Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First match at Lansdowne - opponents? poll

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SalvadorSanchez View Post
    Very astute.... but it ****es me off people using "we" for English teams,
    really if you're not English, don't live in England, you're not in the squad, not even a professional footballer and you're still using "we" to describe a team that you've probably never seen play except on telly...you're a Tosser...

It might put it into perspective for people that English club teams are not "OUR" teams.. we have our own league and there's a league of Ireland club within 50kms of almost any point in the country..... (This republic of ours)

Let's support our country and our league... there's nothing wrong with keeping up with English sides or going to the odd games... but they're not fundamentally "our" teams....and we need to realise this, playing against England and all the needle it entails... might make one person think.. and that enough for me... (I'm an intellectual don't you know...)

Therefore if people use WE for english teams... I have the same right to say;
    "I really hope that the yanks or Israelis don't bomb our nuclear processing plant in Isfahan here in the Islamic Republic of Iran... We're perfectly entitled to our Nuclear programme under IAEA rules..."
    really?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    really?
    C'mon now.... where's the love?....
    innit though??

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Have to agree with you there. I hate that WE reference!!!

There are 2 mates of mine who have openly admitted that they would rather see Man United/Liverpool win the Champions League than see Ireland qualify for the World Cup/European Championships because they "follow their club on a weekly basis so they have more of a desire for them to do well"!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Very astute.... but it ****es me off people using "we" for English teams,
    really if you're not English, don't live in England, you're not in the squad, not even a professional footballer and you're still using "we" to describe a team that you've probably never seen play except on telly...you're a Tosser...

It might put it into perspective for people that English club teams are not "OUR" teams.. we have our own league and there's a league of Ireland club within 50kms of almost any point in the country..... (This republic of ours)

Let's support our country and our league... there's nothing wrong with keeping up with English sides or going to the odd games... but they're not fundamentally "our" teams....and we need to realise this, playing against England and all the needle it entails... might make one person think.. and that enough for me... (I'm an intellectual don't you know...

Therefore if people use WE for english teams... I have the same right to say;
    "I really hope that the yanks or Israelis don't bomb our nuclear processing plant in Isfahan here in the Islamic Republic of Iran... We're perfectly entitled to our Nuclear programme under IAEA rules..."
    jasus who p*ssed in your corn flakes this mornin? amazin how the EL paranoia gets in everywhere. this thread is about who WE (ireland) should be playing in OUR 1st game at OUR new stadium and youve managed to turn it into EL v EPL,im sure there is enough threads on that subject somewhere,if youre that bothered go and find them.

back on topic - i think England would be a great shout,the history the 2 countries have (non football and +football) would make for a great match and atmosphere. obviously the security thing is a major factor though. so as a 2nd choice,i would go for the Spanish.

now - i wonder if WE will beat Crewe tonight....

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    jasus who p*ssed in your corn flakes this mornin? amazin how the EL paranoia gets in everywhere. this thread is about who WE (ireland) should be playing in OUR 1st game at OUR new stadium and youve managed to turn it into EL v EPL,im sure there is enough threads on that subject somewhere,if youre that bothered go and find them.

back on topic - i think England would be a great shout,the history the 2 countries have (non football and +football) would make for a great match and atmosphere. obviously the security thing is a major factor though. so as a 2nd choice,i would go for the Spanish.

What school did you go to??English teacher must have been great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Ah come on now..... The first friendly should be against England because it would mean something!! and as for LOI V EPL... my first comment was a joke and someone made a big deal so I had to respond...
    it's a fact of life that more Irish people follow English clubs than Irish clubs and we need to accept it but let's not forget who we are and where we come from.. there are local clubs in our communities that contribute to our communities etc. just think some people need a bit of perspective... I'm not saying that people should be made go to LOI games or anything crazy like that, it would be nice for people to acknowledge that we have a change to progress as a footballing nation if we get more support from the community... look what at the Drogs and St. Pats recently... we can go forward if people give the league and chance and not kid ourselves into thinking we're scousers and mancs etc.
    innit though??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny82 View Post
    Have to agree with you there. I hate that WE reference!!!

There are 2 mates of mine who have openly admitted that they would rather see Man United/Liverpool win the Champions League than see Ireland qualify for the World Cup/European Championships because they "follow their club on a weekly basis so they have more of a desire for them to do well"!!!
    BAM! Case closed!!!!! Go raibh maith agat Lenny82
    innit though??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I'd like to see Argentina. We rarely play them and they're good to watch.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Argentina, not a bad call that, good side, and probably plenty of away fans as there's loads of them around Europe, they'd bring a bit of a vibe as they say...
    innit though??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Argentina get my vote, with maybe a special presentation to Diego for the greatest goal ever scored, Combat 18 lads would love it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Media reports suggest Autumn 2010 as the opening for the Stadium. At least in the Football pages.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...773888743.html
    "The timing of the FAI's arrival on the market also looks, to say the least, a little unfortunate but both the FAI and their advisers were adamant yesterday that the vast majority of the tickets being offered will have been sold by the time the stadium opens its doors for business in the autumn of 2010."

Set up a friendly with the African Nations Champions (or most promising team from the Jan/Feb 2010 tournament) and then hope they also win the Summer Tournament aswell. Easy Job. Angola is Developing.

Otherwise (1) Wales, (2) Spain, (3) Poland. Normal.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian1890 View Post
    What school did you go to??English teacher must have been great.
    great post - wonderful insight...yaaaaaaaaawn.

i wasnt aware there was a certain IQ someone should have to post here. you got the point of my post didnt you?

now either reply intelligently (as only you would) or go back to NASA brain box....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ah come on now..... The first friendly should be against England because it would mean something!! and as for LOI V EPL... my first comment was a joke and someone made a big deal so I had to respond...
    it's a fact of life that more Irish people follow English clubs than Irish clubs and we need to accept it but let's not forget who we are and where we come from.. there are local clubs in our communities that contribute to our communities etc. just think some people need a bit of perspective... I'm not saying that people should be made go to LOI games or anything crazy like that, it would be nice for people to acknowledge that we have a change to progress as a footballing nation if we get more support from the community... look what at the Drogs and St. Pats recently... we can go forward if people give the league and chance and not kid ourselves into thinking we're scousers and mancs etc.
    point taken on the EPL subject. i dont go to games but i do take an interest in the games on tele and was screamin at the box when Drogs nearly put out Kiev...would have loved that as much as Ireland winnin a game. although im sick of losin out in the bookies on the EL - fookin unpredictable!! bad Karma i suppose for not going to games

back on topic though - yeh the Argies are a great shout if its not England.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    There is 0% it will be England, which I appreciate is different to which team you would like to play. The media would have a field day. It would be like having a party in your old house and a particular guest wrecks the place. Then you spend a fortune renovating the house and you invite back the same guest. Won't happen
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    C'mon now.... where's the love?....
    this isnt that kind of website thanks. try maybefriends.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    There is 0% it will be England, It would be like having a party in your old house and a particular guest wrecks the place. Then you spend a fortune renovating the house and you invite back the same guest. Won't happen
    One thing is for certain at some stage in the future England will play in D4 , so why not get it out of the way

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post
    One thing is for certain at some stage in the future England will play in D4 , so why not get it out of the way
    Get it out of the way when we're drawn against them. Giving them the honour of the stadium's first opponents bestows on them the suggestion that they are any good. They couldn't qualify from a group in which the team that came second lost 7-1 to Spain over two games, FFS. Even we wouldn't manage that!

The only people who want them over - apart from the ultra weekend provo lobby - are these self - proclaimed 'footballing' snobs who thinks the Premiership is the bees knees. For them I'd say get yourself another Ryanair flight to London and a ticket to the next England game and you can enjoy yourselves there.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez View Post
    Get it out of the way when we're drawn against them. Giving them the honour of the stadium's first opponents bestows on them the suggestion that they are any good. They couldn't qualify from a group in which the team that came second lost 7-1 to Spain over two games, FFS. Even we wouldn't manage that!

The only people who want them over - apart from the ultra weekend provo lobby - are these self - proclaimed 'footballing' snobs who thinks the Premiership is the bees knees. For them I'd say get yourself another Ryanair flight to London and a ticket to the next England game and you can enjoy yourselves there.
    what are you talkin about?? I would like to see us play them because i would love to see us beat them in our 1st game in the new stadium. the stadium would be buzzing,the match would mean something. rather than some Brazilian freindly where its all quiet with shag all atmosphere and we cant even touch the ball. did you see how Croker was when we played and beat them in the Ruggers. when was the last time we had a home game with that kind of buzz? Holland in 2001 id say.
    nothing to do with provos or the love of seeing Premiership players. get your head out of the sand will you? out of interest - who would you like to see?? maybe an EL eleven play or something coz then its PURELY IRISH??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    nothing to do with provos or the love of seeing Premiership players
    So why would you love to see us beat them then?

Lopez is spot on (and even he wouldn't consider himself a LOI fan)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    So why would you love to see us beat them then?

Lopez is spot on (and even he wouldn't consider himself a LOI fan)
    If you were to name one country above all others that you would want Ireland to beat , who would it be ???????

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast