Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keith Andrews starts for blackburn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post

If Fahey is good enough, then surely he'll get a chance to play at a bigger club, at a higher level. I've said before that he doesn't have the physical strength to make it as an international midfielder, and a comparison with Wes Hoolahan is fair, imo. One weekend recently, 59 Irish footballers played first-team football in the Premiership, SPL and Championship. Like it or not, if Fahey wants to be considered for Ireland, he is going to have to join this company and excel therein.
    Who cares if he isnt good enough to play international football? At the moment I can walk down the road and pay 15 euro to see a quality player playing football the way it should be played. even if he was good enough to play for Ireland I dont think trapp would pick him! not really a cover every blade of grass kinda player..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quite possible Keith Andrews will have to play week in week out for Blackburn in the wake of Reid's injury. Will he be able to step up to the plate and is he an option for us if he does? Not seen a huge amount of him play, what are people's thoughts?

Is 28 too late for him to make the leap from L2 to the EPL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I've been impressed with what I've seen so far.

You can tell that he is confident, and can act as a driving force in midfield.

He is also strong and athletic.

Part of me was hoping he'd get the start against Cyprus.

My one concern is that he might be a tad too offensive for Trap. He really likes to push forward like a Gerrard-style centre-mid (don't get this confused with me saying he's as good as Gerrard, I'm just saying that he likes to drive forward like him).

What I'd like to see tried in Poland would be a Carsley-Andrews combination. They would be strong and would suit Trap's system, and with Carsley literally sitting in front of the back 4 all game, it would give Andrews that bit of protection if he wanted to drive forward from time to time.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Well, if Trap wants solidity, height and athleticism rather than flare then he has more options. Delap, O'Brien, Andrews and Carsley (ok, not the tallest) could all do what Trap seems to appreciate. In fairness, I thought Gibson did ok - it was Whelan that disappointed me more on Weds.

I know it's a long time ago, but Delap played a deep lying (ok, ok, I'll say it though it pains me: holding) role under Strachan at Southampton some years back and did it very well.

Any combination of these could realistically bolster midfield: defensively solid, capable of winning ball, capable in the air, capable of providing defensive cover and capable of keeping it simple. You wouldn't look to any of them to provide guile.

The answer is likely to be finding the right combo. Some players just understand each other better than others. Whelan seems to have complemented Steven Reid well, but Gibson less so. Maybe playing away where the impetus is on absorbing rather than driving suited Whelan better.

Of the younger players I think Garvan & O'Toole could be appreciated by Trap too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Quite possible Keith Andrews will have to play week in week out for Blackburn in the wake of Reid's injury.
    I read that Grella is back fit. Now this guy is the classic strong deep sitting midfielder - a key component of Hiddink's Australian team. If he's fit it'll be interesting to see if Andrews figures, though I appreciate that Andrews is more attacking, as IF86 points out.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I've been impressed with what I've seen so far.

You can tell that he is confident, and can act as a driving force in midfield.

He is also strong and athletic.

Part of me was hoping he'd get the start against Cyprus.

My one concern is that he might be a tad too offensive for Trap. He really likes to push forward like a Gerrard-style centre-mid (don't get this confused with me saying he's as good as Gerrard, I'm just saying that he likes to drive forward like him).

What I'd like to see tried in Poland would be a Carsley-Andrews combination. They would be strong and would suit Trap's system, and with Carsley literally sitting in front of the back 4 all game, it would give Andrews that bit of protection if he wanted to drive forward from time to time.
    In fairness I think Trap was happy enough for Reid to play more offensively then Gibson or Whelan did on Wed night, Reid has a good enough engine to burst forward and still get back quick enough to enable the team to keep it's shape. I don't think he was confident enough in Gibson or Whelan to do that against Cyprus.

Will be interested to see if he starts today, I think Ince believes in him....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have big hopes for this guy, ever cloud has a silver lining and all!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Just scored the equaliser for Blackburn against West Brom. Looks like he's settling well into the Premiership - 9 appearances so far. I'll be surprised if he doesn't play against Poland.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12