Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 A Championship

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    That's been tried before. Poor system, I think. Probably more dead games, ironically. Teams who finish one point off the top half are done out of a chance to make a late run for Europe, but have no chance of going down. Also leads to situations of three home games and one away game against a club, or vice versa.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    League spilts don't work, as some teams are merely going through the motions for the last few weeks of the season. In an ideal world, there would be a 16 team Premier with 30 games and a 12 team First.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

castlebar celtic in 2009 a championship

99% sure that castlebar celtic will be playing in the a championship this season. great news and good to have eircom league clubs back in celtic park after the way that we were treated in not being let play in the u20 league last season. new pitch built and now more than likely an eircom league club. great few months for celtic!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoop4life View Post
    99% sure that castlebar celtic will be playing in the a championship this season. great news and good to have eircom league clubs back in celtic park after the way that we were treated in not being let play in the u20 league last season. new pitch built and now more than likely an eircom league club. great few months for celtic!!
    Any info or pictures of new pitch?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCforlife View Post
    no pictures but it is a 3rd generation astroturf pitch, full size, fully floodlit. once we get licence it is fit to play any level games. fantastic surface. massive asset for celtic. we were paying a couple of grand a year to mayo league to train on their astroturf but our pitch is now going every night of the week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    no pictures but it is a 3rd generation astroturf pitch, full size, fully floodlit. once we get licence it is fit to play any level games. fantastic surface. massive asset for celtic. we were paying a couple of grand a year to mayo league to train on their astroturf but our pitch is now going every night of the week.
    Well I wish ye the best of luck, no harm for another bit of rivalry out West!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well I wish ye the best of luck, no harm for another bit of rivalry out West!
    thanks!! lost 11 players players to ye, mervue and sligo last year. they dont have to leave now to get eircom league football. have some young excellent young players coming through here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    thanks!! lost 11 players players to ye, mervue and sligo last year. they dont have to leave now to get eircom league football. have some young excellent young players coming through here.
    Boyler will be banging them in this year
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I like the way the A-league is shaping up, more teams coming through this year. I say let them find their feet and then merge with the First Div and split north/south to reduce costs. Could make the whole thing much more financially sustainable. For example:

Premier Div:
    Bohemians, Bray Wanderers, Cork City, Derry City, Drogheda United, Dundalk, Galway United, St Patricks Ath, Shamrock Rovers, Sligo Rovers

First Div (N):
    Athlone Town, Castlebar Celtic, Finn Harps, Longford Town, Mervue United, Monaghan Utd, Salthill Devon, Shelbourne, Sporting Fingal, Tullamore Town

First Div (S):
    FC Carlow, Cobh Ramblers, Kildare County, Kilkenny City, Limerick, Tralee Dynamoes, UCD, Waterford United, Wayside Celtic, Wexford Youths

IF more teams come through (e.g. Mullingar, Clonmel, Fanad), the First Divs can be beefed up by reducing from 4 rounds of matches to 3. Thoughts???
    Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes. Brian Clough

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpster View Post
    I like the way the A-league is shaping up, more teams coming through this year. I say let them find their feet and then merge with the First Div and split north/south to reduce costs. Could make the whole thing much more financially sustainable. For example:

Premier Div:
    Bohemians, Bray Wanderers, Cork City, Derry City, Drogheda United, Dundalk, Galway United, St Patricks Ath, Shamrock Rovers, Sligo Rovers

First Div (N):
    Athlone Town, Castlebar Celtic, Finn Harps, Longford Town, Mervue United, Monaghan Utd, Salthill Devon, Shelbourne, Sporting Fingal, Tullamore Town

First Div (S):
    FC Carlow, Cobh Ramblers, Kildare County, Kilkenny City, Limerick, Tralee Dynamoes, UCD, Waterford United, Wayside Celtic, Wexford Youths

IF more teams come through (e.g. Mullingar, Clonmel, Fanad), the First Divs can be beefed up by reducing from 4 rounds of matches to 3. Thoughts???
    Would another Dublin team be viable? I don't think so, but I do like your idea. Crowds may benefit through more local derbies, and it would be easier for away fans travelling to games as they wouldn't have as far to travel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Would another Dublin team be viable?
    I think its vital. I'm no Dub, but the population of the capital is large and the bigger clubs need some feeder clubs to help players make the step up from LSL.
    Players lose you games, not tactics. There's so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes. Brian Clough

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Premier Div:

First Div (N):

First Div (S):

Definitely agree that the "A" clubs need to be given full League membership, as that's their ultimate aim in joining in the first place. Also your regional divisions could definitely work, as the likes of Dynamos, Carlow and Salthill are ambitious, but are lacking the funds to play in a national league at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Premier Div:

First Div (N):

First Div (S):

i agree that that is a very good idea. would cut down travelling expenses big time and also the new clubs like ourselves and tralee would be playing teams more of our own equal like tullamore, salthill and mervue.
    best idea i have heard so far!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    An idea that has been proposed before and probably the one I like the best.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I've been flying that kite since about 2003!
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not fully completed pics but they give an idea

http://www.castlebarceltic.com/defau...nc=8114&id=509

Please note that the 4 recruits in the pics are not our defensive 4. Digger, tractor, dumper and hi-mac were just there doing the ground work

Will see if I can get a few pics, due up there Sunday for a game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Premier Div:

First Div (N):

First Div (S):

In principle, it looks like the solution, but there is one problem. Promotion and relegation could soon become an issue should a geographical imbalance occur, leading to a new 'shuffle' of the the 2 first division groups. In my opinion, 4 rounds of matches is too much and people get bored of the same opposition on a regular basis.

My solution would be a 16 team 1st division, play eachother twice and have no midweek matches. 2 automatic promotion places, and 2 relegation to the A Championship. The 1st division is the second tier of our country and you should be able to afford those costs, if you want to play in it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldyouth View Post
    In principle, it looks like the solution, but there is one problem. Promotion and relegation could soon become an issue should a geographical imbalance occur, leading to a new 'shuffle' of the the 2 first division groups.
    That already occurs in the Blue Square North and South in England and isn't a problem.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    That does look a viable option, I think that has to be considered. As I said in my proposal, I would like the Promotion and Relegation to extend to the Provincial leagues and Junior Leagues, to give them something to play for and they can always accept not to be promoted if they wish not to be.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    That already occurs in the Blue Square North and South in England and isn't a problem.
    It occurs in lots of leagues. The Spanish third division is regionalised, as is the Belgian third flight, the German fourth division, etc. The whole point of the system is that teams aren't bound to one division or the other, but that there's a new north/south split every year.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast