Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1243

Thread: Keith Fahey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran
    He'll never get an Irish cap, he'll make a handful of poor sub appearances for Birmingham before vanishing into obscurity for a while, perhaps being loaned out to fill the bench for some first division scottish side the following season before returning to the LOI when his contract expires.

That's my prediction.

What a tool

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    That's up there with SuperGretna in the worst predictions ever category.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    One thing that puzzled me during Brady's appraisal of Fahey was his answer when Bill asked him something along the lines of can we expect to see Fahey get better or improve. Brady's answer was that he didn't think that there was much scope for him to improve (sorry I don't have the actual quotes, this computer doesn't have Real Player to check RTE). My personal impression was that Brady, although delighted to see Keith break into the Ireland and Birmingham squads, was suggesting that this is probably as good as it is going to get for him. I don't remember him saying anything like Fahey could be a key player in the coming years. I was delighted with Fahey's goal and have been hoping he'd get called up since the latter days of his St. Pats career. But it was interesting (an maybe a slight bit disappointing) to hear such comments from a coach who knows the player well. In essence I suppose it was Brady's tone and careful choice of words that surprised me. Anyone else agree or have any thoughts on it?
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 05/09/2010 at 1:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    One thing that puzzled me during Brady's appraisal of Fahey was his answer when Bill asked him something along the lines of can we expect to see Fahey get better or improving. Brady's answer was that he didn't think that there was much scope for him to improve (sorry I don't have the actual quotes, this computer doesn't have Real Player to check RTE). My personal impression was that Brady, although delighted to see Keith break into the Ireland and Birmingham squads, was suggesting that this is probably as good as it is going to get for him. I don't remember him saying anything like Fahey could be a key player in the coming years. I was delighted with Fahey's goal and have been hoping he'd get called up since the latter days of his St. Pats career. But it was interesting (an maybe a slight bit disappointing) to hear such comments from a coach who knows the player well. In essence I suppose it was Brady's tone and careful choice of words that surprised me. Anyone else agree or have any thoughts on it?
    He did indeed suggest that Keith has maxed out his potential. He also commended him for overcoming the difficulties he had earlier in his career; not settling in England, returning home and earning a move back etc. I think he was also asked about Fahey's best position and and his response wasn't all that emphatic. All in all he spoke highly of him, some praise and admiration but not getting carried away.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think his comments were sensible enough, Bill was acting like Fahey was some up and coming teenager but by 27 most outfield players are as good as they are going to get, granted there are a few examples of players who peak later than this but generally players aren't going to make any major improvements after his age. I think he has earned a starting spot against Andora in place of either Green or McGeady but I suspect Trap won't make any changes as dropping Green now wouldn't be good for his confidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    i think brady was spot on about fahey. in the loi he was a playmaker midfield dynamo but at top league/top end international level he's more of a continuity player that keeps things ticking without being spectacular, a player like that really needs to be in the midfield tho over plebs like keith andrews and paul green who get in the team because they seem like defensive players

against andorra fahey would however play like the midfield dynamo he was in loi so should start in middle over a hack like paul green who more than likely will do nothing.

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I'm sure Paul Green would have stood out too in the LOI though, and Andrews. Different styles of player though I accept.

Darron Gibson is the one I'd like to see play alongside Whelan on Tuesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    I think he has earned a starting spot against Andora in place of either Green or McGeady but I suspect Trap won't make any changes as dropping Green now wouldn't be good for his confidence.
    Trap has already hinted that McGeady will start again. I don't think he'll drop Green either, that'd destroy his confidence.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Maybe, but I'm sure Green's a big boy. It can easily be explained to him that at home vs Andorra a more creative player is required so it's a change of approach rather than a vote of no-confidence. In reality I think Green will make way for Andrews in October anyway.

I reckon Trap will keep the same XI though.

Did anyone read Emmet Malone's latest piece, suggesting Trap's approach was responsible for Steven Reid's retirement? I'd have though persistent injury and a need to play club football were the resons. Reid was a key part of Trap's plans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Did anyone read Emmet Malone's latest piece, suggesting Trap's approach was responsible for Steven Reid's retirement? I'd have though persistent injury and a need to play club football were the resons. Reid was a key part of Trap's plans.
    I think Trap realised that Reid was crocked but erred in releasing that opinion beyond his own thoughts. Long after though, Reid still maintained an intention/desire to return so it was hardly bridges burned.

Has he played yet this season? I reckon a run of club games would be a triumph for Stephen at this point, never mind an international campaign.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I think he's been on the bench in every game so far.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think he's been on the bench in every game so far.
    from http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Play...1&seasonID=140
    started against Orient in the cup, came off the bench against Sunderland, unused sub against Chelsea and Liverpool
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Trap has already hinted that McGeady will start again. I don't think he'll drop Green either, that'd destroy his confidence.
    Trap would not be a manager if he thought like that. I think he was well pleased with Green's performance. Though you never know, reminds me a bit of the Goodfellows when Joe Pesci went out that morning to become a made man.

Fahey will have earned 10/10, a player who comes on - follows instructions to a tee- saves the game - making his manager look good to the world, I'd say Fahy has earned himself a fixed place in the squad and Trap will have no fear about using him as a sub.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Trap would not be a manager if he thought like that. I think he was well pleased with Green's performance.
    I'm sure he was pleased with the recovery but he can't have been any less concerned about the preceding struggle than the rest of us. His post-match comments praised him for as much. Something along the lines of 'the real Paul Green came through in the end'. Trap saw something in him to begin with so as such, I do think the guy's confidence will be a consideration for him come tuesday's team selection. He won't have written him off because of a bad start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    i think brady was spot on about fahey. in the loi he was a playmaker midfield dynamo but at top league/top end international level he's more of a continuity player that keeps things ticking without being spectacular, a player like that really needs to be in the midfield tho over plebs like keith andrews and paul green who get in the team because they seem like defensive players

against andorra fahey would however play like the midfield dynamo he was in loi so should start in middle over a hack like paul green who more than likely will do nothing.
    Can't agree with that appraisal of Green. If the other days game showed anything bad or in need of improvement in his game then it's in his defensive capabilities. He harries people, he wins ball and he runs at defences -often with more guile and purpose than say S Hunt. He almost put one of our lads through to score at the end of one such run the other day. He made three bad mistakes that I recall but hardly linching offences.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I watched Green have an excellent 70 mins for Derby against Coventry recently and then inexplicably give the ball away just outside of his own box twice in quick succession. I think he gets over confident(concentration?) in his own ability sometimes. I thought he played very well in passages of the game on Friday. He has to cut out that under hit side foot short pass stuff. I expect him to play on Tuesday and I don't expect to see a repeat of the 3 glaring errors (one of which he made up for immediately with a great sliding block) again. Against Algeria he was very solid and I can't remember him giving the ball away the way he did on Friday night.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The underhit pass... I always felt a discipline Roy Keane had was to put too much weight on passes, if anything, on the basis that a) Over hit was better than under hit and b) if the recpipient failed to trap/control it then it's his fault!!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    http://www.examiner.ie/sport/soccer/...un-129967.html

"And I think in the last season with Pat’s I just thought, ‘right, I’m going to have a good season’ because a couple of my close friends were telling me to look at something else, apart from football. So I said, ‘right, I’ll give it one more bash.’ And luckily enough, I got another shout."
    That was a fair 'ol bash he gave it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Mentioned working with him at Arsenal, that he couldn't settle in London and moved onto Villa and eventually back to the LOI with St Pat's. Said that it shows that you can still make a successful career for yourself as a footballer if you do fall out of the Academy/Reserve system.
    Sorry only getting back to this now. Thanks for that. I wouldn't read anything negative into what Brady said, I heard lots of positive stuff when Keith moved back to Ireland. Brady tried as hard as he could to keep him at Arsenal, and tried again when he left Villa. There was no fall out, I'm nearly certain of that. He's right too about further potential - he's 27, the only way he'll do anything different is if our formation changes, even then he's probably goosed to a degree. Delighted for him, hopefully his place in the squad is cemented, he offers us something very different.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast