placate the fans, who reckoned his four and a half million pound valuation was avoirdupois, not sterling.

Moreover, whoever actually signed him at the Lane (NOT Martin Jol) was likely covering his ass, as well.

Tbh, I saw most of his home appearances for Spurs and there is no doubt that he is a very talented footballer, easily skillful enough for the Premier League, and better than Andy Dawson, signed from Forest in the same deal.

But it is not coincidence that Spurs sold Reid in August 2006, by which time Jol had taken Spurs to 5th place in the Prem, and so was established enough to get his way. Meanwhile, Jol kept Dawson, whose exemplary attitude has meant that he has improved noticeably as a player.

Further, it may not be coincidence that when Charlton signed him, they were in disarray (it was the time of the Iain Dowie, Les Reed fiasco), so Spurs may have "sold them a pup".

And the fact that a player of his ability cannot get a regular place at Sunderland, nor with the ROI, suggests to me there's something seriously wrong.
    It's an anti-fat bias, when will people realize fat is beautiful? The beautiful game is played by pub teams every weekend.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    when did this term "luxury footballer" come about, is it the latest fad?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Also, in his time at Spurs on the left wing, if anything his best work was being done off the ball. I'm not saying he's a great defender but Cascarino is talking about S.Ireland in that article. No way is Ireland a better defender than Reid imo.

Article:
    Cas is answering a separate question about S Ireland after he has finished talking about Andy Reid.
    It doesn't read to me that Cas is saying Ireland should play in CM, nor does Cas go on to say what type of midfield under Trap could accomadate S Ireland.
    It reads to me as comments made by Cas, in general about S Ireland.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    [quote=eirebhoy;1049570]Also, in his time at Spurs on the left wing, if anything his best work was being done off the ball. I'm not saying he's a great defender but Cascarino is talking about S.Ireland in that article. No way is Ireland a better defender than Reid imo.

Watch Ireland in his next game for City and study how much work he does closing down and tackling. He is way ahead of Reid when it comes to defending. Even Cobh Ramblers midfield players were ghosting past him in the pre-season warm up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    when did this term "luxury footballer" come about, is it the latest fad?!
    No Tony Currie, Frank Worthington, Rodney Marsh, Robin Friday and Duncan McKenzie were all regarded as luxury footballers and all played in the 1970s.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Watch Ireland in his next game for City and study how much work he does closing down and tackling. He is way ahead of Reid when it comes to defending. Even Cobh Ramblers midfield players were ghosting past him in the pre-season warm up.
    Don't agree. I think Reid does at least as much work off the ball and they're both as bad defenders as each other. Actually I'd say Reid is the better of the 2 because Ireland was lost positionally in Cyprus.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 02/11/2008 at 11:40 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Don't agree. I think Reid does at least as much work off the ball and they're both as bad defenders as each other. Actually I'd say Reid is the better of the 2 because Ireland was lost positionally in Cyprus.
    The fact is that under Stan, the whole team was "lost". In Ireland's defence he was 19 and playing alongside Kevin Kilbane in a team that clearly had no game plan whatsoever.....and he did score a goal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast