Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sund-Ireland?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Sund-Ireland?

so much for the glut of irish players at sunderland.
    watching sunderland at the mo on the tele. 1st time ive seen them this year. they have only 1 ROI player in the starting 11 (Andy Reid). While i think Daryl Murphy is the only one on the bench.
    With mc Shane on loan to one of the new teams (hull?), where is the rest of these irish lads he has signed?? are they out on loan or transferred on??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Miller is injured. Harte was let go. O Donovan is on loan in Scotland. Not sure where Connolly is. Stokes is just not in the squad.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Miller is injured. Harte was let go. O Donovan is on loan in Scotland. Not sure where Connolly is. Stokes is just not in the squad.
    Connolly's only just after recovering from surgery in the summer, Keane said he would be looking to let him go out on loan to get back to fitness.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Kavanagh and Connolly have no future at the club. Connolly woul be about 6th or 7th choice striker and Kavanagh would be about 7th or 8th choice in midfield. Neither player will be at the club next year.

McShane and Murphy are two of the most hated players at the club. McShane has been unfairly vilified for a few bad mistakes last season. Murphy on the other hand generally plays poorly but has the occasional moment of brilliance.

Myler is still only a kid, I think he might be shipped out on loan at some point to get some experience. Same goes for Liddle.

Stokes hasn't really been given a chance this season. There are rumours about a lack of commitment in training and a fondness for the bookies and drinking. I think he'll have to prove himself on loan to be honest.

Miller is a decent enough player, but now that Sunderland have better players, he's now fallen down the pecking order to backup. To be honest, I'd expect him to leave at the end of this season.

Reid is a quality player. If he can keep injury free, he's a first name on the team sheet.

As for Nicky Colgan? The less said the better.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    Kavanagh and Connolly have no future at the club. Connolly woul be about 6th or 7th choice striker and Kavanagh would be about 7th or 8th choice in midfield. Neither player will be at the club next year.

McShane and Murphy are two of the most hated players at the club. McShane has been unfairly vilified for a few bad mistakes last season. Murphy on the other hand generally plays poorly but has the occasional moment of brilliance.

Myler is still only a kid, I think he might be shipped out on loan at some point to get some experience. Same goes for Liddle.

Stokes hasn't really been given a chance this season. There are rumours about a lack of commitment in training and a fondness for the bookies and drinking. I think he'll have to prove himself on loan to be honest.

Miller is a decent enough player, but now that Sunderland have better players, he's now fallen down the pecking order to backup. To be honest, I'd expect him to leave at the end of this season.

Reid is a quality player. If he can keep injury free, he's a first name on the team sheet.

Reid has been warming the subs bench for the last few games. I thought he did OK today but wasted the ball a lot (down to lack of first team starts?). Reid is capable of stepping up but Trap has doubts about him,.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

excellent summary.
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Do you have anything to back this up? I think this is bull tbh.
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I have a concern that Stokes is going down the same path as Thornton did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wouldn't say they're hated! A lot of people have plenty of time for Murph and I'm one of them but lets face it, he isn't anywhere near the level of Cisse, Diouf or Jones. Maybe he's not as good as Chops or Healy. Murphy chipped in with a few important goals in the last two seasons.

McShane was a poor buy. He has plenty of heart but zero skill. I'd have him about 6th choice now behind Anton, Nuggys, Collins, Chimbonda, Bardsley, McCartney for a defensive option.

Good news is we've plenty of good young Irish players in the youths. McArdle, Liddle, Hourihane, Henderson.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zenokelly View Post
    Do you have anything to back this up? I think this is bull tbh.
    I think maybe hated is too strong a word for McShane. Ridiculed would be a better one. Sunderland fans view him as being the new Titus Bramble.

As for Murphy? Fans know he is capable of the occasional peice of magic. Problem is that he's viewed as lazy, inconsistant and Sunderland seem to have a habit of conceeding as soon as he's brought on the pitch.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I have a concern that Stokes is going down the same path as Thornton did.
    Thornton could have been a big player for Ireland. Sad to see that he's still on the decline.

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=348301

I don't think Stokes was as good as Thornton though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post
    Good news is we've plenty of good young Irish players in the youths. McArdle, Liddle, Hourihane, Henderson.
    Any thoughts on the "other" Irish players at the SoL? Trevor Carson (loaned to Chester) & Robbie Weir in the Youths, and Healy and McCartney in the senior squad?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Does anyone remember Kieron Brady? Was supposed to be a fantastic prospect for us at sunderland either in the late eighties / early nineties. He also went on a total downward spiral going. Think he went to Darlington or Hartlepool and went off the radar. Quinn and A Reid are about the only Irish players I can think off who (in recent times) have gone to Sunderland and enhanced their reputation. Kilbane, had an horrendous time there. Thornton, Elliot,Babb,McAteer, Kav, Harte, Connolly, Stokes, Miller, McShane, A. Quinn, O'Donovan et al have all seen their careers and reputations dive after joining Sunderland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Sean Thornton is another one of those "could of been" players we missed out on, along with Alan Mahon, burst onto the scene with heaps of promise then fizzled out, its a real shame
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Does anyone remember Kieron Brady? Was supposed to be a fantastic prospect for us at sunderland either in the late eighties / early nineties. He also went on a total downward spiral going. Think he went to Darlington or Hartlepool and went off the radar. Quinn and A Reid are about the only Irish players I can think off who (in recent times) have gone to Sunderland and enhanced their reputation. Kilbane, had an horrendous time there. Thornton, Elliot,Babb,McAteer, Kav, Harte, Connolly, Stokes, Miller, McShane, A. Quinn, O'Donovan et al have all seen their careers and reputations dive after joining Sunderland.
    Dunno about those 2, McAteer had a good career at Sunderland, was one of their best players when they won the Championship under McCarthy. Kavanagh was decent when they won it under Keane as well. Both were nearing the end of their careers to boot so wherever they were they were unlikely to enhace their reputation at that stage.

TAke your point in general though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Any thoughts on the "other" Irish players at the SoL? Trevor Carson (loaned to Chester) & Robbie Weir in the Youths, and Healy and McCartney in the senior squad?
    No...
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    My only problem with Ringo is, he's born on the wrong side of the border!!! He is my favourite player in the current squad and one of my all time favourites! Excellent defender! One of the most underated players in the Premiership. That what West Ham fans thought of him and I'd agree. Robbie is doing well in the ressies at moment. Trevor looks a half decent keeper and Keane thinks highly of him. Haven't seen much of Healy to rate him at the club but please we got him all the same. Hopefully he can bring his N.Ireland boots with him to the SoL.
    Last edited by SunderlandBohs; 06/10/2008 at 3:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Kieron Brady just packet it in. I suppose you could add David Kelly, Tommy Butler, Colin Healy and Bredan McGill to that list too. Then again Shay Given and Charlie Hurley didn't do to bad at us did they?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBohs View Post
    Kieron Brady just packet it in. I suppose you could add David Kelly, Tommy Butler, Colin Healy and Bredan McGill to that list too. Then again Shay Given and Charlie Hurley didn't do to bad at us did they?!
    Butler had some personal problems I was told about. I don't know how accurate the reports are, but he nearly dropped out of the game altogether. He's doing well at Swansea in the Championship, after winning promotion last season. Hope he continues to improve.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I wouldn't say Liam Miller's career has took a nose dive since he joined Sunderland. He did well in the Championship winning season and also played a decent part in keeping Sunderland up last year. The problem is that Sunderland have brought in better players like Andy Reid and Malbranque.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast