Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTE Prime time last night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

RTE Prime time last night

RTE did a programme on sectarianism in football last night mainly on the Old Firm. I didn't get to see it.

Does anyone have a tape I could borrow or get? My video has gone on the blink and failed to tape it for me.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Wouldn't bother tbh, only on for a short time...

Nothing new - Celtic and Rangers fans are bigots (whatever excuses they try to make), they support the respective clubs for their "politicals" they represent, the clubs aren't very active at trying to deal with sectarians plus some muppets in the sub saying that "Celtic are an Irish club that happen to play in Scotland" (to give Primetime the excuse to show it)....

Interesting to hear that in 2(?) years there have been no racist killings in Scotland, but in the same period there had been 7 sectarian killings, mainly on auld firm weekends.....

Best bit was a Scottish Journalist saying how disappointing it was to see the booing of Rangers players at an Ireland match and how it shouldn't be brought into it. Also the "Nil by mouth" rep saying that the booing is sectarian.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think that it is the Dublin supporters of Celtic who are into the sectarianism most of all. The Celtic supporters in Ireland who come from the traditional Celtic supporting areas like Co Donegal and Co Mayo aren't as bad. These were the parts of Ireland where the "tatie-howkers" migrated to Scotland for seasonal work and people support Celtic there more for the football than the political reasons.

It's also interesting there was no mention of Hibernian the original Irish Catholic immigrant football club in Scotland on Prime Time last night. Hibs would be a better choice for Irish people because they are more integated with the majority Protestant population.
    Last edited by Paddy Ramone; 08/10/2003 at 5:08 PM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Originally posted by Paddy Ramone
    It's also interesting there was no mention of Hibernian the original Irish Catholic immigrant football club in Scotland on Prime Time last night. Hibs would be a better choice for Irish people becuse they are more integated with the majority Protestant population.
    Maybe it's because Hibs have attempted to tackle sectarianism, whereas Celtic/Rangers attempt to cash in on sectarianism....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    apparently it was billed as a documentary on sectarianism in Irish football.

Looks like I didn't miss much.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    well if you wish to gatch up you can stream it here...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/1007/primetime.html

Is racism in sport ineradicable?

Ken O'Shea examines one of the most deep rooted intercommunal sports divides - Celtic & Rangers, in Glasgow?
    Reporter: "Gordan, can we have a quick word?"
    Strachan:"Velocity"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Caught a few mins at the end with some scottish journo saying sectarianism in ireland with respect Celtic has grown now that Celtic more accessable to those people witht Sky Sports.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Thought it was pretty good myself. There was one moment which typified your stereotype Celtic-loving bigot though. They asked
    this fella in some bar in Dublin
    Interviewer: "Do you hate Rangers fans?"
    "Celt": "Yeah"
    I: "So do you hate protestants?"
    C.: " I don't mind them as long as they keep to themselves!"
    I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry Also, they interviewed that gobsh!te from ok2boo.com who was an utter worm. He kept talking anti-rangers propaganda every time he was asked a question about Celtic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Éanna
    Also, they interviewed that gobsh!te from ok2boo.com who was an utter worm. He kept talking anti-rangers propaganda every time he was asked a question about Celtic
    Which proves the point I've made since the booing started a few years back. Anyone engaging in it is a complete b***ox!!! Personally, I couldn't give a s***e about the political or religious sides to it. If someone wants to follow Celtic fine by me, if someone wants to follow Rangers fine by me also.
    Munster 33-6 Gloucester
    Aint revenge sweet?!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Éanna
    Thought it was pretty good myself. There was one moment which typified your stereotype Celtic-loving bigot though. They asked
    this fella in some bar in Dublin
    Interviewer: "Do you hate Rangers fans?"
    "Celt": "Yeah"
    I: "So do you hate protestants?"
    C.: " I don't mind them as long as they keep to themselves!"
    I wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry Also, they interviewed that gobsh!te from ok2boo.com who was an utter worm. He kept talking anti-rangers propaganda every time he was asked a question about Celtic
    that guy was a muppet
    neither set of supporters did themselves any favours

you want to follow an Irish club? - there's plenty to choose from in Ireland

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Its a free country, and people can follow who they like, but these guys were just embarassing themselves on camera and seemed totally oblivious to it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I've seen these type of documentaries before (one called Football, Faith and Flutes, was screened a few years ago).

Lets face it, the supporters they pick are the eejits of this world,otherwise there would be no point in making the programme. 'sensationalism' I think its called.

I didn't see the programme so can't comment, but generally these programmes are poorly researched, tabloid equivalent tv, pick the biggest eejits you can find from both sides and present them as the norm.

No doubt there are sectarian bigots on both sides, but you would have to be a numpty to take this view as being the normal situation.

I'm a Celtic fan, originally began to support Celtic because of their strong Irish roots and traditions, I don't boo Rangers players at Lansdowne and I aphor Racism/Sectarianism.

You can't help but take it personally, when posters on this forum quote ******, tarring us all with the same brush.

Jnr
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    just visited the ok2boo site.
    thought this comment was quite funny in the message board section

"Last year Rangers played Leeds in a friendly at Ibrox and Gary Kelly was constantly booed and jeered by Rangers fans. This was simply because he is an Irish international, because he represents Ireland and Irishness. The treatment of him WAS racist, so to boo representatives of this racist club is an anti-racist act. Long may it continue."

Lionel Hutz
    Originally posted by Macy

Interesting to hear that in 2(?) years there have been no racist killings in Scotland, but in the same period there had been 7 sectarian killings, mainly on auld firm weekends.....
    There was a high profile racist murder earlier in the year on an estate in Glasgow that caused alot of tension in the city, think it was called the "red cow estate"? but Im open to correction on that one!

To the best of my knowledge all the secterian murders in Scotland in recent years have been Celtic fans!
    Something which seems to have spread to the six counties where a number of people have been murdered for wearing Celtic tops!

Yet more interesting facts!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    ah the good old "if they do it to us then its ok for us to do it" arguement...

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There was a Dublin-born Protestant Rangers player Alec Stevenson who played for both Ireland teams back in the 1930's.

Would a Rangers player be accepted nowadays in the green shirt of Ireland?

Does anyone know if an Irish Catholic has ever played for Rangers?

Lionel Hutz
    Originally posted by pete
    ah the good old "if they do it to us then its ok for us to do it" arguement...

You can roll your eyes all you want pal but if your gonna have facts I see no reason not to have the full facts?

I look forward to your response........

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Lionel Hutz
    There was a high profile racist murder earlier in the year on an estate in Glasgow that caused alot of tension in the city, think it was called the "red cow estate"? but Im open to correction on that one!

To the best of my knowledge all the secterian murders in Scotland in recent years have been Celtic fans!
    Something which seems to have spread to the six counties where a number of people have been murdered for wearing Celtic tops!

Yet more interesting facts!
    I think that murder was in the Sighthill area of Glasgow.

I think the spread of violence has been, er, the other way round. Thousands of people have been murdered in NI simply for being nationalists or unionists. I don't think it's wise to draw too many conclusions from a much smaller number of incidents in Scotland, despicable though they obviously are.
    They're red, they're black
    The hatchetmen are back.

We'll support you evermore
    Though you never score...

Lionel Hutz
    Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
    I think that murder was in the Sighthill area of Glasgow.

I think the spread of violence has been, er, the other way round. Thousands of people have been murdered in NI simply for being nationalists or unionists. I don't think it's wise to draw too many conclusions from a much smaller number of incidents in Scotland, despicable though they obviously are.
    Agreed!
    However my point was that it is one way traffic (sectarian murders in Scotland) something which the program makers didnt clarify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Originally posted by Paddy Ramone
    There was a Dublin-born Protestant Rangers player Alec Stevenson who played for both Ireland teams back in the 1930's.

Would a Rangers player be accepted nowadays in the green shirt of Ireland?

Does anyone know if an Irish Catholic has ever played for Rangers?
    Plenty of players played for both Irelands before 1950. It was quite common.

3 southerners have played for Rangers - Alex Craig from Galway,
    James Lowry McAuley from Portarlington and Alex Stevenson as you said from Dublin. I don't know any of their religions.

I'd love to see an Irish player play for Rangers. It might shut up some of the bigots although if some of the muppets booed one of our own platyers I'd feel like throwing them off the stand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast