Thread: Chris McCann (D/M Shams b.1987)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Jamie Mc Carthy
    Of course, thanks. I knew I was missing someone important!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    McCann was again in impressive form for the Clarets last night in their win over Premiership Fulham. Player ratings here by the Burnley fans:

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fm...mid=2128290199

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    That's a bit odd, he's not as highly rated on the Sky Sports fan ratings: http://www.skysports.com/football/us...060512,00.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I cut the comments on McCann from the link youngirish posted
    My airwaves man of the match goes to McCann.
    McCann 8 - a dominating display from a class midfield player.
    McCann 8 - excellent
    McCann - 8 - Good game
    McCann 7
    McCann - 8 MOM - Quality again, lads gonna be a good un. Should have scored with that header.
    McCann 7 - in and out, missed our best chance
    McCann just gets better and better can't wait for saturday.
    McCann...8...another fine performance from Chris and just needs a bit of composure when presented with free headers with only the keeper to beat.
    McCann 8 - Influential. Couple of good efforts first half. Dominant in the tackle.
    Gudjonsson 7 - Lots of running. Would rather see him sit a bit deeper and let McCann be the attacking option though.
    McCann 7 - Another good game tonight but should have finished the game with at least one goal.
    McCann 7 - Maybe should have scored, but looked sharp
    McCann (8) - Simply majestic.
    McCann 7 Looked good at times but got caught in possession a few times. Two good chances to score - should have done better with his header
    McCann 8 Real engine room game and got into several scoring positions too - another day he'd bagged two or three
    McCann 7 solid and workmanlike
    McCann 7 - good effort.
    McCann 9 - Dominating display
    McCann 6 - got into some good positions, finishing let him down
    McCann 7 - Excellent
    McCann 7 - ok generally but missed a couple of good chances
    McCann - 8 - Super first half, less dominant second. Should have scored, but it says something that he was our most likely marksman until Jay intervened.
    McCann - 8. Quality again. Up and down the pitch for the full 90 mins and looked the most likely to open the scoring all night.
    McCann 8 - nothing outstanding but looked a better player than any of their midfield on the night.
    McCann 8
    McCann - 9 - Excellent again. Looked like a premiership midfielder against some decent opposition.
    McCann 7 - Could have got a hatrick but i'd rather see him stick a strong foot in which he seems to have added a bit of to his game.
    McCann 7 - loses a mark for missing that header because in his current form that should be hitting the newt, otherwise very good.
    Paterson 9 - never gave the defenders a moment's rest. Like McCann, should have taken his chance in the 1st half. Otherwise, another excellent performance
    McCann 7
    McCann - 9 MOM - seemed to be everywhere
    McCann 9
    McCann 8- Keep it up.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    From http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...189566,00.html
    While Rodriguez took the plaudits for his goal, it was Dublin-born McCann's performance that took the manager's eye.

Coyle said: "Chris was outstanding. I believe he is good enough to play in the Premier League now. He has just got to keep doing it week in, week out.

"He has a lot of energy and he created three or four opportunities against a Premier League side full of good players.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Dont understand why the likes of Miller, Bruce, McShane (and even Whelan) are in the squad when we have better players with something to offer for the long term like McCann, Garvan, O'Toole, McCarthy, Walters, St Ledger being overlooked. Has Trap or Tardelli or Brady bothered looking at any of these players. If by some chance we qualify for South Africa I think we will regret not having integrated players who I believe will be playing in the premiership before long.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Dont understand why the likes of Miller, Bruce, McShane (and even Whelan) are in the squad when we have better players with something to offer for the long term like McCann, Garvan, O'Toole, McCarthy, Walters, St Ledger being overlooked. Has Trap or Tardelli or Brady bothered looking at any of these players. If by some chance we qualify for South Africa I think we will regret not having integrated players who I believe will be playing in the premiership before long.
    I agree 100%. It seems the average poster on here is far more clued up on who the promising young players are and who the journeymen no hopers are than Trap, Brady and certainly Stan ever were or will be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    selection is a matter of opinion. if hes good enough his time will come. wouldnt argue with trapps selections to date

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I have wondered if McCann would develop his game to the point where he could be looked upon as a credible candidate for our midfield.

Judging from his reviews you get the impression he still has to work at aspects of his game but is def getting better as he matures.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    selection is a matter of opinion. if hes good enough his time will come. wouldnt argue with trapps selections to date

Unfortunately Givens has the ear of Trap, so don't expect to see McCann anywhere near an Irish panel while this happens.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Unfortunately Givens has the ear of Trap, so don't expect to see McCann anywhere near an Irish panel while this happens.
    While there's no doubting McCann's talent, there are still only a limited number of places in the squad. All of Trapattoni's squads have had a 2 players for each position, so 4 central midfielders. If the likes of McCarthy, O'Toole, Gibson and Garvan continue to prosper and appear in squads at underage levels, it's going to be harder for McCann to get his chance. From the last squad Steven Reid is 27, Whelan is 24, Andy Reid is 26 and Liam Miller is 27. All can be expected to form part of the squad for the next 4-6 years minimum. Barring injury and suspension I'd suspect only Miller's place is up for grabs.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Dont understand why the likes of Miller, Bruce, McShane (and even Whelan) are in the squad when we have better players with something to offer for the long term like McCann, Garvan, O'Toole, McCarthy, Walters, St Ledger being overlooked.
    The only player I agree with you is Alex Bruce.

Chris McCann/Owen Garvan/John Joe O'Toole look like a talent and are doing well for themselves, but they really needs to get himself a top flight club if they want to compete with Glenn Whelan, the Reid's or Liam Miller.

James McCarthy is still a kid, let him prove himself in the SPL and under-21's before he gets called up to the senior squad.

Jon Walters is 25, still playing in the Championship and is not good enough.

St. Ledger has never played a game in the Premier League, until he does, I would take the likes of O'Shea or McShane.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    While there's no doubting McCann's talent, there are still only a limited number of places in the squad. All of Trapattoni's squads have had a 2 players for each position, so 4 central midfielders. If the likes of McCarthy, O'Toole, Gibson and Garvan continue to prosper and appear in squads at underage levels, it's going to be harder for McCann to get his chance. From the last squad Steven Reid is 27, Whelan is 24, Andy Reid is 26 and Liam Miller is 27. All can be expected to form part of the squad for the next 4-6 years minimum. Barring injury and suspension I'd suspect only Miller's place is up for grabs.
    I wouldn't be so sure, Steven Reid appears to be out for the Cyprus qualifier and he will miss lots more games as he is so injury prone. Miller, Reid and Whelan are not playing 1st team football. Trapp has already made his position pretty clear on Reid and I can't imagine he really sees much in Miller but he has given him enough starts to suggest he sees something.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Bunrley fans again raving about McCann's performance today against Preston. Considering he's only just turned 21 surely it's only a matter of time before he gets a move to the Premiership if (and this is the if) he continues this form until January. Link here:

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fm...mid=2128250654

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Bunrley fans again raving about McCann's performance today against Preston. Considering he's only just turned 21 surely it's only a matter of time before he gets a move to the Premiership if (and this is the if) he continues this form until January. Link here:

My goodness, they are raving about him.Garvan and McCann our future super midifeld, wih McCarthy to come on as sub.

Please God don't let the following happpen, a)Don Givens makes him quit the Int scene B)He develops a drink/psychological problem c)Awful injury or gets over sensitive about his bonce.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Nice comments from the Burnley fans. Could he be our next Roy Keane I wonder?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    And to think UCD turned him down for a scholarship
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post

Bye any chance are you a Claret youngirish

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo View Post
    My goodness, they are raving about him.Garvan and McCann our future super midifeld, wih McCarthy to come on as sub.
    Unless Garvan has been injured, he hasn't been in the Ipswich side recently. Came on as a sub yesterday. Not a good sign.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    This is what Coyle said last season:

“I don’t want to heap pressure on him, but in his position and at his age, I’m not sure I’ve seen a better player. Chris has been immense since I came in and I think he’s going to be a top player who will play at the highest level.”

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast