Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-eircom League sides

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts

Non-eircom League sides

During the winter season, we appear to have a few teams (and associate clubs) competing in the Leinster Senior League and cup competitions.

The biggest news during the summer was our LSL Sun major side was promoted to the bottom division at Intermediate level. Senior 1B
    http://www.lsl.ie/viewResults-0809a.aspx
    I still don't know why we got promoted in third place behind Postal Utd. and Glenville FC. However, we've excepted the challenge. Also, Postal Utd. tore up the Major Division last year and look to be going great this year. Hopefully it is a sign that consolidation at least is within our gasp as it should be a big step.
    (We may be starting earlier than usually to facilitate our cup campaigns)
    We appear to have been given permission to delay or start to our league season. We started with a loss to Postal and a close scoreline defeat against Ballyfermot Utd.

Sat Major 1B
    They havn't started their league season yet.
    http://www.lsl.ie/viewResults-0809a.aspx

Cup Competitions;
    Intermediate Cup.
    UCD received a bye for the 1st round and will wait on the draw for the second.
    Pegaus beat Garda FC 4-0 at home last weekend and Mount Merrion went through aswell.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Senior 1B Intermediate side
    Moore Cup 2nd rd.

UCD beat Parkvilla FC of Navan 1-0 at the weekend.
    http://www.lsl.ie/showfixturescaug27.aspx?cupid=4
    It puts them into the last 8. (Postal Utd. and St. Patricks CYFC appear to have byes into the quarters already.)

Moore Cup is the cup competition for the bottom two divisions in Leinster so a good indicator odf how they are doing against similar strenght sides.

I think the team need all the match pratice they can get as they play in the 2nd round of the Intermediate Cup next weekend against a strong looking Tymon Celtic. UCD received a bye in the first round.
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Heard a rumour from people who should know at the 'A' Championship game that UCD won their Intermediate Cup 2nd Rd. game 3-1 against a relatively strong Tymon Celtic.
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    The rumours are true. O'Connor (2) and Whelan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    We play the third rd. of FAI Umbro Intermediate Cup next Friday against Drumcondra who are doing well in the Division above UCD. Drums are starting to hit form and are in third place after alternating win/draws for the past 6 weeks.

Drumcondra AFC : UCD
    Morton Stadium, Santry.
    Friday Dec. 05th, 19:45.
    (I understand no extra time.)

I think the players would appreciate it if there was a vocal support from UCD there. It's a credit to the team that the put themselves into the position they have, including regular promotions. This is a grand old Stadium in Dublin's Sports history and UCD can be a part of it.
    UCD AFC last played there versus shamrock rovers, at least one 0-0 took place.

(To appreciate how big the game is. Pegasus FC are eligible for this competition every year and they occasionally get this far.)

The league will close down in mid- December so this is the biggest game for them before the New Year.
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Drums AFC 0:2 UCD (Paul O'Connor 2)

This was an even enough game. UCD got a goal from a well worked move and Paul O'Connor finished with a shot from the edge of the box on 30 minutes. Second goal was a break-away against the run of play and O'Connor's shot went in off the under-side of the crossbar.

John Grace, 43 years old, Ex Limerick (City?) 'keeper was in good form. One moment, he got in ahead on the on-rushing striker and toe poked the ball away. Followed after the ball and after it had crossed the touchline kicked the ball well away. He was returning to goal and UCD took a quick free-kick with Grace out of position. The ball eventually landed in Grace's arms, "Who gave him the ball?" "Who gave him the ball?".

Always liked the Billy Morton Stadium, that's going to continue. I understand that only four clubs from the Intermediate League are going to qualify for the FAI Cup, in case anyone may be wondering.
    UCD are now in the last sixteen, round four.

They should have one more league game next weekend before the Christmas break. And may start again first week in January.
    Evening Herald, Mondays give good cover to the LSL. And should give the following weeks fixtures, time and venue too. Aertel pg 236 for fixtures too.
    Irish Times isn't the best paper of record for this.
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Intermediates

I played a few gamrs for that side back in the nineties, - good to see them doing well. What will happen if they qualify for the FAI Senior cup? surely UCD will not be permitted to have two sides in the competition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I was in Morton Stadium on Friday night and have to say I was really impressed by UCD. They passed the ball really well and were the better team against a well fancied Drums team. The no 7 was really impressive and was a danger every time he got the ball. Just wondering if any of these lads on on soccer scholarships because I'm sure some could easily play at a higher level than intermediate.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    The Inters would be our third team (League team, A Team, Inters, Inters eile and Freshers/U20s team). It's certainly possible for players to come from the Inters up to the first team, but I wouldn't have thought too many would do so. New scholarship players with an eye on the first team would generally go straight into the reserves, if not the starting XI.

A couple of our players (Ronan Finn in particular) who are in UCD often line out for some of the collegiate sides during the off season, but I don't think they'd have played for the Inters.

Amazing result though when you consider I played half an hour for that team about ten years ago!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    I was in Morton Stadium on Friday night and have to say I was really impressed by UCD. They passed the ball really well and were the better team against a well fancied Drums team. The no 7 was really impressive and was a danger every time he got the ball. Just wondering if any of these lads on on soccer scholarships because I'm sure some could easily play at a higher level than intermediate.
    That's very nice of you drummerboy. Most of our attacks did come from the right wing. But Drumcondra had a spell in the second half where they could have carved out an equaliser. Also, Gary Howlett the Drums manager made some early (second half) substitutions so alot of players were suffereing by the end. But Drums still kept it going til the end.

Of interest to UCD fans, one of the Drums player's is the son of Derek Swan. But he was suspended for this game so another 'swaninho' didn't play against UCD.
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Was there a lad playing for Drumcondra by the name of Paul McNally?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpoJoyce View Post
    I understand that only four clubs from the Intermediate League are going to qualify for the FAI Cup, in case anyone may be wondering.
    UCD are now in the last sixteen, round four.
    Maccer has confirmed that we are now in the First Round proper of the FAI Cup. This was expanded last year, with the LoI sides now starting in round 3. Your source (little Sherro, I believe) was probably quoting the old criterion?

A rather sensational achievement, I think it has to be said!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Maccer has confirmed that we are now in the First Round proper of the FAI Cup. This was expanded last year, with the LoI sides now starting in round 3. Your source (little Sherro, I believe) was probably quoting the old criterion?

A rather sensational achievement, I think it has to be said!
    If that is the case then I misunderstood my source.
    We were discussing the eircom/League of Ireland clubs entry into the FAI cup and both the first and third rounds. Also it was mentioned that some LSL clubs had already qualified, Bangor Celtic was mentioned. I don't know how they were already eligible.
    Maybe he meant two rounds more, UCD may meet UCD.

No on this occasion I get the bullet. Shoot the messenger.

After Edit:
    You keep writing 'sensational' 'amazing' 'excellent'. Is Anto Murphy coming back? or are you hinting at our new shirt sponsor? I'll keep quiet.
    Last edited by HarpoJoyce; 08/12/2008 at 4:42 PM.
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    The last 16 of the Intermediate Cup and last 4 of the Junior Cup used to qualify for the 1st round of the FAI Senior Cup, they'd play the first round and the 10 winners would join the 22 League of Ireland teams in the second round.

Last year, as far as I can see from the league website four of the intermediate & junior teams played in the first round with the two winners, the rest of the intermediate & junior teams and Tullamore and Salthill from the A Championship in the second round and the competition went on like previous years with round numbers being one higher.

I don't know how the four teams were chosen to be in the first round, probably just a draw. If this is the same procedure for next season, just one win could have the team up against LOI opposition.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Was there a lad playing for Drumcondra by the name of Paul McNally?
    No, Paul used to play with Drums 2nds many years ago.

Ronan Finn's two brothers played for Drums for many years. Ronan trained with us on many occasions when he was a schoolboy and had a nice little business going cleaning boots for his brothers colleagues. A friend of his plays and Ronan can be seen at Drums games still. Delighted with his progress with UCD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Ronan's old man has mentioned a few times that his two brothers played against UCD in the cup a few years back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    Ronan's old man has mentioned a few times that his two brothers played against UCD in the cup a few years back.
    Hmmm. Yes indeed, unfortunately Drums lost 5-0 in a FAI 3rd tie. When the qualified for the 3rd round we were drawn away to the winners of the UCD V COrk City tie. We thought we were in for a financial bonanza but UCD won

Having said that it was a good experience for our lads to play against a LOI team, especially as Pete Mahon is an ex Drums player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Intermediate side Sunday Senior 1B have had a good January in the League winning two and drawing one ( 2-2 away to Grenville, 6-0 away against CIE Ranch and this weekend 5-2 home to Sacred Heart.) The results have moved UCD up to the chasing pack challenging for the three promotion spots. There's at least eight clubs going for this, which means every wek there's a six-pointer or two. Also, the fixture list will play a part as UCD have completed two league games against three other clubs ( Loughshinny 6pts, CIE Ranch 4pts and Sacred Heart 4pts). While they still have to play their first League game against Tymon Celtic, Valeview Shankill, Kilnamanagh and Fairview CYM.
    The team now play in two different Cup over the next two weeks.
    Moore Cup quarter finals at home against Leixlip Utd.
    14:00 at Belfield, either Forster's Avenue or in front of the Sports Centre.

The following week (Saturday 31 but more likely Sunday Feb. 1) in the fourth Round of the Intermediate Cup down at Ringmahon Park in Cork City against Ringmahon Rangers, ko 14:00.

I know some of you will want to make the trip down.

The Saturday side's results in SAT Major 1B isn't gret but they are still challenging for promotion. They play a derby match next saturday 14:00 against Glenmore Dundrum at Moreen Park, Moreen Estate.

Pegasus is in the quaters of the ESB metropolitan Cup
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Saturday major1B side beat Glenmore Dundrum today 2-1, with goals from Phillip Byrne and Dean Teeth(sp?). It was a derby in many respects including hard challenges from Glenmore.

Upcoming Cup Matches
    George Moore Cup quarter finals
    UCD : Leixlip Utd
    Sunday (Senior 1B) 25/01/09 Forster Avenue 11:00am

University & Colleges Intermediate Cup quarter finals
    Wednesday 28/01/2009
    UCD v. Queens University
    Forsters Avenue (14:00 or 14:30 ko)

FAI Intermediate Cup Round 4 (last 16)
    Saturday 31.01.2009
    Ringmahon Rangers v. UCD
    Ringmahon Park, Cork city. (14:00 or 14:30 ko. TBC)

This last fixture is one of the toughest matches the Sunday team will face so far this year. Rangers are top of the second tier in MSL football and look good for promotion. UCD are on good goal-scoring form and will wantthatto continue this weekend and next.
    As many UCD fans as possible going down will be welcomed. They have already made history in the College by qualifying for next seasons FAI Cup 1st round.

Google map of Ringmahon Road.
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...2&source=embed

Link to Directions
    http://www.blarneyunited.com/How_To_Get_There.htm
    ".. Ringmahon Rangers Rangers Park

Coming from Regional Hospital Wilton, go down Sarsfield Road onto the link road. Go through the airport roundabout. head for Douglas. Ignore the 2 exits for Douglas head towards the Lee Tunnel. Before you come to the tunnel take the exit for Mahon. Take a left at the T junction at the top of the slip road and drive past the factories, (Sifco, Macom, etc ). You'll come to a T Junction where you turn right. Go about 500 yards past the cemetery, to the end of this road. Turn left and the pitch is on the right.

For me that makes it south of the Blackrock suburb on the Ringmahon road, East side near the coast.
    Last edited by HarpoJoyce; 24/01/2009 at 4:08 PM.
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    http://www.thirdlevelfootball.ie/cfa...v-semi-finals/

University College Dublin V Queens University Belfast
    Belfield Campus, Dublin
    Wednesday 28th January @ 14.30hrs

UCD overwhelmed Queens University Belfast today 6-0 with goals from David McMillan (2), Eoin Roche, Dwayne Wilson, Sean Geoghegan (Pictured) and the best goal of the day a cheeky back flick from Peter McMahon.

The open draw for semi finals will take place on Thursday afternoon.

Was talking to someone out at the game this afternoon, Dave McMillan showing some promise which is a good sign for the season coming. The lads on new scholarships did well too apparently.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast