Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Glenn Whelan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Though I didn't see the game myself, Whelan got a great write up in the guardian, mentioning how at home he is in the Premiership up against a midfield like City's, and by most accounts played well again.

So that's Whelan now playing regularly and well in the Premier League, Gibson stepping up to make regular enough appearances in the United first team, whilst Ricky Sbragia is the third manager in six months not to deem Andy Reid worthy of a starting berth. So what'dya know, turns out Trap may have been a better judge of player then people watching five minute highlights on MotD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    turns out Trap may have been a better judge of player then people watching five minute highlights on MotD.
    Well it didn't really matter how many minutes were being watched earlier in the season cos Whelan and Gibson weren't playing any. Gibson still plays hardly anything outside the Carling Cup and lets face it, that's not gonna change in the business end of the season. I think Whelans performance on Sat is being grossly overrated here but people are entitled to their opinions. Wouldn't be the first time I didn't think he contributed as much as other people (ie. Georgia/Montenegro).
    Last edited by DeLorean; 03/02/2009 at 1:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    Wouldn't be the first time I didn't think he contributed as much as other people (ie. Georgia/Montenegro).
    But in fairness would you not start doubting your own opinion if thats the case? If I thought a certain player didn't contribute much in a game and others thought he was the teams most influential player I'd definitely start doubting my own opinion unless I had literally watched that 1 player from start to finish. Because it's not really a matter of opinion. He was either involved a lot or he wasn't. I'd tend to side with those that thought he was involved a lot because i doubt they were imagining it, while it's quite possible to not notice a players contributions.

Before Whelan scored against Georgia myself and my mate commented that he was probably motm. The goal sealed the motm for me.

This is your comment from the game:
    "I was at the Georgia game and hardly noticed him to be honest other than the goal which was a crap shot in the first place."

Don't take me up wrong but unless I and a few others fell asleep during that game and dreamt of Whelan being heavily involved I'd be doubting your own analysis!
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 03/02/2009 at 5:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    But in fairness would you not start doubting your own opinion if thats the case?
    Well I'd be willing to accept that maybe I underestimated his performance against Georgia as there was drink involved as well as being behind the goals, where a match is never seen properly. I haven't seen the match since. I wouldn't budge in relation to the recent performances in which I have seen him as he would probably be the player I would be tracking more than most. These games were Stokes home matches against Man U and Liverpool as well as the City one at the wkd. For me he did little or nothing in these matches, he rarely even touches the ball and dispite comments futher up this thread I don't think he's remotely tenacious in his tackling. His set pieces are adequate in that he floats a ball into good areas without them being particularly difficult to defend against. In addition to these matches his performances against Poland and in particular Cyprus were shocking. So to answer your question in relation to the Georgia match-yes I do doubt my own opinion of his performance and would like to see it again but overall- no, if I don't rate a player's performance(s) I'm not overly concerned if it differs to others.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 03/02/2009 at 6:13 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Whelan did make a terrible blunder early in the match against City (passed the ball to Ireland who should have scored). After that he played his part in breaking up City's play. Solid performance. Will a solid performance be enough against the Bulgarian's and Italian's? We will soon find out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    Well I'd be willing to accept that maybe I underestimated his performance against Georgia as there was drink involved as well as being behind the goals, where a match is never seen properly. I haven't seen the match since. I wouldn't budge in relation to the recent performances in which I have seen him as he would probably be the player I would be tracking more than most. These games were Stokes home matches against Man U and Liverpool as well as the City one at the wkd. For me he did little or nothing in these matches, he rarely even touches the ball and dispite comments futher up this thread I don't think he's remotely tenacious in his tackling. His set pieces are adequate in that he floats a ball into good areas without them being particularly difficult to defend against. In addition to these matches his performances against Poland and in particular Cyprus were shocking. So to answer your question in relation to the Georgia match-yes I do doubt my own opinion of his performance and would like to see it again but overall- no, if I don't rate a player's performance(s) I'm not overly concerned if it differs to others.
    Just to point out I'd agree that he was relatively poor in the last 2 Ireland games and wasn't involved much in the 2 club games you mentioned. I think most of us would agree with that. I'd just tend to believe those that say he played well against Man City because there's been a few.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Just to point out I'd agree that he was relatively poor in the last 2 Ireland games and wasn't involved much in the 2 club games you mentioned. I think most of us would agree with that. I'd just tend to believe those that say he played well against Man City because there's been a few.
    Fair enough, they're all wrong though and I'm right but whatever....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    I thought the package dunphy had put together was very unfair on him tonight. I'm sure i could have found as many incidents of half a dozen people losing the ball. It wasn't his best ever game, but he wasn't terrible. Just Ok imho

"I don't like to pick on an individual" - Pull the other one Eamo

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    I thought the package dunphy had put together was very unfair on him tonight. I'm sure i could have found as many incidents of half a dozen people losing the ball. It wasn't his best ever game, but he wasn't terrible. Just Ok imho

"I don't like to pick on an individual" - Pull the other one Eamo
    Was at the game so only saw a portion of the analysis that was on rte.ie. But doesnt listen to Dunphy, he is too sensationalist and changes his mind all the time. Souness talked sense, very average with a really good chance of qualifying and a very good result tonight particularly in the circumstances.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Glen gives the ball away a lot as he was wont to do at Sheffield Wednesday and as he will continue to do for Ireland. Some times he is excellent but by and large he can be quite average but other than Andy Reid who doesn't play the same role, I am not sure what other options we have.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Whelan is average, maybe less than average, technically, but I think we'll see the best of him against better opposition, where his defensive skills will be the key.

Maybe Andy Reid would have been more effective tonight, but I feel that Whelan's athleticism and style of play will be of greater import in our matches against the big teams in this group.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    whelan was better today than any other game so far. BUt he was still poor lads, his touch and control is very poor. Only half decent at tackling. Andrews was a lot better, his passing is very good. him and s reid could be a great midfield.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Glen gives the ball away a lot as he was wont to do at Sheffield Wednesday and as he will continue to do for Ireland. Some times he is excellent but by and large he can be quite average but other than Andy Reid who doesn't play the same role, I am not sure what other options we have.
    I think this is one area where we do have options, but alas we have not taken the opportunity to see what they can do. Garvan could certainly play in the Trapp system and his touch and distribution are way ahread of Whelan. McCann has consistently looked promising and looking slightly further ahead there's McCarthy and O'Toole. I also think that Ireland could play in this role, contrary to popular myth he does tackle, he is willing to track back and his passing from deep to the likes of Keane, Doyle and McGeady could be lethal. O'Shea could also do a fair decent job inthis system if we had cover options at CB like ST Ledger for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I also think that Ireland could play in this role, contrary to popular myth he does tackle, he is willing to track back and his passing from deep to the likes of Keane, Doyle and McGeady could be lethal.
    He definitely couldn't yet imo. He still has a very attacking mentality. I know he tracks back a lot more but so do a lot of wingers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Garvan could certainly play in the Trapp system and his touch and distribution are way ahread of Whelan
    have you seen garvan play a full competitive international cause i havent? when he has played in such a game we can make a comparison. would love garvan to become a very good player for us but the jury is still out. was overshadowed by gleeson in the u21 match the other night

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    He looks a better player with Andrews alongside him as opposed to Gibson!
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    have you seen garvan play a full competitive international cause i havent? when he has played in such a game we can make a comparison. would love garvan to become a very good player for us but the jury is still out. was overshadowed by gleeson in the u21 match the other night
    In fairness Gleeson played in the position of most influence. Garvan had to support Sheridan. I like Gleeson though. Definitely my motm against Germany.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    In fairness to Garvan his is usually a central midfielder but on Tuesday night he played much more forward supporting Sheridan. When he did drop back to his normal position things started happening.
    Always look on the bright side of life

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    A brilliant late equaliser by Whelan against Villa this afternoon.

If Trapp would let the central midfielders get forward a little more both Andrews and Whelan have shown today that they can be potential goal options.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    When you've got Duff and McGeady already pushing forward, adding just one more to that would really open up central midfield. Andrews and Whelan have already scored for Trapattoni (plus Andrews' disallowed goal against Georgia) so it looks he's given them free reign to shoot from distance, and to push up from set pieces - just not from open play.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 01/03/2009 at 5:19 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast