Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Whelan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bogwarrior View Post
    Getting a roasting over mentioning Stephen Kelly! Lads - he played every premier league game for birmingham last season and was runner up as their player of the year. I know they were relegated blah blah blah but he performed consistently well.

Finnan was let go by liverpool coz he's past it, and based on wednesdays inept display i think we should shift him on as well.
    Stephen Kelly had a better season than Finnan last year.

Finnan is still the better player.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I'm not just biased (I hope) but Benitez seems to have a blind spot when it comes to full backs, just like wenger with centre backs and keepers.

Espanyol's comments about Finnan were spot on: nothing flash, but consistently solid and mistake free. Always a 7/10.

It's hard to stand out (Bacary Sagna's hair apart) as full back unless you're a bad one.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bogwarrior View Post
    Getting a roasting over mentioning Stephen Kelly! Lads - he played every premier league game for birmingham last season and was runner up as their player of the year. I know they were relegated blah blah blah but he performed consistently well.

Finnan was let go by liverpool coz he's past it, and based on wednesdays inept display i think we should shift him on as well.

You are a loser if Finnan was Spanish he would still be there getting his game and most Liverpool fans(real ones)think it was a mistake to let him go.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    So I guess he was picked up by Espanyol because he's past it as well?
    Inept display? How many crosses came in from the Montenergrin's left wing? I didn't see any. Finnan was composed, calm, rarely gave the ball away, and linked well with the rest of the defence as well McGeady in front of him. Kelly will be back in the squad when he's recovered from injury, but there's no way he's going to displace Finnan on that form.
    Agreed - inept was over board but i didn't rate his performance. Caught out a few times by the winger, once which was nearly the cause of goal. Everyone makes mistakes fair enough but I think you're confusing the word calm with slow. He slowed everything down and pumped the ball long to their centre halves too often giving possession away far to cheaply. I'd like to see kelly given a chance in there.

As for Bohemian calling me a loser for having an opinon?! I'll laugh that one off Kiddo.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Bogwarrior has a point, I don't think Finnan is quite the player he was a couple of seasons back, I don't know if he should be dropped for Kelly but Finnan starting ahead of Kelly is no longer a no brainer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    So Ciaran any comments on Glenn Whelan after those 2 games.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Still omitted from the Stoke team, although two players who couldn't even make the squad, Delap and Lawrence, start on the wings. Whelan still has only 55 mins of Premier league action under his belt, all from the first day of the season.

He can impress Trap, so surely he should be able to impress Tony Pulis soon.
    San Marino are going to be a handful as the group goes on." - Steve Staunton reacts to performance against San Marino.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wouldn't personally have had Whelan in the team for the Georgia game, but fair play to him he repaid the faith shown by Trap in him, and again against Montenegro. 2 superb performances from him.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    against two of the weaker sides in our group.
    Montenegro are no worse than any of the teams in our group bar Italy.

And he was motm for me vs Georgia, even without his goal. He keeps things flowing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Montenegro are no worse than any of the teams in our group bar Italy.

And he was motm for me vs Georgia, even without his goal. He keeps things flowing.
    EB, ignore the troll
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ciaran you wrote the guy off with OTT comments based on very little evidence. He goes on to produce 2 performances that get him MOTM although I would have given it to Reid for the Georgia game but he was not far off. Anyway, will you go and eat humble pie my friend. You know very little about football as can be seen from your posts and time and time again you will be proved wrong by the evidence on the pitch. You are the weakest link goodbye.

hello all from Dubrovnik.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I'm a troll because I believe a Stoke reserve with a handful of caps and only notable performances against a 5th and 6th seed team still has a lot to prove? How very mature of you.
    You're a troll becasue you know nothing about football.

I could refer back to your many erroneous rants.

A few weeks back I replied explaining that role Glenn had been assigned a very particular role by the team management.

A role that he has been fulfilling since the Serbia game.

For the record I also clearly stated I was biased.

However there was no challenge to either of my claims from you, a challenge set to draw out the anti-Wh(o)elan mob.

I wouold almost guarantee you'd never seen Glenn play live before his first fill Ireland cap whereas there are others amongst us whom have followed his, and others like him, since they were kids in the ark.

That's why you are a troll but there are so many other examples freely available to anyone by searching and reading your posts.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Probably the worst player on our team against Georgia but played very well against Montenegro. He's a useful player and could become something better but it's early and it was against two of the weaker sides in our group.

Hasn't nailed down a place at Stoke and hasn't faced any of the big guns yet so I'd say he's still fairly unproven at the highest level. But he's promising.
    Probably the worst player on the team against Georgia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mate you are becoming very tiresome and i fail to see why people take your seriously on her. You dismissed Whelan on very little evidence, and so faryou have been proven very very wrong. And just so you now there is life outside of the Premiership. Yes he is getting little game time now, but he was instrumental in Stoke acheiving promotion last season and was also very consistent with Sheff Wed. Also if you had seen much of him in the under 21s, which im fairly sure you didnt, you would have seen that the guy has many talents. You dismissed him based on **** all and im glad you have been shown up because of it!!
    Last edited by carloz; 14/09/2008 at 4:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If he does that he will be one of the best midfielders in the world as they are that. You dismissed him and now the bar is he has to stamp his authoritity all over Pirlo and De Rossi. Talk about raising the bar.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Like I said 5th and 6th seeds. If Glen does the same to Bulgaria and Italy then I'll gladly eat humble pie but until then I remain sceptical. I love how people are acting like he's the "real deal" because he held his own against the giants of Montenegro. He had 2 good games which brings promise but nothing more. Does it mean he's going to stamp his authority all over Pirlo and De Rossi? If he does I'll be thrilled but we'll see.

Agree with this. Whelan did better than I expected against Georgia and Montenegro, but what we dont know is how well someone else (ie Andy Reid, Joey O'Brien, John O'Shea, Rory Delap) would have done in that role. I still have a feeling that he will be found out by better opposition.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    There's very few right backs in the world that could displace Finnan. Stephen Kelly I'm pretty sure isn't one of them.
    Very few RB's in the world better than Finnan? I think you are slightly overrating him just a bit there.

Anyway I'm delighted for Whelan, a lot of people dismissed him but he had 2 very good games for us, against Georgia I thought he was second only to Reid and against Monty I think he deserved his MOTM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There's very few right backs in the world that could displace Finnan. Stephen Kelly I'm pretty sure isn't one of them.

Am I missing something here?! Are u actually saying steve finnan is one of the best right backs in world football?!? I love the roll of the eyes after the comment as if it is the most obvious thing in the whole world!

Ciaran ciaran ciaran... will you ever learn!

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I honestly don't think that Whelan is a very good player. If I were the manager of a Premiership team, I would totally pick Andy Reid over him in central midfield.

The difference is that this is international football - Trapattoni is trying to get us to play a very simple 4-4-2 system. The two central midfielders (Steven Reid and Glenn Whelan in this case) sit right on top of the two central defenders and break up play. We're not going balls to the wall and risking getting caught on the counter-attack by anyone. This is the reason that under Trap I don't think we'll score very many goals but any goal we concede will have to be well-earned, as they must break down nine players including the keeper to score.

Lee Carsley would definitely go in ahead of Whelan in this system. From what I've seen, Whelan is a very limited player suited excellently to our current system. He is not suited to a system of a Premiership team, although I think Stoke could well take a page from Trap's book when it comes to putting men behind the ball, or else it will be a short season for them this year.

The fact that he started Whelan against the weaker teams in our group says to me that is Carsley isn't fit, he'll likely stick with Whelan over more creative, attacking players like Andy Reid and Stephen Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I honestly don't think that Whelan is a very good player. If I were the manager of a Premiership team, I would totally pick Andy Reid over him in central midfield.

The difference is that this is international football - Trapattoni is trying to get us to play a very simple 4-4-2 system. The two central midfielders (Steven Reid and Glenn Whelan in this case) sit right on top of the two central defenders and break up play. We're not going balls to the wall and risking getting caught on the counter-attack by anyone. This is the reason that under Trap I don't think we'll score very many goals but any goal we concede will have to be well-earned, as they must break down nine players including the keeper to score.

Lee Carsley would definitely go in ahead of Whelan in this system. From what I've seen, Whelan is a very limited player suited excellently to our current system. He is not suited to a system of a Premiership team, although I think Stoke could well take a page from Trap's book when it comes to putting men behind the ball, or else it will be a short season for them this year.

The fact that he started Whelan against the weaker teams in our group says to me that is Carsley isn't fit, he'll likely stick with Whelan over more creative, attacking players like Andy Reid and Stephen Ireland.
    Stephen Ireland doesn't play for Ireland anymore!
    Always look on the bright side of life

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Stephen Ireland doesn't play for Ireland anymore!
    Ah but he will again in the future. If Roy came back then Stephen Ireland will be back.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast