Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1243

Thread: Keith Fahey

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I found it hard to figure him out there, was he a bit petulant, a bit sulky, perhaps mollycoddled growing up. Or was he a guy who genuinely had some confidence issues, and was not able for certain social situations and scenarios that he would rather shy away from.

I always thought he came across as a shy retiring type, but reading that I am not so sure.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    I see he was a Trapp man and comments:

"It was just disappointing how quickly the fans turned on him. He was a hero, but that’s football. A few bad results and he’s the villain straight away, (people were saying) ‘the football’s bad’. The football was always bad. It was just, we got away with it, we got results.”

I am not sure the football was always bad (before him) or that the fans quickly turned on him. I think the latter was a gradual process even before the failure at the Euros, certainly among my compadres, and mostly not due exclusively to the style of play but more so for his failure to pick perceived better players but that has been all well covered before. The style of football under his immediate predecessors wasn't all long ball and as far as I recall Kerr and McCarthy teams did try and play more of a passing game with varying degrees of success.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    My abiding memory from watching Fahey and Andrews in the Premier League is that games passed them by.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 27/03/2017 at 3:26 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I see he was a Trapp man and comments:

"It was just disappointing how quickly the fans turned on him. He was a hero, but that’s football. A few bad results and he’s the villain straight away, (people were saying) ‘the football’s bad’. The football was always bad. It was just, we got away with it, we got results.”

I am not sure the football was always bad (before him) or that the fans quickly turned on him. I think the latter was a gradual process even before the failure at the Euros, certainly among my compadres, and mostly not due exclusively to the style of play but more so for his failure to pick perceived better players but that has been all well covered before. The style of football under his immediate predecessors wasn't all long ball and as far as I recall Kerr and McCarthy teams did try and play more of a passing game with varying degrees of success.
    I thought me meant the football they played under him was always bad, that he was a hero, and then after a few results that didnt go our way the fans turned and the football is bad. I took it to mean Fahey meant the reign of Trap and only Trap. Well fair play to him anyway for sticking up for Trap, he can't have complaints really, when he was selected. But others were quick to run Trap down, rightfully so in my opinion though.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    fair play to him anyway for sticking up for Trap. But others were quick to run Trap down, rightfully so in my opinion.
    That's some contradiction in the space of only a few words

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Not really, if he believes it i am saying as a player he was right to, given how other players ran him down since. "others" as in players above.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Not really, if he believes it i am saying as a player he was right to, given how other players ran him down since. "others" as in players above.
    Interesting though how there can be two opposite takes on what someone said:

"it was just disappointing how quickly the fans turned on him. He was a hero, but that’s football. A few bad results and he’s the villain straight away, (people were saying) ‘the football’s bad’. The football was always bad. It was just, we got away with it, we got results.”

I take it as being Irish football was always bad, you take it as he was referring only to Trapp. I would have thought, if you go by your interpretation, he would have said "It was just he got away with it, he got results".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I took it based on the fact he had been discussin traps reign, he mentions the turning point, "a few bad results and he's the villain straight away", "the footbal was always bad...we got the results". Its not clear you are right but he references a turning point in Traps tenure and then explains by saying the football was always bad but we got the results, why would he refer to other campaigns about results? We hadn't got the results under stan or kerr and the football was bad i.e. we didnt qualify(we did under trap so it was acceptable).

He probably did mean what you and stutts said! But thats not what he said.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

9. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I'll always remember his goal in Yerevan, that result dug us out of a tight spot. It was our first proper game since Henry's cheating in Saint Denis. It was a swelteringly hot and humid day out there (like a steam room or summer on a London tube) and the energy was sapping out of the players - we had 15 mins left and he scored. I think the goal was crucial in getting us into second, it meant we started our campaign in a positive manner, it gave us an early edge on the other teams in our group (we were the only team to win in Yerevan and the only other points they dropped at home was in a draw with Russia).

I felt Trap was a bit unfairly criticized. He got us so near to WC2010, and then got us to Euro2012 (arguably two of the hardest qualifications we've had). There was a real clamoring for him to pick gifted players who weren't grafters. The media seemed to want him to start say Andy Reid instead of Keith Andrews, but Trap's tactics were very tight and the system couldn't afford to sacrifice the engine of a Whelan or and Andrews for an immobile but gifted Reid. I think players like Fahey offered a degree of uniqueness in the sense they were tactically sound (able to track back and mark) but also offered a degree of guile and quality.

There is a tendency to forget just how bad we were under Stan, but we were really horrid. The nadir of modern Irish international football surely has to be the 5-2 in Nicosia. Trap's management obviously came unstuck in Poland and we fumbled into WC2014 qualification, but were still alive in terms of second place until injury time home to Austria and arguably even as late as game 7 (of ten) when we went 1 up at home to Sweden. Two good qualification campaigns, thee-quarters of a bad one, and a getting found out in the Euro 2012 "group of death" - I don't think many other managers could have done much better.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I know he was on a booking but I can't help but feel that taking Long off contributed to us losing that lead against Austria in Dublin.

Walters was completely spent and you had Sammon tottering up the other end of the pitch marooned from the midfield.

We badly needed Long's energy, endeavour and tenacity to help close out that game.

That equaliser was coming, and the dam burst after Long's substitution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Sammon.

That is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Why are people still talking about Trap? No matter what he done with the team, Giovanni Trappatoni was a hindrance to Irish football, and his blatant disregard for the league here was totally unacceptable for the man in charge of the Irish senior team. We're in a much better place with O'Neill and Keane and Trap is now a distant memory.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Why are people still talking about Trap? No matter what he done with the team, Giovanni Trappatoni was a hindrance to Irish football, and his blatant disregard for the league here was totally unacceptable for the man in charge of the Irish senior team. We're in a much better place with O'Neill and Keane and Trap is now a distant memory.
    The football on display in both home qualifiers this campaign has been as turgid as it was under Trap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    The football on display in both home qualifiers this campaign has been as turgid as it was under Trap.
    I disagree. We've shown a lot more this campaign than we ever did under Trap. It's easy to forget exactly how negative he was.

Martin O'Neill has never been known as a manager who lets his teams get the ball down and play football, but we've shown some good football at times. I couldn't bring myself to watch Ireland play under Trap at times it was that horrible. Whilst we've not set the world alight under O'Neill, we've been a damn sight better to watch.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think we still get stifled in front of your own crowd. Georgia and Wales games we just looked anxious from start to finish. We look more comfortable when we're away from home and we don't have to worry about controlling the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Myself and Paul O'Shea were having a nice private conversation about what Keith Fahey meant when he said our football was "always bad". We were not reviewing the Trapp era on which we know there are divided opinions, mostly anti-Trapp. That has been discussed ad nauseum I know, although cfdh did broaden the discussion (brave man).

Interesting that you call it the "O'Neill and Keane" era. Nobody ever called it the "Charlton and Setters", "McCarthy and Evans", "Trapp and Tardelli", "Kerr and Hughton" and "Staunton and Robson" eras. Keane undoubtedly had a higher profile in Ireland than the other assistants but I often wonder is he any more effective than any of the other assistants over the years? I honestly don't know the role of the assistant manager. Nothing to do with Keith Fahey I know

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Bar acknowledging Dundalk's unprecedented success in Europe with a couple of squad inclusions, what has O'Neill done for the league here? You might be talking about attending functions and the likes, so genuine question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Bar acknowledging Dundalk's unprecedented success in Europe with a couple of squad inclusions, what has O'Neill done for the league here? You might be talking about attending functions and the likes, so genuine question.
    He often attends games and talks the league up, which is an improvement at least on Trap's "In Ireland, there is no league".

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    Pretty much everything that is wrong with Irish football fans in one sentence....when Coleman is plying his trade with Dagenham in a few years time will he still be the standard that Irish football measures itself against?
    Just want to bring this old gem up!
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

25. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

27. Thanks From:

Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast