Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do ye reckon Cook will stay next season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Do ye reckon Cook will stay next season?

With the general financial problems in the league, to me at least, it seems that the playing field for next season will be a bit more level. Drogheda won't be paying huge wages, neither will Cork, we don't know about Bohs or Pats yet. I know that Cook was feeling a bit deflated about not having the means to compete with these clubs earlier in the season, but with all that's happened to us, we're still (rather unbelievably) in with a shout of Europe. His players have put in a huge effort, and the same effort may well bring greater reward next year, due to the inevitable weakening of the teams above us in the current 'natural order'.

So, my question is, do you think Cook will stay?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    No...
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    I don't think he will stay either.

Seems like a sound fella, spoke to some of us after the League Cup game in Sligo.

He has to earn a few a pound like everyone else and they don't look like they will be able to provide much next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    they don't look like they will be able to provide much next year
    But that's the thing - fewer of the top teams will be able to do that either. The landscape of the league has changed a lot since June/July and that, coupled with the spirited performances of the remaining players, has to have a bearing on his decision.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Is there a reason why he'll want to leave?
    Let's face it the only reason Cookie will leave is that he gets a better offer from another club. If he is to go then it's not going to be to another League of Ireland club.
    As has been pointed out, the landscape of the league has changed and it's the same all over. Money makes the world go round and it's the same in the world of football.
    The news from Drogheda is not suprising as will the similar news from Bohs when it eventually arrives. Cork will be relagated come seasons end. With money problems widespread throughout the league I think Sligo Rovers will be one of the most prominent clubs next year. Wants Shams move to Tallaght there's no doubt they will become a force to be reckoned with, as they come with the tag "the Man U of Irish football" they will go on to dominate Irish football as they have sucessfully done in the past. Apart from that I think the league will definitely level itself out and come next season it will be a more competitive league.
    Cookie will think long and hard over his future but I've no doubt he will be at the helm at the Showgrounds next season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clubman
    Wants Shams move to Tallaght there's no doubt they will become a force to be reckoned with, as they come with the tag "the Man U of Irish football" they will go on to dominate Irish football as they have sucessfully done in the past.
    That tag is Roddy's. We are the Liverpool of Irish football, as both clubs haven't won the domestic title in nearly the same time frame.

Dunno if we will go on to dominate Irish football, but we hope to finish above mid-table anyway.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I reckon Cook will stay...

If he does, and financially we get it sorted, next year could have the potential to be a very good season...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I reckon Cook will stay atleast until the end of next season. With our chances of getting into Europe now getting better all that hard work Cook put into building a good squad could pay off, would be great to see him lead Rovers into Europe. And as Red&White Rovers said if were sorted financially, next year could be even better for Rovers.

Does anyone know how long is left on Cookies contract ?
    Coleman for Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Hes the manager than made most of a impression on me this year. Great manager ii must say
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Formerly: wild rover
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Don't think he will stay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    its a shticky one this. he did say earlier in season if we go part time in any way, that he would re-consider his place, but will he get a job anywhere else easily?

he wants a decent budget, cant blame him, but can Rovers afford to match his expectations?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I dont think he will be at the Showgies next season!

Sad but true!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    To lose Cookie would be a major blow to the club.He has been the most honest manager we have had and treated us to the best football played at the showgrounds.If fans believe he may leave then I think they should do all they can to convince him it's vital he stays.Remember when Martin O'Neill was rumoured to be leaving Leicester and all the fans help up plackareds urging him to stay....

Cookie did say at a recent meeting he would not walk out on the club.
    If we had €15,000 - €20,000 per week to offer him for players wages I believe he will stay.he coud have easily walked when he was told cut his playing staff and no one would have blamed him, but he stayed.

Not unrealsitic to suggest that we could be a major contender for the title next year if we hold onto cookie as only Pats seem any way stable.

I mean if we held faz,hughes,murphy and I am sure cookie could line up a decent striker whose to say we would not be further up the table.

Cookie must be kept and we as fans will need to play our part in convincing him too stay and become a Rover legend,thats something money cant buy

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Smile will cook stay ?

as alan kearns says he will stay if he gets a reasonable budget to work within.
    what we need to do now is to start thinking of ways to fundraise to build a war chest (sean connors words). i am presently working in conjunction with frank beirne with regard to the e100 lotto ticket so if any body out there needsone contact me at 087 2388215(michael) most of yee know who i am. we ran this pre season last year and were very successfull and i would be hopeful that people will take up the e100 lotto ticket once again. by the way alan how is your fundraising going with regard to the 1000 x e2 ? great idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Some optimistic talk from Sligo fans about next season!? I thought the clubs financials were in bad shape but with 100K+ defecit for this season alone?

In fairness Cook has done a good job, I think there might be a bit of managerial merry go-round this season with Drogs & Cork probably changing, maybe Pats, maybe Rover, will be an interesting off season and I am sure some clubs would look at the good job he has done this season at Sligo under difficult circumstances.

bhs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    by the way alan how is your fundraising going with regard to the 1000 x e2 ? great idea
    Yes, has there been any progress on this? It is a great idea and it should take off.

I am sure some clubs would look at the good job he has done this season at Sligo under difficult circumstances
    I think there are still some question marks about him tactically. For example, he had 3 strikers on the bench last Saturday, needed a goal, but didn't bring any of them on until it was too late.
    No question that he gets the best out of whatever players he has, though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Lads just to keep you up to date with the 1000 x €2 per week idea (also hope to get 100 busienss with minimum of €5 per week).I am doing up some flyers to distribute at the Shams game and the website which will be live shortly (apologies for delay)will carry details fo the scheme.What we will need is help in locations around Sligo town and county.What we plan is something along the "people in need theme".Accross the town/county we would like to have volunteers ,local to their area sitting in prominent outlets(shopping centres, streets etc.) wherby local fans can sign up for the scheme.When you know someone in your own area who may be collecting your more inclined to support them than a stranger.If we can get local radio to drop in to various locations say every hour we can keep a live tally of whats happening accross the county until we reach the 1000 mark.
    So we will be looking for volunteers to do this in possibly the Saturday after the Shams game.Will be in touch about locations....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I hope he stays, he's got ye very organised and playing good football too. He enjoys a bit of banter with the fans and comes across as a sound lad in his MNS interviews. It's good for the league to have characters like him involved.
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Scully gone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Well Red

Paul,
    Not sure if you read all the stuff going through here but if you do you will see that our one wish is that you are with us next season. Considering all the club has been through and you in particular, we have done better than anyone could have expected both on and off the pitch. Paul I remember early in the season at Drogheda you came out before the teams came back at half time and you had a chat with the Drogs supporters and that was massive. You have continued in that vein, never slagging the opposition and even could manage to see the funny point when we had been robbed. With the situation as it is in the league, Sligo could be a force next year but in order to do that we need you to be there.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast