Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Fahey

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    So you agree with my original point. Nice one. That wasn't so difficult now was it?

Why did you take 10 posts to rubbish a point you were in essence in agreement with. Do you ever hear voices in your head?
    All the time. That said, and I almost admire your dedication to refusing to admit it, to say that Roy O'Donovan has played 'almost a dozen games' for Dundee United (comparatively or otherwise that's misleading) and that he's not getting near their first XI is not correct or accurate. I now have to go to work. You have other posters to continue arguments with. I bid you good day.
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    where are the goalposts gone?! Oh wait look they've been moved down behind the shed

than not then.

In fairness YI, nobody calls it the EPL, the EPL is what the yanks call the premiership. I dont think ppl have gone on about fahey like others in the past, not in this forum anyway, in the EL forum I'm sure they would all have a go at ye and say he should be captain of ireland <fair point neil>. The original post was about having a look at him for those who normally wouldn't get to see him play, such as myself for example. I have to say he played very well in teh first game, but one game does not a great player make, though you are only as good as your last game.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 30/09/2008 at 11:27 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Fahey's a better passer of the ball then ANYONE in the Irish squad. He has loads of faults though (like most Irish players) but the aboive who said he goes missing in games is just plain lying. If anything he tries too hard sometimes and not everything he tries works out for him. I wouldn't pick him in my Ireland squad

BTW Ireland legend Joe O'Cearuill is our 5th choice centre half.
    First of all, I seem to remember you lauding O'Cearuill when he first joined Pat's. It doesn't even look he will even have a career in football now.

Secondly, I would take either of the Reid's over Fahey anyday. They have played at the highest level. Fahey on the otherhand looks good in what is basically a League 2 team.

Reminds me of when Cork fans wanted Joe Gamble playing for Ireland. He got his chance, but didn't have the quality in the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    I would have McCann in well before the likes of Fahey as would most sane people.
    Your opinion of McCann is based on what you read on Burnley's fans forum. Objectivity is what your opinion is missing.

Consider the choices, a 25 year old never will be who was deemed surplus to requirements at both Arsenal and Aston Villa who is unlikely to improve as he should now be close to this peak or a just turned 21 year old who is lighting up the Championship in England thus far with his appearances and could easily be playing in the Premiership by this stage next year.

MMmmmm let me see. Decisions, decisions.
    The decision is quite simple to me - pick both. I'm pointing out that Fahy is more deserving of a place in the B squad than 3 other players (Potter, Gibson and Rowlands).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    in the EL forum I'm sure they would all have a go at ye and say he should be captain of ireland but not in here where we have more realistic posters

Evidence? Or you showing your usual biases again?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well said Paul except for the little dig at the El forum. I like Fahey I think he is the best midfielder in the League of Ireland and he would deserve a place in the Ireland B squad and so would Mc Cann and so would O Toole.

Enjoy his performance tonight as I hope he produces. He has certainly improved over the last 2 years big time but he still has the trait of running out of a bit of steam, and maybe thats cause he tries too hard. But that is only a small complaint. Is he good enough for the full Ireland squad, no would be my opinion, but neither is Liam Miller.
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 30/09/2008 at 11:34 AM.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    In the same way as many on here were stating that Roy O'Donovan was a fine player and the best by a distance in the EPL last season? Yes that same Roy O'Donovan who can't even get into the first 11 for Dundee United and hasn't scored a single goals for them in nearly a dozen appearances.

Or possibly as fine a player as Alan Bennett? Yes that same Alan Bennett who was never good enough to get break into the Reading first team and was quickly loaned out to lower league teams where he still looked shockingly bad.

Or maybe as fine as Jason Byrne? Yes that same Jason Byrne that couldn't break into the Cardiff first team and was promptly sold on at the first opportunity.

Perhaps even as fine as Dave Mooney. Yes that same Dave Mooney, ah f**k it you know the rest.

The only quality player that has come from the EPL in recent years is Doyle. The rest have in rare cases at best been very average (Murphy) or more generally been complete sh*t (see above).

Keith Fahey me balls.

The thrust of this argument is correct but you are abit inaccurate about Roy O' Donovan. He was injured until recently according to Craig Levein, he will have a job getting back in the team though because Jon Daly played well at the weekend and they have a few other strikers there pushing to be in the team. For those who say he wasnt a big player in the eircom league he was joint second top scorer in spite of leaving a bit over half way through the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Forward this thread to anyone who disputes that Skyreland fans are ignorant about football.

Fahey is actually too good for Skyreland and the Premiership in that neither have any use for classical playmakers. He'd probably be plonked on the right wing and touch the ball about twice (although he could still win games with his set-pieces alone.)

No way is Andy Reid a better passer of the ball. Andy Reid is just the fat man's Wes Hoolahan.
    Deluded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceirtlis View Post
    For those who say he wasnt a big player in the eircom league he was joint second top scorer in spite of leaving a bit over half way through the season.
    So? Did you count how any of them were penalties? He was a good LOI player but there's no way he was ever going to be good enough for a club the size of Sunderland.
    ---

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    YI, always posts like that, why is he being banned now for it, the end is futile but I still feel I should make the case.

Evidence, I cant even find the bloody EL forum anymore so there isn't much chance of me finding any

In the forum in the past there were calls for various players when plying their trade in the EL to be playing for Ireland, merited maybe, maybe not, but most realistic candidates got their chances and didnt prove it when they got it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    In the forum in the past there were calls for various players when plying their trade in the EL to be playing for Ireland, merited maybe, maybe not, but most realistic candidates got their chances and didnt prove it when they got it.
    Different people though. Once agin showing you lump all LOI fans together. Some think some players should eb in, others disagree. No one loves Fahey as a player more than me and I don't think he should be in the Ireland squad

Oh and as for "giving their chance", only 2 LOI players have been at international level in the last 20 years.
    ---

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Different people though. Once agin showing you lump all LOI fans together. Some think some players should eb in, others disagree. No one loves Fahey as a player more than me and I don't think he should be in the Ireland squad

Oh and as for "giving their chance", only 2 LOI players have been at international level in the last 20 years.
    where did i say "giving their chance", ill slap my wrist if i did, or if i used "then" instead of "than", etc.

Dodge, you argue for the EL as a whole and rightly so, but you also argue based on you not wanting to be "lumped" in with other EL posters who have unrelastic expectations that should be managed expectations, I wouldn't consider every single poster to be the same, but the majority ( or maybe just the loudest )of threads on the forum that are about players that should be playing or given a chance, are very active.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Paul,

There is a long list of Premiership and Championship players that got their chance at international level and "didn't make it". Where you play your football obviously is an important factor in determining whether a particular player is international standard or not, but disregarding the future prospects of LOI players simply because they play in Ireland and what happened in the past is foolish.

I know you have limited knowledge of domestic football (and that you're really a GAA fan) so I'll go easy on you. But FYI quite a significant number of our U21, B and senior squads are/ or have been with LOI clubs.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    There is a long list of Premiership and Championship players that got their chance at international level and "didn't make it". Where you play your football obviously is an important factor in determining whether a particular player is international standard or not, but disregarding the future prospects of LOI players simply because they play in Ireland and what happened in the past is foolish.
    of course.

Ok thanks IFk101, much appreciated.

I'm really a ping pong fan actually.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Fahey is a very good player, but I didnt actually think he was Pats best player in the first leg, thought that Dempsey played better than him on the day. Looking forward to seeing him again tonight though against some top opposition. The problem is though that he isnt playing against this standard of player regularly enough to be regarded as a realistic option to make the national team at the moment.There is a big step up from playing Galway United, Finn Harps, Cobh, Sligo,UCD etc to playing Italy or Bulgaria.
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 30/09/2008 at 12:20 PM.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    So? Did you count how any of them were penalties? He was a good LOI player but there's no way he was ever going to be good enough for a club the size of Sunderland.
    2 were penalties. You should be able to figure out why I say he was a top eircom league player based on what i said in the previous post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    just to throw another name in there what about Sean Dillon at least getting into the B squad considering Finnan and Kelly are doubts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post

Secondly, I would take either of the Reid's over Fahey anyday. They have played at the highest level. Fahey on the otherhand looks good in what is basically a League 2 team.
    Do you have any other frame of reference other than English football , its quite grating really

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    BTW i suppose everybody remembers Wes Houlihan's performances in Europe for Shels. He has still had to prove himself in England with Blackpool and Norwich before being considered. Unfortunately the same has to apply for Keith Fahey. Consistant performances at a higher level are the only way to merit an international level. By the way i wouldn't consider Blackpool a higher level but he put himself in the shop window by playing there. One or two performances are not enough to merit an international call up im sorry.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Do you have any other frame of reference other than English football , its quite grating really
    In fairness the other two play in England so that is the best way of making a comparison between Fahey and them.

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast