72 Posts
    2 nil Andy Keogh 62 mins

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thumbs down

About 3700 people there.Seen a grown man (Irish) in a forest jersey talk about supporting your country(Ok maybe not as 8 players in the squad are English),few Irish kids in forest gear aswell.
    Last edited by Bohemian1890; 09/10/2008 at 9:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How did we play?

Did anyone stand out?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Convinced they gave the attendance as 4,000 and something. Think it was 4040, or 4004, couldn't hear properly. Could have been 4014.

The team as an organised unit stood out. The defence stayed together and didn't allow a lot of space. The central midfield tackled hard and sprayed the ball out to the wings, and the strikers tried to score. Simple, yet brilliant.
    Ward was in front of me in the first half, and he was solid. Won back possession, and passed it either across the back 4, or to Wes Hoolahan in front of him.
    Hoolahan didn't do a lot I thought, lost possession frequently. He wasn't able to cope with the physical side of Forest's game.
    For all the criticism of Alex Bruce, he justified his selection with some telling clearances.
    Andrews impressed me the most in midfield, hard tackling, closing down, simple passes. Pretty much what you want from a defensive central midfielder.
    Keogh played better than I expected on the right wing, and took his goal well from a low cross at the near post from Long.
    Folan had one chance and scored, Stokes had a chance about 5 minutes earlier from the exact same spot, and hit the keeper. Stokes seemed to be doing too much, trying to beat 2 or 3 players before shooting, when the simple shot was on much earlier.
    Westwood made a magnificant save with about 10 minutes to go to keep a clean sheet, but the game was as good as over at that point.
    Scannell was tightly marked when he came on, seemed to be 2 players on him as soon as he got the ball. Did a backheel which nutmegged the player marking him, which made everyone around me applaud. When he was warming up, some of the lads around me were chanting "Scannell, Scannell, give us a wave", so he did. If nothing else, it endeared him to the crowd.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 10/10/2008 at 2:28 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I missed the first 20 minutes but the team wasn't the one announced. Stokes started up front instead of Long and Gibson started, not Potter. Gibson didn't do much in midfield. Andrews seemed to have most of the ball.

We played with 10 men for the last 15 minutes or so. I didn't see who went off but there was no replacement. I think I saw Foley with the armband so I guess it was Bruce that went off. If so we had no actual centre half on the pitch because we went 3-5-1 when Garvan came on. I think Treacy covered at left back with Long dropping to left midfield.

Anyway, it's a pity I didn't realise Gibson was on the pitch until the 2nd half because he'd be a player I'd want to watch closely. I just presumed it was Potter.

Long was excellent I thought. He played very like Doyle and for such a small guy he was winning plenty in the air.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Yeah, it was Bruce that went off with no substitute coming on
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Bruce went off alright, they called from the bench and told him to come off. He didnt look injured, probably had some sort of knock and they were saving him.
    Not much of a game really, very little atmosphere, some players did well, Gibson i thought was purposeful in the first half and Long played well when he came on. Folan took his goal well. Nottingham Forest didnt bother their ****** though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceirtlis View Post
    Nottingham Forest didnt bother their ****** though.
    I think the fact that so many of our players were average or not at their best and still won comfortably says it all. Also, our defence for the last 15 minutes consisted of 2 right backs and a left winger. Forest were rubbish.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 09/10/2008 at 11:30 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Good report Tets, you have the knack of just telling us what we need to know

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I was just thinking, where is youngirish these days?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Good report Tets, you have the knack of just telling us what we need to know
    Thanks, I've read enough match reports that left out what I wanted to know, so I just try to put everything I cna think of into a report that I'm going to write!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I thought gibson did well. He had moved well down the pecking roder i nth epast 12 months but looked good last night.

Keogh had a good game. foley was good going forward. Folan ahs to be an option now for the senior side. He would unsettle defences. more mobile than I expected.

Hard to judge the defence.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    I though Ward and Foley were solid, Foley giving more going forward. Bruce and O'Dea were OK, I though Bruce's distribution was awful at times. Hoolahan was very disappointing, never got to grips with the game, we really lacked width. Kehoe took his goal well and was lively. Gibson and Andrews were easily on top without being spectacular, Andrews the more impressive. Folan took his goal very well and Stokes looked our most dangerous player, only problem was he missed a great chance and took too much out of the ball at times. Long looked lively when he came on and the left wing looked more dangerous when Treacy was there. Rowlands looked solid, Scannell looked quick and potentially very dangerous. Westwood made one good save. Was a pity Garvan didn't get more time and he ended up on the left where he was a bit lost, tried to pick out a few excellent passes.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah a hard game to assess really. Folan is an option as he is big strong and pacy and took his goal well so he is certainly and option and I would no problem if Trap brings him into the squad having assessed him in training.

Andrews did we in midfield in that he got his tackles in and kept it simple and a lot bigger in the flesh than I thought he was. There was no central midfielder all night that had a stamp of class and Garvan was wasted on the wing when he came on and then on the left of a 3 also. He does have an awkward run about him but it was a pity as any time I have seen him at under-age I have been impressed with him.

Ward has bulked up something serious since leaving Bohs and he was solid as was Foley at right back.

Keogh was probably man of the match though for being a constant threat to Forest and for taking his goal well. Forest were rubbish.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Yeah a hard game to assess really. Folan is an option as he is big strong and pacy and took his goal well so he is certainly and option and I would no problem if Trap brings him into the squad having assessed him in training.

Andrews did we in midfield in that he got his tackles in and kept it simple and a lot bigger in the flesh than I thought he was. There was no central midfielder all night that had a stamp of class and Garvan was wasted on the wing when he came on and then on the left of a 3 also. He does have an awkward run about him but it was a pity as any time I have seen him at under-age I have been impressed with him.

Ward has bulked up something serious since leaving Bohs and he was solid as was Foley at right back.

Keogh was probably man of the match though for being a constant threat to Forest and for taking his goal well. Forest were rubbish.
    I'd agree with Keogh man of the match but he had acres of space to play in. Hoolahan had just as much space but didn't make the same impact. As you said, Forest were terrible.
    All you zombies tweet tweet tweet.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Any video of this game at all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    There was a camera in front of me for about 15-20 minutes of the second half, before he moved on to another part of the ground. Might be something on MNS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Report from RTE: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/...tv_tod_av.html
    Stokes' miss doesn't look as bad as I thought. From where I was sitting, he looked a lot closer to the net

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456