Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FAI Cup

Galway United vs Cork/Derry

St Pats vs Bohs

-----------------------------------

Galway get a big gate so it will help them. I really don't want Galway to qualify for Europe, it would be dreadful for the league

I think it could be Galway vs Cork which will be a hard game for Cork there.

I would love to see Pats win it at a packed RDS but they have a terrible cup record and Bohs have a great record at Inchicore.

2 exciting semi finals.

Is the Derry-Cork match live on TV, should be a few goals in that one?
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post

St Pats vs Bohs

-----------------------------------

Galway get a big gate so it will help them. I really don't want Galway to qualify for Europe, it would be dreadful for the league

I think it could be Galway vs Cork which will be a hard game for Cork there.

I would love to see Pats win it at a packed RDS but they have a terrible cup record and Bohs have a great record at Inchicore.

2 exciting semi finals.

Nope, match tomorrow night is not on TV. Feel free to make the short trip across the border and come support us though.

Both semi-finals will be on TV, if we went through it would be some night in Galway, especially given it's a bank holiday weekend afaik. Before the draw I just wanted Galway and Cork to be out of the running as a cup win for Bohs or Pats would mean a UEFA Cup spot would drop down a place in the league. As it is, either could still reach the final.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    The only way Galway united can qualify for UFEA cup is to win the cup as Ufea cup rules have ben changed.(not 100% on this)

Under old UFEA Cup rules
    If galway get to final and loose as bohs and pats will be in europe through the league, galway utd would have UFEA cup spot

Under New UFEA Cup rules
    If galway get to final and loose as bohs and pats will be in europe through the league,the next highest in legue would get UFEA Cup( as changes state that no runner of the cup will be in Ufea cup.

These rules come into effect from 2009 so its not 100% certin that the new rules will be enforced in FAI cup these season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainee View Post
    The only way Galway united can qualify for UFEA cup is to win the cup as Ufea cup rules have ben changed.(not 100% on this)

Under old UFEA Cup rules
    If galway get to final and loose as bohs and pats will be in europe through the league, galway utd would have UFEA cup spot

Under New UFEA Cup rules
    If galway get to final and loose as bohs and pats will be in europe through the league,the next highest in legue would get UFEA Cup( as changes state that no runner of the cup will be in Ufea cup.

These rules come into effect from 2009 so its not 100% certin that the new rules will be enforced in FAI cup these season
    Hardly makes a difference as we'll win the cup anyway!

In the old rules we'd only have qualified if we lost to the Champions. If we lost to Pat's they'd qualify as the cup winners and the extra place would go to the league.

As for people hoping we wouldn't qualify - we're the only club with a 100% record in Europe. Harps lost 12-0 to Derby (16-1 on aggregate) - they only got about 2 points in the Premier League last season!
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    we're the only club with a 100% record in Europe.
    I can just see that being written into your IAG presentation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    Hardly makes a difference as we'll win the cup anyway!

In the old rules we'd only have qualified if we lost to the Champions. If we lost to Pat's they'd qualify as the cup winners and the extra place would go to the league.

As for people hoping we wouldn't qualify - we're the only club with a 100% record in Europe. Harps lost 12-0 to Derby (16-1 on aggregate) - they only got about 2 points in the Premier League last season!
    Still we wouldn't want a 1st division team playing in Europe now would we unless your friends in the FAI will relegate a few teams above you just so that you are not relegated. Football should be played on the pitch, not in some FAI boardroom

Also, is it a coincidence that you keep getting home ties in the cup competitions, I DON'T THINK SO
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Also, is it a coincidence that you keep getting home ties in the cup competitions, I DON'T THINK SO
    Doesn't bother us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    Doesn't bother us.
    Yes, especially since Cork are your bogey team 1-4 Cork tonight!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Yes, especially since Cork are your bogey team 1-4 Cork tonight!
    Yeah, I'm far more worried about this game than I was about our last two. Don't get me wrong, the 6-1 win in Wexford was brilliant and the terrace in the second half was great craic ("Wallace give us a wave...") but this is the kind of game where the nerves kick in hours before, and where every tackle and chance will be met by cheers and roars. And if we score the place will be mental. We're due a win though...hopefully.

(OT) I went on my first date with my girlfriend the night Cork beat us 4-1 in Brandywell (I wouldn't have made the game anyway, as I was based in Dublin). Halfway through an impeccably behaved and otherwise impressive performance I checked my mobile for the score...my mouth must have hit the floor but it recoved quickly enough to unleash a barrage of profanities and swearing at my mobile screen before looking up again and saying through gritted teeth with a glazed look on my eyes, "No, nothing's wrong at all..."
    Last edited by thischarmingman; 30/09/2008 at 5:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nice prediction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    And once again the clash of Galway and Derry in a semi-cupfinal (remember league cup)!

Because of Corks knockout against Derry tonight in a dramatically penalty-shootout!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

The new rules.

Im pretty sure the new rules for qualifying for the UEFA(Europa Cup) cup dont kick in(pardon the pun) till next season.That would be 09-10 season.So this is the last year it can happen that we(Utd) could scab a UEFA cup place if we lose to Bohs.Its a huge IF though,id prefer if this game was away from home.In saying that though the only games weve won at home this season were cup games so heres hoping for one more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Just posting this now after the Derry V Cork game.

It's just as well either Derry,Cork or Galway are in the final as it means there will be a good attendance for the final in the RDS as Dublin teams have been outnumbered 3/1 in recent finals by "country teams"

In 2006............. "Derry played St Pats at Landsdown Rd and 12,000 from Derry showed up making the 290mile return journey while St Pats could only muster up 3,000 to travel the 1.5 mile trip across town."

A famous sad quote!!!!!
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Well done on the crowd. 12,000 there alst night?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Well done on the crowd. 12,000 there alst night?
    You are probaly the worst supported team in Dublin, so i wouldn't be questioning any other teams about their support. Richardson said on MNS that most people wanted a Dublin team and a country team to meet in the final, as it would be the better final. If there were to be two Dublin teams in the final to get a crowd numbering more than 10000 they would have to let half of them in free, or almost free, like Pats have to do to get a crowd.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derry View Post
    You are probaly the worst supported team in Dublin, so i wouldn't be questioning any other teams about their support. Richardson said on MNS that most people wanted a Dublin team and a country team to meet in the final, as it would be the better final. If there were to be two Dublin teams in the final to get a crowd numbering more than 10000 they would have to let half of them in free, or almost free, like Pats have to do to get a crowd.
    Yes, our crowds are poor. No question. All LOI crowds are. I'd love more but apparently ours is the highest average outside of Cork and Derry.

I was asking how many of the 12,000 you're bringing to the cup final were there last night?
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hope for a Pats Derry final or Bohs Derry final as Derry should bring a huge crowd and atmosphere to the RDS. I think Galway have a pretty good record against Derry though drawing twice this season with Muckers if memory serves me correctly.

It would be great to see the RDS packed for a good cup final.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    Im pretty sure the new rules for qualifying for the UEFA(Europa Cup) cup dont kick in(pardon the pun) till next season.That would be 09-10 season.So this is the last year it can happen that we(Utd) could scab a UEFA cup place if we lose to Bohs.Its a huge IF though,id prefer if this game was away from home.In saying that though the only games weve won at home this season were cup games so heres hoping for one more.
    It does come in for the 2009-10 UEFA Europa League alright but the qualifiers for this are from the 2008 LOI season, not the 2009 LOI season. Therefore Galway United would have to win the FAI Cup to qualify for Europe, losing finalist wouldn't be enough.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Apparently UEFA have rejected the proposal to take that losing cup finalist spot away, so the status quo remains. A good decision IMO
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Apparently UEFA have rejected the proposal to take that losing cup finalist spot away, so the status quo remains. A good decision IMO
    I didn't hear that, thanks Dodge.. Yeah it is a good decision alright.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast