162 Posts
    Paddy McCourt in Derry.

NOOOOOOO I DIDN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Gussie Campbell played in Germany. Micky Walsh played in Portugal. I will be amazed if Given leaves Newcastle for anyone other than Man City. And I would mortgage my bank owned property that Given will not be moving to Serie A.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    It was retribution for Cascarino's penalty in Genoa. How that went in I'll never know.
    Sylv (?) Lung who was the goalkeeper for Romania that day, his son is now with FC Cluj..............bit of a useless fact for ye all there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    from today's Manchester Evening News: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ps_wanted_list
    The manager (Hughes) is keen to relieve the pressure off the talented 21-year-old who is still to reach the 50-game mark in the Premier League and at the same time provide a mentor for him by signing Shay Given from Newcastle.

The Blues dipped their toe in the water with what the Magpies considered a derisory offer, and were told to re-start their bidding at more than £10m.

If there is no movement on Given in the coming days then Hughes may again look to Chelsea and Claudio Cudicini.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I cannot believe Man City tried to get Given for 3 million to begin with (bid at weekend).......10 million is a bit more like it. If Given does go then Newcastle are going to struggle big time.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Sylv (?) Lung
    Played for University Craiova (sp?) at Milltown around 1983, in a UEFA Cup game against Shamrock Rovers. Transpotter geek himself here recognised the name as soon as the teams were announced in Genoa. Little did I know at Miltown that he'd play a key role in one of the greatest days of my life!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    If I was Shay I would not be in a hurry to sign up to play in front of that defence at city at the moment.
    It looks like Micah Richards signed a good contract at city and retired from serious football at the same time.If Shay goes their I hope city sign 1or2 decent defenders and 1or2 defensive midfielders

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Does anybody else think that Shay himself has to mostly account for his current situation..

I mean he's a top and professional and all, but he kept committing to long term contracts knowing it would inflate his transfer value and put off prospective buyers.

He's better than the majority, if not all, the keepers at the top 4, but not by as much to warrant the outlay that Newcastle want.

Just my opinion.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Does anybody else think that Shay himself has to mostly account for his current situation..

I mean he's a top and professional and all, but he kept committing to long term contracts knowing it would inflate his transfer value and put off prospective buyers.

He's better than the majority, if not all, the keepers at the top 4, but not by as much to warrant the outlay that Newcastle want.

Just my opinion.
    I think he was putting up with the manager merry go 'round, but now the ownership debacle has really pushed him over the edge.

I think his ideal situation is to win things with Newcastle, and his signing of long-term contracts proves that, but things get worse literally every week at that club.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If the loss to Hull in the Cup wasn't the final straw, today's 3-0 to Blackburn must put paid to Shay staying in Toon Town.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Man City upped their bid to 8 million, according to the Sun (yeah, I know)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Accordng to some newspapers the Given deal to Man City is almost complete, something like 10 million.

Here's The Star's version:
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/...ay-on-his-way/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    Accordng to some newspapers the Given deal to Man City is almost complete, something like 10 million.

Here's The Star's version:
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/...ay-on-his-way/
    Some nice money for my 6th October prediction either way!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ed/7856463.stm

Looks like its going to happen, Given wants to go, City Want him and Newcastle are giving permission to talk!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Shay didnt travel with the Newcastle squad tonight... do we think Man City is a good move for him?
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    He's actually got a chance at breaking into the Top 4 (although a small one) as opposed to none with Newcastle.

Shay has been a Top-4 keeper so it's not as if he hasn't proved himself. It's a long while ago now but Newcastle finished in the Top 4 twice this decade (2002 and 2003) but the managerial rot set in when Bobby Robson was shafted after a couple of games in August 2004 (after finishing 5th the previous season). Since then Shay's had to put up with disasters like Souness, Roeder, Allardyce etc. and it seems that Mike Ashley's ownership has been the final straw.

I accept he won't get back in the Top-4 with the Toon so he is absolutely right to move on. City is a good opportunity for him to earn some serious money and the Dubai wall of cash will eventually push them up the table (maybe next season). Last time I looked Arsenal weren't a Top-4 team either!
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Just going back to the earlier pages on this thread where people were drawing up lists of top keepers in UK and Howard was mentioned by a few, I have to say I think that Howard has reverted to type again recently - error against Liverpool (as well as fine saves) and he really should have stopped Van Persie's goal last night. It's a fine line but I think Howard has far too many "he should /could have saved that" moments in Everton's big games.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    I'd obviously rather a stable top club like Arsenal but in choice between Newcastle and Man City, I'd take Man City by a mile. It's not a dream move but it is a positive move.

Positives.

- He'll be on an ambitious team on the up rather than one on a downward spiral
    - He'll get to work directly with Richard Dunne which will improve their understanding at Ireland
    - Another Irish player surrounding him will do no harm whatsoever for Stephen Ireland's prospects of returning.
    - He'll become more high profile being City's #1
    - He's actually got a chance at breaking into the Top 4 (although a small one) as opposed to none with Newcastle.
    From an Irish point of view and that's all I am worried about, it makes no difference or could possibly have a negative impact. He has been playing out of his skin for us for years. I don't see him getting any better. He was well settled at Newcastle. A move could unsettle him like Robbie. That's all that would worry me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    Some nice money for my 6th October prediction either way!
    Well if you keep predicting that every Irish player is going to move (e.g Keane to Celtic), you're bound to get one right sooner or later
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Given will be announced as Man City keeper tomorrow at 11am.

As first announced exclusively on foot.ie on 6th October !

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast