Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Given to Go?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Telegraph still seems to think Given to Arsenal is on the cards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    Couldn't agree more with you.Cech is the most overated keeper around, and that bloody skull cap?? ok, he was badly injured but I think he's a bit of an attention seeker with it.
    Attention seeking has nothing to do with it, he was ordered by the clubs doctors to wear the skull cap while playing.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Attention seeking has nothing to do with it, he was ordered by the clubs doctors to wear the skull cap while playing.
    I think he has to wear it for the rest of his career too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    There is a player in the MLS who wears the same thing...some people just have fragile heads after those kind of injuries, and simply can't risk playing without protection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Talking

thats me corrected!! sorry...I still don't like him though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I read this thread title and was delighted thinking it was about Don Givens and his trail of destruction were finally coming to an end but no ..... out plight still continues
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    As good a keeper as he is I'm amazed how Cech constantly avoids any criticism. He made some horrendous blunders last year. Certainly far worse than anything I've ever seen Reina do but he seems to get off scot free.

Couldn't agree more with you.Cech is the most overated keeper around, and that bloody skull cap?? ok, he was badly injured but I think he's a bit of an attention seeker with it. I'm no great fan of Stephen Hunt, but I honestly think the injury he caused cech was accidental and Cech was none too forgiving.....when asked about the tackle some time after the incident Cech said "I don't want to talk about him..." get over it man

It may sound biased but I do not think there is any better keeper that I have seen in World Football than Given. Personally I'd rate him number 1 with Cassillas a close second
    Cech is an outstanding keeper, fair enough had a rough patch last year.... im sure you would be unaffected coming back onto the pitch after nearly loosing your life through injury on it, but the rest of us are just human. He's by far the most complete goalkeeper for me, his performance against Everton in December there clearly shows the mans talent.... oh and 1,025 mins of football without conceeding a goal and that penalty save against blackburn to cap it.

Given needs to get himself into a Champions league team in order to prove how good he is.... I rate him highly but he's not the best in the world, top 5 maybe.
    Last edited by Oink; 07/01/2009 at 4:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    How much Premiership football do you actually get to watch out in Oz? Seriously. James, Tim Howard and Friedal have been outstanding for their respective clubs over the past 3 years. VDS is on his last legs and this will probably be his last season but I'd still take him over Reina every day of the week. Jaaskelainen? If he played for one of the big 4 clubs everybody would be raving about him.
    I get to see at least 2 games each weekend, Oz may be on the other side of the world but we do have sattelite TV and even the equivilant of SKY Plus!!!! I agree with what you say about James, Howard and Friedal being outstanding for their respective clubs, my point is very little is expected of them. Reina is expected to keep a clean sheet each and every week and is under much more pressure than them. If any of those guys put in a good performance they are lauded as heros whereas Reina is expected to deliver all the time, one mistake and he is hammered. His consistency under those conditions is incredible. As someone already said he is the first keeper in a long time that Liverpool fans are happy with after a string of rubbish keepers including Friedal and James, they obviously could not perform under pressure because they are quite good now. As for Howard, well I will just agree to disagree. I think you will find when you re-read my post that I 100% agree that Jaaskelainen is a great keeper. He is wasted at Bolton just as Given is wasted at Newcastle. I can't belive a manager of Wengers talent paid good money for both Lehmann and Almunia when he could have chased one of those two to replace Seaman.
    Help something bit me!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    As a Juve fan, I'm fairly certain that Gigi Buffon won't be leaving Juve any time soon (if ever). Therefore I find it extremely unlikely that Shay will be joining to sit on the bench.
    He should get out of Newcastle as quick as possible IMO though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oink View Post
    Cech is an outstanding keeper
    I actually don't think he has come back to anywhere near the form of his first full season at Chelsea. He clearly has everything you'd want in a 'keeper but for me the "best in the world" mantle just became a habit on behalf of UK media, it didn't really hold true. Too many high profile blunders last season for me. Den is right when he says he seems to be above criticism. Any error is always said to be uncharacteristic but in truth his errors last year were nothing but characteristic at the time.

I haven't seen much of him this season but he seems to be getting back towards his best.

Just to revert to some of the other 'keepers mentioned above, Howard & Schwarzer are far too hit and miss for me to be anything other than mid-ranking.

I think Buffon and Casillas are probably the best, beyond that there aren't many better than Given and I think he stacks up well against anyone. It'd be interesting to see how he'd do at a top club - I personally think he'd have no trouble.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    One area where Shay is particularly weak on is penalties, I think i have only ever seen him save one penalty for Newcastle. None for Ireland but obviously the number of pens he faced for us would be significantly less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    One area where Shay is particularly weak on is penalties, I think i have only ever seen him save one penalty for Newcastle. None for Ireland but obviously the number of pens he faced for us would be significantly less.
    What about his fantastic penalty save in Cyprus?
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligo Hornet View Post
    What about his fantastic penalty save in Cyprus?
    I stand corrected. Still dont think he has a great record at them to be honest.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    He's unconvincing with penatlies for sure. There was a whole thread started by Owls fan (?) over a year ago. He did save one recently but it's certainly the exception. If I was buying a keeper I'm not sure I'd let that be a dealbreaker though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    He's unconvincing with penatlies for sure. There was a whole thread started by Owls fan (?) over a year ago. He did save one recently but it's certainly the exception. If I was buying a keeper I'm not sure I'd let that be a dealbreaker though.
    He saved a penalty in Cyprus for us, don't forget.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Absolutely, and what save it was too.

If only he had stood up against Mendietta's pathetic effort in Suwon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    I remember that penalty well, it was my brother's 21st and we were watching the game in the pub. As he was making the run up, I said "you know, I don't think I've ever seen Given save a penalty"!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You could see Mendietta jump a little after he struck it. Even he wasn't convinced by it.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

If only he had stood up against Mendietta's pathetic effort in Suwon
    Still drives me demented thinking about that.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I remember that penalty well, it was my brother's 21st and we were watching the game in the pub. As he was making the run up, I said "you know, I don't think I've ever seen Given save a penalty"!
    I said the exact same thing to my missus! Well we can't be right all the time. Shay has always done it for us. I'll never forget the two outstanding saves he made at Lansdowne in the second half against Iran in the WC play-off. Made sure we brought the two-goal lead to Tehran.
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast