Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: British Clubs in Cash Crisis

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs up British Clubs in Cash Crisis

UEFA are threatening to withdraw licenses from British clubs who have massive debts. English clubs alone have debts of €5 billion.

About time too, I think it shows how small the crisis with Irish clubs is in relation to big British clubs.

West Ham, Everton, Sunderland and Portsmouth are in serious trouble. The only thing that is keeping these clubs afloat are sugar daddies.

In Wh case the sugar daddy's bank in iceland went bust and in Sunderland's case, their sugar daddy's are Irish Property developers ( ).

Its only a matter of time before some of these clubs start folding which will only be good for both world football and Irish football.

Paying players too much money is bad for football (are you listening Bohs and Cork....and Harps)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7659077.stm
    Last edited by finnpark; 08/10/2008 at 1:12 PM.
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    FFS what is that doing here on this forum? Get a life and stop being so bitter. There is a world football forum further down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Could we dare to dream for a level playing field ...... surely that is an absurd thought? Delighted, cant wait for it to happen. UEFA will bottle it though, something on this scale they are bound to mess up.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    iirc it'd be pointless - as the English FA do not operate a licensing system as we do here
    Kom Igen, FCK...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    iirc it'd be pointless - as the English FA do not operate a licensing system as we do here
    Almost certain they do. All UEFA countries must have their own club licensing system. Obviously the details are completely different and in Premiership terms the groudns etc aren't an issue so it doesn't merit mention in press
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    UEFA kick Manchester United and Arsenal out of Europe? Both clubs with massive debts. Don't see it happening.

Also clubs having sugar daddies isn't a UK only issue - Italy would have similar situations, and also Madrid have at various times been in massive debt (wasn't there a dodgy land deal with the local government to clear the debt a few years back?).

btw I thought Sunderland have a new Yank majority shareholder?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Chelsea and Liverpool also have significant debts. If they do introduce something like this I can't see it being stringent enough to affect any of the big boys. Madrid sold their training ground to the government and then leased it back from them a few years ago (for a nominal sumk I'm sure) to pay off their debts.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I know for a fact that the Premiership has licencing system, as my team 'across the water' had to upgrade floodlighting on the offchance they got promoted from the Championship some seasons ago, there was a minimum lux requirement for the Premiership. Oddly enough the fact that the stadium is made from Meccano and needs a dispensation from the Football League for a wrong sized pitch didn't matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Chelsea and Liverpool also have significant debts. If they do introduce something like this I can't see it being stringent enough to affect any of the big boys. Madrid sold their training ground to the government and then leased it back from them a few years ago (for a nominal sumk I'm sure) to pay off their debts.

They recieved twice what it was worth from the Spanish Government. Perez? Spanish Government go figure? Then bought a small town which is only 1/5 developed for less than a snip.

This thread is disgusting and just another way for disgruntled League of Ireland clubs fans to vent their fury and frustration at never being what they want to be.
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    This thread is disgusting and just another way for disgruntled League of Ireland clubs fans to vent their fury and frustration at never being what they want to be.
    HOw so? Seems to be a few people disagreeing. Most of them LOI fans
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Disgusting? Disgruntled?

The LOI has got so much stick from know it all British football supporters over the Shels issue and all the financial woes over the past few year or so.

Never being what they want to be?

What do you want to be? You are the enigma not LOI fans.
    We know what we are.

I can't speak for all clubs, but all we at Derry City want to do is serve the community in a sporting sense. If we can represent with domestic success then so be it. If we make Europe, we represent our country and our league. That's what we want to be. You understand that concept?
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    Disgusting? Disgruntled?

The LOI has got so much stick from know it all British football supporters over the Shels issue and all the financial woes over the past few year or so.

How did these financial issues come about? Yes we all feel sorry for the clubs who suffer the players, the staff and the fans. But that aint no reason for anyone to wish the English clubs go bust. They have players, staff and supporters too you know.

Never being what they want to be?
    So you don't want your club to be the best?

What do you want to be? You are the enigma not LOI fans.
    We know what we are.
    Then you know for the best part most Eircom League Fans are just bitter people who wish English clubs go out of business for alot more than purely football reasons....

I can't speak for all clubs, but all we at Derry City want to do is serve the community in a sporting sense. If we can represent with domestic success then so be it. If we make Europe, we represent our country and our league. That's what we want to be. You understand that concept?
    Then serve the community that's fantastic, more power to you. We would love nothing more than to see Irish clubs do well at home and in Europe? (But as we have seen with shels, Cork etc. don't over spend doing it). What nobody wants is fans from Irish clubs bashing their English rivals who's coaches and managers have helped to make this countries players be the best they can be.
    "Joe Jordan is off to watch Young Boys tomorrow" Ian Darke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Then you know for the best part most Eircom League Fans are just bitter people who wish English clubs go out of business for alot more than purely football reasons...
    Evidence of this please? Two people have posted in that way on this thread. Any others?

Or are you just generalising again?
    ---

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Then you know for the best part most Eircom League Fans are just bitter people who wish English clubs go out of business for alot more than purely football reasons....
    Most League of Ireland fans I know follow English football as well (including myself), so could you please back up that statement with some stats, from the real world not basing it on internet postings.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    How did these financial issues come about? Yes we all feel sorry for the clubs who suffer the players, the staff and the fans. But that aint no reason for anyone to wish the English clubs go bust. They have players, staff and supporters too you know.
    Overspending of course... everyone knows that. Every English club in the top league are in debt. Wouldn't wish it on the smaller leagues but for the sky run league, hell yes go for bust I say. There wasn't much sympathy for $hel$ at the time from my fellow LOI supporters.

So you don't want your club to be the best?
    Hey, we've been there. I'd rather dodge relegation every year than go broke.

I love sport, but I don't get the love in with England. I fail to cope with my prejudices. But lets not go there, I have my reasons, others have theirs.

Then serve the community that's fantastic, more power to you. We would love nothing more than to see Irish clubs do well at home and in Europe? (But as we have seen with shels, Cork etc. don't over spend doing it). What nobody wants is fans from Irish clubs bashing their English rivals who's coaches and managers have helped to make this countries players be the best they can be.
    Fair play to them.

Lets become little Britain then. Can we not do things for ourselves. All hail the Great Empire. We might as well give up. It would be a very sad day for me just to accept that mentality.

All I hope is that one day we can make make our youth the best players that can be? If that has to be at the expense of English football, then so be it.

My last post on the matter
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Britain has ceased the assets of Icelandic companies in British banks. I wonder what this will mean for West Ham, probably nothing in the short term

I think we are on the verge of World War 3
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    Britain has ceased the assets of Icelandic companies in British banks. I wonder what this will mean for West Ham, probably nothing in the short term

I think we are on the verge of World War 3
    West Ham to join Cork and Drogs in examinership

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/spor...ticle43173.ece

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    When the dust settles, Arsene Wenger and Arsenal will proudly stand over the rubble and say, "Who's questioning my transfer policy now?"