Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keith Andrews starts for blackburn

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Keith Andrews starts for blackburn

Keith Andrews starts for blackburn alongside stephen reid, i have never seen him before, so I will be watching on a stream.
    Know nothing about him but he is starting for a premiership side!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He came within an inch of scoring with a good 1 2, seems a decent player

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Nearly scored, width of a stud as the co commentator put it. The blackburn forum response baffles me? Why wouldn't they give a guy a chance. Had Blackburn signed some non descript Spaniard or Italian, they'd be excited about his first full start but because Andrews isn't a glamourous signing, they're not giving him a chance. I hope he scores today, had a great scoring record for MK Dons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Had Blackburn signed some non descript Spaniard or Italian, they'd be excited about his first full start but because Andrews isn't a glamourous signing, they're not giving him a chance. I hope he scores today, had a great scoring record for MK Dons.
    Agree completely. There are about ten or fifteen Irish players in the Championship and even below who would be good enough to play in the EPL; we're just not glamorous enough. Looking at Liverpool this year, I'd rather have Damien Delaney than the woeful Andrea Dossena. I'd rather have Andy Keogh than David 'Bambi on ice' Ngog. I'd have Garvan before Plessis. It's not fair!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Smile

Ah leave him alone Ciaran, just found out it's his birthday! Born 13-09-1980. Happy birthday Keith!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nearly scored, width of a stud as the co commentator put it. The blackburn forum response baffles me? Why wouldn't they give a guy a chance. Had Ireland called up some non descript reserve EPL or Championship player, they'd be excited about his first full start but because Fahey isn't a glamourous signing, they're not giving him a chance. I hope he scores today, had a great scoring record for MK Dons.
    That's the same with the Oirish fans.
    Last edited by Bohemian1890; 13/09/2008 at 5:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohemian1890 View Post
    That's the same with the Oirish fans.
    I think our attitude towards Keith Andrews on this forum has been one of cautious optimism - a 'wait-and-see' type of analysis - which is only fair. If he proves to be good enough at Premiership level, then consider him for the International set-up. If Andrews had signed for Blackburn from Bohs, Pats, Drogs or Cork, rather than MK Dons, we would be saying the same. We didn't go over-the-top in rating Roy O'Donovan when he made the big move, we're not going to do the same over Andrews now.

If Fahey is good enough, then surely he'll get a chance to play at a bigger club, at a higher level. I've said before that he doesn't have the physical strength to make it as an international midfielder, and a comparison with Wes Hoolahan is fair, imo. One weekend recently, 59 Irish footballers played first-team football in the Premiership, SPL and Championship. Like it or not, if Fahey wants to be considered for Ireland, he is going to have to join this company and excel therein.

Not all (O)Irish fans are EL-hating, bandwagon-jumping hypocrites. I'd love to see a Wexford Youths player go on to play for Ireland, but you have to be realistic. It's almost thirty years since a LOI player started a competitive international for Ireland.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 13/09/2008 at 5:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Thought he done well. Bizarre he's never got a break at this level before if he can do that consistenly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    Ince certainly seems to believe in Andrews ability to step up to the Premiership level

And Andrews still has hopes of playing for Ireland

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    I think our attitude towards Keith Andrews on this forum has been one of cautious optimism - a 'wait-and-see' type of analysis - which is only fair. If he proves to be good enough at Premiership level, then consider him for the International set-up. If Andrews had signed for Blackburn from Bohs, Pats, Drogs or Cork, rather than MK Dons, we would be saying the same. We didn't go over-the-top in rating Roy O'Donovan when he made the big move, we're not going to do the same over Andrews now.

If Fahey is good enough, then surely he'll get a chance to play at a bigger club, at a higher level. I've said before that he doesn't have the physical strength to make it as an international midfielder, and a comparison with Wes Hoolahan is fair, imo. One weekend recently, 59 Irish footballers played first-team football in the Premiership, SPL and Championship. Like it or not, if Fahey wants to be considered for Ireland, he is going to have to join this company and excel therein.

Not all (O)Irish fans are EL-hating, bandwagon-jumping hypocrites. I'd love to see a Wexford Youths player go on to play for Ireland, but you have to be realistic. It's almost thirty years since a LOI player started a competitive international for Ireland.
    Why should he have to leave and go to a foreign country to play for his own country??

Why do you think he has to go to Britian??If he played in France or Belgium for a mid table team would he be overlooked as he is not playing in the UK??
    Last edited by Bohemian1890; 13/09/2008 at 11:54 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Why should he have to leave and go to a foreign country to play for his own country??

Why do you think he has to go to Britian??If he played in France or Belgium for a mid table team would he be overlooked as he is not playing in the UK??
    France , no; Belgium, yes (see Dominic Foley)

I think this may have been discussed before!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The blackburn forum response baffles me? .
    Now I could say something about people from Blackburn but then again the mods would have a field day with me .

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was at the match and thought he had a decent first half but faded badly in second half where the game seemed to pass him by should have been subed as he did look to run out of ideas (so did alot of the others by the way) Keith Tracy came on on the left wing for pederson and looked good some good delivery, tall atheletic lad (dont know if thats his position I thought he was right wing)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Nearly scored, width of a stud as the co commentator put it. The blackburn forum response baffles me? Why wouldn't they give a guy a chance. Had Blackburn signed some non descript Spaniard or Italian, they'd be excited about his first full start but because Andrews isn't a glamourous signing, they're not giving him a chance. I hope he scores today, had a great scoring record for MK Dons.
    If Ince wasn't his manager at MK Dons he'd probably have never got a chance in the premiership so it's not just the fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

A bit rich, when you consider that the latest EL departees - two of the League's better players - have signed for Tranmere and Barnet.

This is off-topic - and I do think you're nit-picking on my original point, but I'll proceed anyway. Of course I'd love to see our best EL players bypass England and try their luck on the Continent, even for middle-of-the-road sides. And I think Fahey, simply because of his grounding at Arsenal's academy, could more than hold his own in a technically superior league. But if he has these kind of ambitions, why not get a good agent to alert European clubs to his ability, and actually make an effort to move? This gets back to what Stephen Hunt says; Irish players are often too honest, too unwilling to rock the boat. I know O'Callaghan and Gavin did this recently, but in fairness, they should have aimed higher than a mere sideways step. Andrews got a good move because he angled for it, made his feelings known, and though he got pilloried by the MK Dons fans for it, he went through with it, and yesterday brought his reward.

Have you considered that Irish players might just be too lazy, or afraid of having to settle into a European culture, learning a new language and all that? Irish footballers don't get a well-rounded education, unlike the Dutch, who are brought up learning at least three languages fluently and appreciating their opportunities in the wider world (while over 90% of Irish primary schools still have educational policies dictated by the Catholic Church, ffs). It's too easy to move to England, with all its cultural and linguistic similarities. That's why we have those 59 players (and much more besides) in Britain, and only Foley in Belgium, Finnan in Spain and those two kids in Italy. I'm not saying that's the way it should be - that's just the way things are. Angolan footballers end up in Portugal. Senegalese footballers end up in France. Cypriots play in Greece. The best Austrians have traditionally moved to Germany. Our lads go to Britain. Why? Culture, language, convenience, tradition, and money.

As for national selection, do you think Finnan will be 'overlooked' by Trapattoni now!? Connolly, Cascarino and others weren't overlooked when they played on the Continent. Ronnie O'Brien and Brian Launders were overlooked, because they spent their time on the continent playing for the likes of Veendam and FC Lugano. If Fahey moved to PSG or Anderlecht, he'd have every chance of being selected. But not Royal Antwerp or Calais. That'd be like signing for Barnet.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 14/09/2008 at 12:10 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A bit rich, when you consider that the latest EL departees - two of the League's better players - have signed for Tranmere and Barnet.

This is off-topic - and I do think you're nit-picking on my original point, but I'll proceed anyway. Of course I'd love to see our best EL players bypass England and try their luck on the Continent, even for middle-of-the-road sides. And I think Fahey, simply because of his grounding at Arsenal's academy, could more than hold his own in a technically superior league. But if he has these kind of ambitions, why not get a good agent to alert European clubs to his ability, and actually make an effort to move? This gets back to what Stephen Hunt says; Irish players are often too honest, too unwilling to rock the boat. I know O'Callaghan and Gavin did this recently, but in fairness, they should have aimed higher than a mere sideways step. Andrews got a good move because he angled for it, made his feelings known, and though he got pilloried by the MK Dons fans for it, he went through with it, and yesterday brought his reward.

Have you considered that Irish players might just be too lazy, or afraid of having to settle into a European culture, learning a new language and all that? Irish footballers don't get a well-rounded education, unlike the Dutch, who are brought up learning at least three languages fluently and appreciating their opportunities in the wider world (while over 90% of Irish primary schools still have educational policies dictated by the Catholic Church, ffs). It's too easy to move to England, with all its cultural and linguistic similarities. That's why we have those 59 players (and much more besides) in Britain, and only Foley in Belgium, Finnan in Spain and those two kids in Italy. I'm not saying that's the way it should be - that's just the way things are. Angolan footballers end up in Portugal. Senegalese footballers end up in France. Cypriots play in Greece. The best Austrians have traditionally moved to Germany. Our lads go to Britain. Why? Culture, language, convenience, tradition, and money.

As for national selection, do you think Finnan will be 'overlooked' by Trapattoni now!? Connolly, Cascarino and others weren't overlooked when they played on the Continent. Ronnie O'Brien and Brian Launders were overlooked, because they spent their time on the continent playing for the likes of Veendam and FC Lugano. If Fahey moved to PSG or Anderlecht, he'd have every chance of being selected. But not Royal Antwerp or Calais. That'd be like signing for Barnet.

Stopped reading after that if you think JOF was one of the leagues better players well i cant see why i should even argue with youMaybe a few years ago before he was made of glass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Stopped reading after that if you think JOF was one of the leagues better players well i cant see why i should even argue with youMaybe a few years ago before he was made of glass.
    Well, injuries or not, he was still one of the more talented strikers there. I've seen him play and score a couple of times when I went to the Cross and I still think he should have been aiming higher than Barnet.

If you choose not to read and debate the actual points of my posts, rather than nit-picking on meaningless nuances and constantly changing the subject, then I've nothing more to say. I prefer engaging in debate with people who present constructive, objective and well-resourced arguments and opinions. This is turning into a YouTube comment debate. Your original point (if there even was one) was that 'Oirish' fans were hypocrites for talking up Keith Andrews instead of Keith Fahey. I countered that with a reasonable point about the standard of LOI football and the comparative standard for international football, and why Irish players with any ambition usually end up in Britain. You bring up John O'Flynn being made of glass. Touché.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 14/09/2008 at 7:20 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Agree completely. There are about ten or fifteen Irish players in the Championship and even below who would be good enough to play in the EPL; we're just not glamorous enough. Looking at Liverpool this year, I'd rather have Damien Delaney than the woeful Andrea Dossena. I'd rather have Andy Keogh than David 'Bambi on ice' Ngog. I'd have Garvan before Plessis. It's not fair!!!
    Couldn't agree more! Good point.

Ciaran whats with the smiley face after your keith andrews point? Are you happy to see an Irish player lose 4-0 and perform badly just to prove your own ill conceived 'ideas'. You and all your posts are the most ridiculous, far fetched and yet entertaining things on this site. I dont know whether to thank you or call you a moron. A healthy dose of both i think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    @Supreme feet - three excellent posts, full of insight and perspective. Thank you.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I am a blackburn fan and Im really worried at the moment re: Paul Ince, we have conceded the most goals in the premier, Andrews is not the type if player we need at the moment to help cover back 4, We will loose Santa Cruz in January if this form continues, disaster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast