Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Steven Reid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Steven Reid

Would I be right in saying Stphen only played his 2nd and 3rd competitive matches for Ireland when playing Georgia and Montenegro?
    Or is it that he only started his 2nd and 3rd competitive matches?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Georgia was his first competitive start as a central midfielder. Previous starts (off the top of my head, Georgia home in 2003 and Germany away in 2006) were on the right of midfield. He's made a clutch of sub appearances in that position, notably in the 2002 WC, and against Albania (H, 2003), Russia (H, 2003) and Cyprus (A, 2005).

It's tragic that he's been limited to so little competitive action.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Its a big concern how injury prone he is. Even again wed night injury hampered his performance. Id imagine hes doubtful to play for Blackburn this wkd.

IMO he is fast becoming part of our core set of players that we simply cannot do without.

On a further point, i cant remember has he scored a goal for us yet? Considering the shot he has on him, we really should try and get a few goals out of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Its a big concern how injury prone he is. Even again wed night injury hampered his performance. Id imagine hes doubtful to play for Blackburn this wkd.

IMO he is fast becoming part of our core set of players that we simply cannot do without.

On a further point, i cant remember has he scored a goal for us yet? Considering the shot he has on him, we really should try and get a few goals out of him.
    According to wiki, he's scored 2 goals for Ireland. But I cannot remember either of them.

Edit: He scored against Russia, in a home friendly in 2002 (before the WC) and against Nigeria also in a 2002 friendly.
    Last edited by noddy102; 12/09/2008 at 2:51 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post

Didn't he score against Russia, a rasping shot that the keeper fumbled into the net? His debut maybe - same game that Colin Healy impressed in alongside Keane.

I've often felt that if he was told how bloody good he is he'd get better. The stop start nature of his introduction to the Premiership and also international football still leads me to think he feels he has to prove himself. You're right - he's a superb ball striker. I think it was he who played a ln crossfield pass to Keane on Wednesday. Quality.

PS: It's Steven Reid.

Steven, Aiden, Glenn, Darron. Our midfielders' parents are trying to confuse us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    See here for Steven Reids Record

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Steven is such a good player and he'll get better. Really think a club like Arsenal should take a chance on him in the centre of midfield as I believe he's good enough to play for them and flourish. He's probably not good enough to get into the centre of either Liverpool's or Chelsea's midfield but I'd have him over Carrick and Hargreaves any day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Steven is such a good player and he'll get better. Really think a club like Arsenal should take a chance on him in the centre of midfield as I believe he's good enough to play for them and flourish. He's probably not good enough to get into the centre of either Liverpool's or Chelsea's midfield but I'd have him over Carrick and Hargreaves any day.
    Maby not Hargreaves, but I agree he would be good for Arsenal. The problem is he is not really known as a defensive midfielder and they need someone to sit like Flamini did.

They need someone like Colin Healy.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Andrews and Reid start together in central midfield today. When was the last time we had an all Irish centre midfield partnership in the premiership? Miller/Reid? O'Shea/Miller? Kilbane/Carsley? They're not great options are they...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    His debut and first goal came in a friendly against Nigeria in 2002. I remember since I was given a match ticket for my 14th birthday
    Whoops! His debut was against Croatia in August 2001 (same debut as O'Shea and Clinton), first goal was against Russia in Feb 2002, if you look at the link above. Sorry to be pedantic!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Andrews and Reid start together in central midfield today. When was the last time we had an all Irish centre midfield partnership in the premiership? Miller/Reid? O'Shea/Miller? Kilbane/Carsley? They're not great options are they...
    Possibly Matt Holland and Andy Reid?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Possibly Matt Holland and Andy Reid?
    You're probably right. I'm sure John O'Shea played alongside Jack Warner's new BFF in midfield for Man U a few years back. I'll throw in a few more speculative ones... Townsend and Farrelly for Villa c. 1996? Barry Quinn and Carsley for Coventry c. 2000?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Is there any news about Steven Reid's injury and when he is expected to return for Blackburn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Rovers are playing Everton tomorrow in the League Cup, probably be an update on his condition in the build up to that
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Rovers are playing Everton tomorrow in the League Cup, probably be an update on his condition in the build up to that

Steven Reid is the latest player to join Blackburn’s injury list ahead of tomorrow night’s Carling Cup third-round tie with Everton at Ewood Park.

Reid pulled out of Saturday’s 1-0 Premier League victory over Fulham with a knee problem, and will now be out for another fortnight.

Reid joins David Dunn (Achilles), Vince Grella (calf), Benni McCarthy (groin) on the sidelines, while Aaron Mokoena is ill and Keith Andrews is cup-tied.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Hopefully the fortnight is accurate, would mean he would probably get a game under his belt before the Cyprus game. Unfortunately it doesnt look like Reid is ever going to get a long run of games injury free.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Is that the same injury he carried into the Ireland Montenegro game?

There was a case for him being substituted on the hour mark in that game.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    It must be so frustrating being so injury prone.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/mhqlididaumh/
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Latest Rte radio sports report, Reid is out for the season.