Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris McCann (D/M Shams b.1987)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    McCann played well without being outstanding. Seen Fergie in the crowd, wonder who he was watching.

Really impressed with Owen Coyle as a manager. Perhaps well worth keeping in mind when Trap ends his tenure with us.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    McCann played well without being outstanding. Seen Fergie in the crowd, wonder who he was watching.

Really impressed with Owen Coyle as a manager. Perhaps well worth keeping in mind when Trap ends his tenure with us.
    I agree that Coyle has been very impressive and has the potential to be an Ireland manager in the future; however, if Trap's reign is successful, you've got to think that one or both of Brady and Tardelli will be his successor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post

He was probably watching potential semi final opponents.

I thought McCann did ok without being spectacular. Hard to judge on tv.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I thought he was average at best but improved in the second half as Arsenal pushed forward. Put in a good cross in the second half where the Burnley striker (Patterson) should of scored and made it 3-0.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    to be honest, ive kept track over here in the papers and any clips i have of their run, and he has never been the one i have noticed to stand out, or more importantly the journalists, again this could be a case of ppl clutching at straws, but he doesn't look anymore than a championship performer at the moment.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Come on Paul the only way to comment on a player is to see him play in the flesh prefereably or at worst on Tv.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    i saw extra time of the chelsea game and a stream of the second half last night. Fair enough its not loads but im saying from what people are saying here that if he is that good and will be in the premiership then he would want to be standing out in games(against the premiership teams), and ive read about most of their games this year to see if he has been mentioned and he hasn't.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I agree I think 3rd Policeman in particular is OTT in his praise for a good lot of the Championship players.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I've not seen much of him either.

It's a fair point.. But to have that much playing time under his belt at that age is commendable and bodes well.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    PeePee coyles side is a young side. I'd love to see the stats and how many others there are that have "that much playing time under their belts". I'd guess they all pretty much have the same at burnley in or around his age! Wheres EB or tets when ye need them
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    PeePee coyles side is a young side. I'd love to see the stats and how many others there are that have "that much playing time under their belts". I'd guess they all pretty much have the same at burnley in or around his age! Wheres EB or tets when ye need them
    I don't know if Burnley is that young of a side- I thought I heard the commentator say that the team that lined up yesterday had an average age of 27...(may be wrong though).

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Average age of the Burnley side was 27 last night. McCann was the second youngest. Only Kevin McDonald was younger, he just turned 20. Only Silvestre, Bischoff and Fabianski were older than him on the Arsenal team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I agree I think 3rd Policeman in particular is OTT in his praise for a good lot of the Championship players.
    I dont think its OTT to suggest that we look at these players when our current centre midfielders are not exactly dominating the opposition. Coyle has praised McCann's contribution on several occasions and said that he believes he has premiership pedigree. Garvan and O'Toole have both been linked with premiership teams in recent weeks. I am quite happy to be judged on what these players actually deliver, but I still think its bad that Trapp, Tardelli and Brady have not been going to watch our Championship players until last week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I do not think anybody would disagree that the players you mentioned should be looked at and also tried in B matches and in friendlies. But you have not just said that and you have been OTT in your comments on their virtues in my view.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    McCarthy is playing in an advanced role for Hamilton though, a sort of in the hole position. Though obviously they have been getting a few beatings, so I assume hes having to get back and defend more
    When I've seen McCarthy he's playing of a 3 man midfield in a 4-3-3. Maybe they went more defensive at Celtic park but I didn't see that game.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    i saw extra time of the chelsea game and a stream of the second half last night. Fair enough its not loads but im saying from what people are saying here that if he is that good and will be in the premiership then he would want to be standing out in games(against the premiership teams), and ive read about most of their games this year to see if he has been mentioned and he hasn't.
    Constantly getting excellent reviews by the Burnley fans on their forum. Many of their comments posted in this thread. Owen Coyle clearly rates him as a premiership player too.

Just one comment from a Burnley fan from their forum:
    "wouldn't look out of place in that Arsenal side. Quite possibly the best midfielder I've seen play for Burnley."

Again he really reminds me of McCarthy. Looks a really intelligent player and can pass the ball but doesn't dominate possession. For every 2 or 3 passes Alexander was making, McCann was making one. Stephen Ireland is playing twice as many passes per game as he was last season so I wouldn't worry about that. McCann definitely looks a player.

I think an important point to make about him is a lot of players of his age with his energy would run around a bit like headless chickens in a match like last night. He looks to have a lot of composure and intelligence. For one of his runs forward he could have played a quick hopeful through ball as he had 3 Burnley players ahead of him with Arsenal caught out a bit. He waited until the exact moment that an Arsenal defender came out to tackle him and laid it off to the player the Arsenal defender was previously marking. Probably should have led to a goal.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 03/12/2008 at 5:50 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    When I've seen McCarthy he's playing of a 3 man midfield in a 4-3-3. Maybe they went more defensive at Celtic park but I didn't see that game.
    I know McCarthy has his own thread so I wont dwell on it here but in Hamiltons win against Killie (at home) at the weekend, it was definitely a 4-5-1 formation with McCarthy playing in an advanced role of the 5, just off the Hamilton lone striker Offiong.

I havent seen that much of him, only highlights on Setanta and the game at Celtic Park, where he was very quiet to be honest.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I dont think its OTT to suggest that we look at these players when our current centre midfielders are not exactly dominating the opposition. Coyle has praised McCann's contribution on several occasions and said that he believes he has premiership pedigree. Garvan and O'Toole have both been linked with premiership teams in recent weeks. I am quite happy to be judged on what these players actually deliver, but I still think its bad that Trapp, Tardelli and Brady have not been going to watch our Championship players until last week.
    Give him his full title please: Former Longford Town midfielder Marco Tardelli

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As having seen Chris play this season and in the past seasons also , one thing that sticks out each year he gets better and better . Everyone at Turf Moor knows he he could move on in January if the right offer comes in as the Club are losing £4 million a year so the sell to survive which has always been the same .Put it this way the fans on the Burnley messageboard vote for for the best player in each game and and Chris is top of the pile , why do you ask simple as he is the best player we have at the club .
    He will make an international but when is the question .

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I do not think anybody would disagree that the players you mentioned should be looked at and also tried in B matches and in friendlies. But you have not just said that and you have been OTT in your comments on their virtues in my view.
    Sorry if you find my views OTT, but I happen to believe that some of our uncapped Championship players (McCann, Foley, Garvan, St Ledger and Walters) are better that some members of the current squad (Whelan, McShane, Miller, Folan). It remains to be seen whether I am right or wrong, but according to your criteria ("seeing players in the flesh") I may just be better qualified than you to speak, as I have seen all these players playing in the flesh over the last 2 seasons whilst watching games at Wigan, Preston and Burnely.

In the meantime I am not going to be constrained from expressing opinions about individual players or the tactical capabilities of Trap or Benitez, just to please you.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Anyone watching this lad tonight? Didn't get a chance. How's he doing? Position?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast