Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bulgaria - Italy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Both our rivals dropping two points is obviously good for us.
    "Football is a game you play with your brain".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report
    It benefits us if Italy beat everyone and drop no points. Then it is between us and Bulgaria for second. Now we're in a position where we need to get points off of the world champions. Terrible result today for us.
    We'd have to take points off them anyway.

Assuming Italy win on Wednesday, we will still be 3 points behind them. If we win the next 2 home games, and rack up a few goals, we will be top going into the crunch spring programme.

I am aware that with Trap in charge, we are unlikely to rack up many goals, but we have Cyprus on Wednesday, and we owe them geezers a hiding.

Anyone running away with the group, is bad news for everyone else in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    In truth, a dreadful game of football, no team deserved the win and the 0-0 was flattering to both sides.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    In truth, a dreadful game of football, no team deserved the win and the 0-0 was flattering to both sides.
    Personally I would dock both teams a point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    We should aim to win the group. Looking for second place is par with Staunton saying we dont expect to qualify for this one but we have a great chance of qualifying for the next one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Agreed, sure who's to say we'll win the play-off game anyway!!. Hopefully they draw again when they meet in Italy
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Definately aim to top the group... this is the attitude we need, and im sure trap is trying to drill into the irish players

"It disappoints me that I didn't win the World Cup. People say 'but Roy, you played for Ireland, you were never going to win the World Cup'. I never saw it like that"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    People seem to be ruling Cyrpus out of the mix too easily. They will cause problems for everyone in this group, in paticular in Nicosia. Was not impressed with either bulgaria or italy tonight but I am delighted with the start we have made, the shape and plan we seem to have under Trap and we would be in a great position going into the crucial games home vs bulgaria and away vs italy in March/april if we take maximum points from our next two home ties. Montenegro will be a very difficult side to beat at home also and dont rule out the fact that both Bulgaria and Italy have trips to Tbilisi which we have avoided. There are no "gimmies" in international football any more, we above all should know that.
    Last edited by Saint Tom; 12/10/2008 at 2:46 PM.
    Camac Ultras North Terrace Section

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    We should aim to win the group. Looking for second place is par with Staunton saying we dont expect to qualify for this one but we have a great chance of qualifying for the next one.
    Dunne said Trap wants 7 points from the next 3 games. Right now I'll be disappointed with anything other than 9 tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Tardelli said he would have liked Italy to win. I honestly don't see that big of a difference between no points and a measly 1 point won at home.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    You get the sense that both Trap and Tardelli don't want a showdown between us and Italy for top spot, that we won't win that showdown and that we are better off if Italy wins all around them.
    There is an element of fear there, that did not exist with Charlton re England.
    What Trap and Tardelli need are a few chips on their shoulders about the disgraceful and humiliating way they were treated by the Italy FA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    It benefits us if Italy beat everyone and drop no points. Then it is between us and Bulgaria for second. Now we're in a position where we need to get points off of the world champions. Terrible result today for us.
    This is a silly way of looking at it. Why should we view the group as Italys already. They are never the greatest in qualifying campaigns, and have started this bad. It would be wrong of us just to settle for second place. Remember that one 2nd place team does not make the playoffs and looking at the difficult nature of our group, its a god chance that worst second place team may be from our group

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Tardelli said he would have liked Italy to win. I honestly don't see that big of a difference between no points and a measly 1 point won at home.
    He added this aso.

Tardelli said: 'I would have preferred Italy to win, because Bulgaria would have stayed on one point. But it is also good. But we need to beat every team to finish first, also Italy
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    It was a good result for us, both teams played poorly and the fact that Bulgaria seemed happy from early on to settle for a point is interesting. But we have to pick up the points, other results help only if we do the business and it is very early days yet. If slip up against Cyprus then we are under pressure.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    You get the sense that both Trap and Tardelli don't want a showdown between us and Italy for top spot, that we won't win that showdown and that we are better off if Italy wins all around them.
    There is an element of fear there, that did not exist with Charlton re England.
    I agree with this. I hope I'm wrong but I get the impression Trap and co. feel like we are good for a play-off place at best. Charlton always said his biggest regret was never beating England at Wembley. I don't think beating Italy at home or away is something that Trappatoni believes Ireland can do. I think he even said that he'd like Italy to win all their games except those against Ireland, which he'd like them to draw. I don't like the idea of playing for a home draw against anybody. That being said what Trap says and what Trap feels maybe 2 different things. But his proposed target of 7 points from the next 9 puzzles me, especially because he knows that to even gain a play-off place we need to out perform Bulgaria, and that means beating them at home because dropped points against Cyprus or Georgia at home would be a disaster.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    bulgaria will be 3 points, we will be 7 on wednesday if we win and bulgaria draw again. It has to be good for us. hopefully thats the outcome come wednesday.

we need to hope italy slip up again though, so that they have to beat us in croke park.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The Italian press seemed happy enough:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...bulgaria-italy
    Together with all our hearts.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    The Italian football association have banned their fans from travelling to away games and FIFA have launched an investigation into the violence at the Bulgaria game. I just wonder if the Italian football association have taken this action because they may have already been warned about behaviour of Italian fans in club competitions around Italy and Europe... Is there any danger of them being thrown out of the competition and getting a ban??? FIFA probably wont go that far but it might be a developing story in this group
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Is there any danger of them being thrown out of the competition and getting a ban???
    In a word - No.
    Together with all our hearts.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345