Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris McCann (D/M Shams b.1987)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

Chris McCann (D/M Shams b.1987)

By all accounts young Chris McCann is having a great start to the season at Burnley. Only just 21, he has been easily one of Ireland's most impressive performers in the Championship thus far (perhaps only second to Doyle) and has played in every minute of every league game and scored a goal in the cup.

If he continues to perform in this manner there is a real possibility that Burnley will lose him to a Premiership club in the January transfer window. This would mean he could be a real option for Ireland in some of the later qualifiers in what is a problem position for us (central midfield), so it's worth keeping an eye on him.

Personally I think it would be criminal if he wasn't called into the senior squad in the future because he fell out with the tactically retarded Don Givens at U21 level.

Anyway here's what the Burnley fans think of him:

http://boards.footymad.net/mboard/fm...mid=2128356995
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/09/2008 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A lot has been said this season so far and he is improving every game , I have only seen him once this season and he looked quite good even thou I was told it wasn't one of his better games . A lot of talk if Burnley will be able to keep hold of him come January as he will have scored 6 or 7 goals by that time . Now as for Givens we all know the score but I would love Trap to have a look at him I would very much love to see him called up for the Poland game if only to be with the squad , the lad has a big future i would say .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am happy for Trap to make a call on these things I must say. I would not have called up Glenn Whelan to start the two games and he has gone on to prove a lot of us wrong, some more than others. So to paraphrase the Arsenal fans.

In Trap we trust.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Very promising for the future but "future" being the keyword. There's no reason for him to be called up this campaign, he's not ready.

Come 2010 though the likes of McCann, Gibson and Garvan should be looked at.
    If McCann does continue his fine start to the season and gets a move to the Premiership then Trap will almost certainly have a look at him as long as there's no hangover from the Don Givens incident. We are hardly blessed with Premiership quality central midfielders (even Whelan is only Championship quality imo) and it would be unwise to overlook a decent one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    All of these players should be looked at and then Trap should make a judgement call. I am off the view that Trap knows way more about the game than I or anybody else on this forum does, so I am happy with his call.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Now if he was to catch a game I would say Reading v Burnley on the 4th Oct would be quite interesting for him with more than one egg in the basket so to say .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I can't see Trapattoni calling up any new faces (ie players that haven't featured in any of his squads to date) between now and the end of the WC qualifiers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post
    Now if he was to catch a game I would say Reading v Burnley on the 4th Oct would be quite interesting for him with more than one egg in the basket so to say .
    Didn't he say he hasn't been to any games over in England? Not trying to stir anything up but I'm pretty sure that is the case.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Didn't he say he hasn't been to any games over in England? Not trying to stir anything up but I'm pretty sure that is the case.
    Stir up what?

And yes he was at a match in England. Colombia were playing.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    I can't see Trapattoni calling up any new faces (ie players that haven't featured in any of his squads to date) between now and the end of the WC qualifiers.
    With over a year to go that would be a foolish strategy more at home in the Steve Staunton school of management.

Surely he needs to play the best players at his disposal (albeit that fit into his system) . I would hope Garvan, McCann, St Ledger and O'Dea would all get a lookin at some stage before the qualifiers finish.

Let's be honest it's not like we currently have a team of world beaters now anyway. A 0-0 draw against Montenegro is not world cup qualification form whatever people like to believe at the moment. Kerr got far better results than that.

We need to improve to qualify and one of the main ingredients needed for improvement is new faces.
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/09/2008 at 3:19 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    With over a year to go that would be a foolish strategy more at home in the Steve Staunton school of management.

Surely he needs to play the best players at his disposal (albeit that fit into his system) . I would hope Garvan, McCann, St Ledger and O'Dea would all get a lookin at some stage before the qualifiers finish.

Let's be honest it's not like we currently have a team of world beaters now anyway. A 0-0 draw against Montenegro is not world cup qualification form whatever people like to believe at the moment. Kerr got far better results than that.

We need to imporve to qualify one of the main ingredients needed for improvement is new faces.
    Just one thing. I would say that Montenegro were better than any team that Kerr's teams beat away from home in a competitive match.

Georgia and Cyprus were not better.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Just one thing. I would say that Montenegro were better than any team that Kerr's teams beat away from home in a competitive match.

Georgia and Cyprus were not better.
    True but we didn't beat them. We should have went for it as they didn't look too good to me but we seemed happy to take the point.

Kerr drew with the French, Swiss and Israelis away who are all significantly better teams than Montenegro who looked to be average at their best moments and poor the rest of the time if we are really going to be honest.

Last week was a missed opportunity that may well come back to haunt us.
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/09/2008 at 3:38 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Montenegro are better than Georgia and Albania were then.

AFAIR we were never that comfortable against both of them away.

The last comfortable away result we had was against Estonia (not counting the Faroes).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post

We need to improve to qualify and one of the main ingredients needed for improvement is new faces.
    No. Choping and changing the side without building a team is the Steve Staunton school of management.

Our players will thrive in the knowledge that they have their manager's loyalty and trust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    We are going to get injuries , players suspended and even a dead grannies no doubt , so why not have a few of these lads in for the Poland game , that's what I am saying as we will have to brood them at some stage if things get bad on the points that I have made .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret Murph View Post
    We are going to get injuries , players suspended and even a dead grannies no doubt , so why not have a few of these lads in for the Poland game , that's what I am saying as we will have to brood them at some stage if things get bad on the points that I have made .
    Yes - but we only made 3 subs in the recent matches against Georgia and Montenegro. Players that were in the squad for those games will get their run out in the Poland friendly.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    The Poland game would be a great chance for him to have a look at a couple of new faces but wouldnt think it would be very many unless there are alot of withdrawals
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I keep forgetting about McCann.

McCann, Garvan, JJ O'Toole, Stephen Quinn, Gibson are really interesting prospects. I already think Garvan is beyond "prospect". Who else is there - am I missing anyone?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

McCann, Garvan, JJ O'Toole, Stephen Quinn, Gibson are really interesting prospects. I already think Garvan is beyond "prospect". Who else is there - am I missing anyone?
    Jamie Mc Carthy
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

There's a good prospect at my local club here in Sweden. He's not Irish as such - but he's a good Catholic lad.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast