Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squad for Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I hate critisising any of the selections in the squad but it makes no sense to me how Shane Long is in the squad ahead of Noel Hunt, the lad is on fire at the moment and Long cant get near the Reading team because of him. I know Trap is conservative and likes to go with what he knows but its frustrating. As is the continued selection of Liam Miller
    Jaysus, some people don't seem to have a clue.

Long has been in the squad for a couple of years now, has been involved with Trap in all of his squads and the Portugal breaks. He knows his international teammates, knows what system and style Trap wants to play and has experience of playing (and scoring) in international games. Yes Noel has been better than Long in recent weeks, but its hardly the time to throw in a rookie, especially when you can wait until the B international v. Forest (if he was fit) or the upcoming friendlies to have a look at Hunt, meet with him and discuss/show him what Trap wants from his strikers. Its not simply a case of throwing together the 'Team of the Week' ffs.

And fwiw, as a Rovers fan I'd love nothing more than to see Noel get capped, but this game isn't the time when he's never even been involved in a squad before.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post

Long has been in the squad for a couple of years now, has been involved with Trap in all of his squads and the Portugal breaks. He knows his international teammates, knows what system and style Trap wants to play and has experience of playing (and scoring) in international games. Yes Noel has been better than Long in recent weeks, but its hardly the time to throw in a rookie, especially when you can wait until the B international v. Forest (if he was fit) or the upcoming friendlies to have a look at Hunt, meet with him and discuss/show him what Trap wants from his strikers. Its not simply a case of throwing together the 'Team of the Week' ffs.

And fwiw, as a Rovers fan I'd love nothing more than to see Noel get capped, but this game isn't the time when he's never even been involved in a squad before.
    How does saying that I think Noel Hunt is a better player than Long equate to me not having a clue? Hunt has been more prolific in time at Reading than Long ever has, plus he has been prolific in the SPL too... Anyway as has been pointed out to me Hunt is ruled out because of injury so my point doesnt matter this time around
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post

Shane Long has something like 12 goals in all competition over the past 4 years, Hunt had more than that last year alone (albeit in the SPL, but Long didn't even get it done in the CCC). Yes, he bagged a couple against a lackluster Denmark and one against Bolivia/Ecuador (I can't remember), but unless he starts scoring in the league I'll have no choice but to assume those were flukes. He is still young though. in my opinion he should be in the u21s, not the senior squad.

Also, if we go by your reasoning of international experience and knowing the teammates there are two other guys with 9 goals (1 each against Cyprus as well) and over 30 caps I can think of who should be in there (and both were Trap's first squad, though ones hurt)
    Last edited by theworm2345; 07/10/2008 at 5:25 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The Herald says that Trap confirmed already that McShane, O'Shea, Dunne and Kilbane will be his defence vs Cyprus. They also said Miller will almost certainly come in for S.Reid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    The Herald says that Trap confirmed already that McShane, O'Shea, Dunne and Kilbane will be his defence vs Cyprus. They also said Miller will almost certainly come in for S.Reid.
    God help us if Miller gets a starting berth.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Eire I think ha ha !!!
    Doh!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Miller's never had a bad game for us so I don't know where this hate brigade for him comes from. He's not or never has been a bad player or a liability. He's at worst an average player but I've always felt that he's held his own whenever he's played for us. I'd obviously take Andy Reid ahead of him but after that Miller should be next on everyone's list.
    Miller's never had a good game for us! He's out of his depth. Average, maybe. Andy Reid offers so much more, as you say.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Miller's never had a bad game for us so I don't know where this hate brigade for him comes from. He's not or never has been a bad player or a liability. He's at worst an average player but I've always felt that he's held his own whenever he's played for us. I'd obviously take Andy Reid ahead of him but after that Miller should be next on everyone's list.

Technically you may be right, as you have to be "in" the game in order to have a bad one. Miller's weakness is not that he does particularly bad things, makes poor passes etc, but that he simply is not engaged in what's happening around him. In the Columbia and Serbia games he was a complete passenger. Playing Miller and Whelan is in my view tantamount to not having a midfield at all. We are going to rely 100% on the wide players to create chances, which with Keane and Doyle as our strike force seems like an optimistic approach.

I know Trap's a tactical genius and I am an opinionated arse-hole but I just dont understand what's going on with our midfield selections at the minute.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I feel the same way as you do third policeman but if they beat Cyprus comfortably I will STFU

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan 82 View Post
    I feel the same way as you do third policeman but if they beat Cyprus comfortably I will STFU

Cheers Brendan. on this occasion humble-pie would be an appetising dish next Wednesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Technically you may be right, as you have to be "in" the game in order to have a bad one. Miller's weakness is not that he does particularly bad things, makes poor passes etc, but that he simply is not engaged in what's happening around him. In the Columbia and Serbia games he was a complete passenger. Playing Miller and Whelan is in my view tantamount to not having a midfield at all. We are going to rely 100% on the wide players to create chances, which with Keane and Doyle as our strike force seems like an optimistic approach.

I know Trap's a tactical genius and I am an opinionated arse-hole but I just dont understand what's going on with our midfield selections at the minute.

I agree with you there on Miller, you have hit the nail on the head regarding Miller and I am not sure why Trap favours him over other players.

You are also spot on about the 2 last things also ha ha!!! Just kidding.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thumbs up Not too bad

Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Given
    Kiely
    Murphy

O'Shea
    Dunne
    Bruce
    McShane
    Kilbane
    Delaney

Reid
    Miller
    O'Brien
    McGeady
    Duff
    Hunt
    Whelan

Doyle
    Keane
    Keogh
    Long
    Murphy
    of the squad i would suggest only Bruce, O'Sh**, Miller and Long are absolute sh*te

Not too bad 5 out of 21 normally (apres WC 2002) we're on a 10 ****e players per squad rule, things are lookin up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    O Shea had 2 great games for Ireland recently Maybe if he gets a decent run of it at centre back he can convince a few of us who have been on his back
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hunt4the View Post
    of the squad i would suggest only Bruce, O'Sh**, Miller and Long are absolute sh*te

Not too bad 5 out of 21 normally (apres WC 2002) we're on a 10 ****e players per squad rule, things are lookin up
    Have u not watched O Shea in our last couple of games...The lad has been excellent and is forming a very good partnership with Dunne

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Have u not watched O Shea in our last couple of games...The lad has been excellent and is forming a very good partnership with Dunne
    He was at fault for the gaol v Montenegro (as was Dunne though!).

I am never comfortable with O'Shea at center back, but we don't have much else.

He won't play here v Cyprus anyway, he'll be out right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post

I am never comfortable with O'Shea at center back, but we don't have much else.

He won't play here v Cyprus anyway, he'll be out right.
    I didnt think he was, there wasnt a lot he could do about it. He will stay at center half agains Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Leave O'Shea centre back. He looked good there in our last couple of games and im sure the more games he plays alongside dunne the better a partnership they will develop

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    What goal? It was 0 -0.

I'm worried about us getting bossed about in the midfield. Sorry but I'd have Carlsley in there with Whelan to bully them and then rely on McGeady and Duff to open them up.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Duff Keane Reid McGeady
    Doyle Hunt

(obviously we won't need a defense or keeper)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie's Son View Post
    What goal? It was 0 -0.
    You are far too worried about detail. Lets blame him for the goal anyway.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast