Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Cyprus game plan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    I don't like the idea of Mcshane at right back (or anywhere)

Are Stephen Kelly and Joey O'Brien fit and available?
    yeah nobody has mentioned joey o'brien at all.surely when hes fit hes a much better option than mcshane at right full.he came on as a sub today in the game against west ham.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    well mcshane has played right back on the back of two victories for Hull against Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur of England.

My only concern would be what he offers from an attacking perspective, but judging by his elastico a couple of seasons ago he might offer more than people would think.

So what team do people want to line out if Kelly, Finnan, Steven Reid are injured.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    well mcshane has played right back on the back of two victories for Hull against Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur of England.

My only concern would be what he offers from an attacking perspective, but judging by his elastico a couple of seasons ago he might offer more than people would think.

So what team do people want to line out if Kelly, Finnan, Steven Reid are injured.

There has been plenty of discussion as to who should partner S.Reid in our CMF as he has to be one of the first players on the team sheet.
    I posed a question a few weeks ago about our best CMF pairing if S. Reid got injured but got no reply.

It will be interesting to see if Carsley is recalled to the squad. If so then I presume a pair from A. Reid, Whelan, Miller and Carsley will be chosen.
    I wouldn't be happy at all with Miller in there and a CMF of Carsley-Whelan would IMO be too limited. So that leaves either Reid-Carsley or Reid-Whelan.
    It would be a close call but I myself would go for Reid-Carsley because whelan can't be match fit but wouldn't complain too much if it was Reid-Whelan.

My team would be:

-------------Given-------------

McShane-Dunne-O'Shea-Kilbane

Duff--A.Reid--Carsley--McGeady

--------Keane--Doyle-----

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The team will be this:

Duff--Whelan--S.Reid--McGeady

depending on fitness of Finnan of course, then mcshane would be dropped..
    it is strange whelan has been 1 of our top players so far this campaign and hasnt got his place for STOKE!
    if trappatoni sees something in him and has played him every minute of managing ireland how can the stoke city manager not see anything!?
    i think if we start with the team above and then take andy reid and s.hunt on with about 20mins r so left to go (no latter) to run at their defence and tear them apart more if needed we would do good!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I think Whelan is an average player but his style of play doesn't suit Stoke. He is not physical enough to be in their team, for us he works, cause he's just in there to keep things ticking over.

Steven Reid is out by the way.

Some players might just suit international football better, steven reid might be an example of this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    There has been plenty of discussion as to who should partner S.Reid in our CMF as he has to be one of the first players on the team sheet.
    I posed a question a few weeks ago about our best CMF pairing if S. Reid got injured but got no reply.

It will be interesting to see if Carsley is recalled to the squad. If so then I presume a pair from A. Reid, Whelan, Miller and Carsley will be chosen.
    I wouldn't be happy at all with Miller in there and a CMF of Carsley-Whelan would IMO be too limited. So that leaves either Reid-Carsley or Reid-Whelan.
    It would be a close call but I myself would go for Reid-Carsley because whelan can't be match fit but wouldn't complain too much if it was Reid-Whelan.

My team would be:

Duff--A.Reid--Carsley--McGeady

don't think that theres any chance that trap will drop whelan for the game against cyprus.i'd say that the only change from the team you're suggesting would be carsley out and whelan in.doubt if carsley will even make the squad as he doesn't seem to really figure in traps plans.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Squad Announced:

Given
    Kiely
    Joe Murphy

O'Brien
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    McShane
    Bruce
    Kilbane
    Delaney

Whelan
    A.Reid
    Miller
    Mcgeady
    Hunt
    Duff

Keane
    Keogh
    Murphy
    Long
    Doyle

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Well he didn't exactly reach out to strenghten the midfield now did he?

My team from that would be:

------------ Given ------------

O'Brien---- Dunne ---- O'Shea ----- Kilbane

Mcgeady----A. Reid --- Whelan --- Duff

Keane----- Doyle

He may not pick A. Reid though so this may be all moot. I still say that we were overrun in the midfield in Cyprus.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    please tell me it wont be whealan and miller in midfield together. please. andy has to come in now. were at home so trap cant be overly concerned.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Miller seems to be a very strange choice. Has he not seen the tapes from our last two matches against Cyprus?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    The physical aspect will be very important. They basicall bullied us physically home and away in the last campaign. It was like men versus boys. A lot of that will depend on Whealan and Miller(damn S. Reid is a big miss) . But i think we will have enough class with Duff, McGeady and an on form Doyle to win.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Trap has confirmed that the back four will be McShane, Dunne, O'Shea and Kilbane although whether McShane will start at full back or center half has apparently yet to be decided. Miller seems to have got the nod to replace S .Reid going by the latest report in the Herald.

But will Reid's absence come with any hope attached for namesake Andy? Hard to tell from Trapattoni's only relevant comment yesterday.

"We change the player but not the tactics because our team has good balance," he said before confirming that Liam Miller has declared himself fully fit. Miller was next in line if Steven Reid had pulled out of the game against Montenegro because of his knee injury, and he missed Sunderland's draw with Arsenal at the weekend because of a groin strain.

He now has a full week to recover if he needs it, and it would be a major surprise if he wasn't picked to start alongside Glenn Whelan.

Trapattoni also revealed that Kevin Kilbane, Richard Dunne, John O'Shea and Paul McShane would make up his back four though he has yet to settle on who will play where.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 08/10/2008 at 8:34 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    It's a strong back four in terms of physciality but we're lacking muscle in the middle. To be honest, I'd have Carlsley ahead of Miller if he isn't going to play A. Reid. A little concerned at the moment.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I dont think Trap will want very attacking full backs. He'll be relying on the wingmen and Doyle/Keane partnership to do the damage.

Is Kilbane still wearing the blinkers? Only one real slip up with them on last game. Predator blinkers anyone?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Bear View Post
    I dont think Trap will want very attacking full backs. He'll be relying on the wingmen and Doyle/Keane partnership to do the damage.

Is Kilbane still wearing the blinkers? Only one real slip up with them on last game. Predator blinkers anyone?
    its an italian tradition to play with attacking full backs when you're at home and i think thats the only reason hes unsure whether mcshane would be better in the centre or not

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12